Hexagon Crashing- ?????

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I create a cube primitive. Then I create another smaller cube primitive and use the boolean operation to cut a hole through the larger cube with the smaller cube. When i try to save that as an obj it crashes. It saves to an obj without the cut out no problem. Am i doing something wrong? Is my version out of date or is it time to move on to a new 3d modeler? If I recall, Hexagon hasn't been supported for years. Kind of fond of Hexagon. :(

Hexagon 2.5.1.79
W7 64bit
I7 3.4ghz
16 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 570

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

That crash is caused by having too many n-gons - with the model selected, go to Utilities>Triangulate n-gons.

• edited December 1969

Thank you. That fixed the problem. Having limited knowledge of 3d modeling, i don't understand the problem as i have had objects with thousands of faces i've worked on in Hexagon and been able to save as an obj. without crashing.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

It's not the number of faces, but the n-gons - more than 4-sided faces - that cause it to crash. Hex can handle some, but when there are several, this causes a problem.

Don't ask me to define the difference between "some" and several", just avoid having any :)

To find out whether your mesh has these nasties in it, with the object selected, go to the top menu Selection>Select over-4-point faces.