Merging two objects via Export not working

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I was making a shirt and something went wrong on one side....not sure how, but I didn't notice it until it was too late. (i.e. I spent a while fitting it just right, then noticed the back of one arm had some edges stretched straight out)

The only way I could think to fix it, and keep symmetry is to use the Symmetry Tool. So, I removed one X half of the object, and performed the Symmetry (Clone) tool, and got a copy.

Now I need to weld them, but want to keep my mat zones (shading domains), and I found the thread where it says to export the OBJ, and it will weld them, and keep mat zones, as long as the two OBJ's are named the same.

Problem is...they don't all weld. Some do and some don't? It's almost like some are not close enough to be picked up by the Export weld, but I don't see any settings for that?

Any thoughts on what to do? I am thinking by using the Symmetry/Clone tool, that they should be in the exact same spot, since there is not an option in that for an offset. Anyone have any problem with this feature? I have checked all of the check-boxes, like merge equal...

Comments

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

Forget it, I was able to fix it in Blender by Remove Doubles...

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Happy to hear that you found a solution.

Hexagon's ability to weld together things with the same name AND keep the uvmaps isn't exactly a feature so much as a discovery somebody made awhile back. Before making a symmetrical copy, that middle line has to be "straight" so hopefully the weld can happen having the lines close enough to weld. I haven't tried using it for clothing but it has come in quite handy for larger objects to get better uvmaps. For eg. if you wanted to have a doorknob on a door but want the two to be one object for rigging in D/S.

edited December 1969

Yea, maybe this was my problem! "" that middle line has to be “straight”"

In any case I got it fixed! Actually seeing if I can sell something I made in Hex. Woohoo!

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited March 2015

my method for saving UV's after a weld is actually a lot simpler. Just make sure you've selected one of the UV domains on the left side, so that it is highlighted blue, then do the weld. The domains should be intact after the weld. This also works for collapsing dynamic geometry after smoothing with UV domains.

I guess I'm just a wizard ;)

Post edited by useroperator on
    edited December 1969

That's interesting! I'll have to try that next time :) Thanks for the tip!

edited December 1969

my method for saving UV's after a weld is actually a lot simpler. Just make sure you've selected one of the UV domains on the left side, so that it is highlighted blue, then do the weld. The domains should be intact after the weld. This also works for collapsing dynamic geometry after smoothing with UV domains.

I'll have to try that too, thanks.

edited December 1969

Might want to check those uvmaps. I tried this every which way and no, the uvmaps go "poof" everytime.
    One can keep the Shading Domains, but not the uvmaps.

If you are keeping the uvmaps, maybe there's another step involved?

edited December 1969

I am making a new item now, and just decided to change my process around to (1) Hex weld and finish obj, then (2) roadkill/UVMapper for UV's, and (3) back to Hex for materials. On Step 3 now, but so far so good. :)