General 3d modeling question specifically involving Displacement Maps

FMM_UWF_6b886030dbFMM_UWF_6b886030db Posts: 24
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I'm asking it here in the Hexagon subforum because (doy) Hexagon's a modeler.

If you apply a Displacement Map to a model, is there a way to export the model WITH the Displacement Map applied to it?

(I don't mean exporting the model with a Displacement Map *texture* applied, I mean exporting a model with the geometry having been modified BY the Displacement Map. Like when you apply, say, a detailed Celtic Cross disp-map to one of the sides of a plain cube--is there a way to export the modified cube?)

Comments

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited March 2015

nope, a displacement map is just that, it tells the renderer to displace the poly's based on the map -- like a bump map except it displaces the poly's on the fly. the higher the poly's, the smoother the displacement map. if it's just a single face, then no actual displacement will take place. you can however, use a program like sculptris, with its brushes, to create geometry from flat images/bump maps, and that will physically displace the polygons of a model, permanently.

displacement is often used as a trick to save resources.

Post edited by useroperator on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Hexagon's a bit confusing here, it has displacement painting which does affect the geometry of the object and can be exported.

The function of the displacement brush that allows the user to add to the built in displacement maps, also allows displacement maps to be applied to an entire object. Its kind of an undocumented feature.

There was a thread here a while back that described how to do it, but I have not found it yet.

I posted an explanation, but if I can't find it I'll upload the images again.

edited December 1969

I could not find the old thread, so here are the images. To use displacement mapping (or texture mapping) the object must be UV mapped first. I don't explain how to do that here. I have used a flat grid as an example, but it will work with other objects.

Also note, the objects needs enough subdivision to be able to show displaced details.

5_hexagon_displacement.png
    1280 x 1024 - 483K
    4_hexagon_brush_brick.png
    1280 x 1024 - 361K
    3_hexagon_brush.png
    1280 x 1024 - 167K
    2_hexagon_smoothing.png
    1280 x 1024 - 153K
    1_hexagon_grid.png
    1280 x 1024 - 139K
  • FMM_UWF_6b886030dbFMM_UWF_6b886030db Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

So if I'm looking at that correctly, you click "Validate" after applying a disp. map to the object in order to basically rasterize the newly-displaced object?

That's actually very helpful! (Because trying to do it using the contour feature in Metasequoia is a total pain, and super hit-or-miss)

Are Transparency Maps able to be rasterized in the same way?

edited December 1969

After you change the map and click on the flood fill/paint bucket, then click "Validate " and the displacement map will be applied.

Regarding transparency maps, although I have not tried them, I expect they could be applied in the same way.

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited March 2015

for me, I have to adjust the alpha mask rather than the displacement to get the desired result.

Post edited by useroperator on