Iray Ghost Light Fix (dse) for Daz Studio 4.20 o later

Comments

• A fully supported ghost light solution. Ghost lights used to be dependent on bugs in Iray and would stop working when those bugs got fixed. However, this release provides ways to create lights and flag them to have fully supported ghost lights that will keep working even as Iray is updated.

aha ... fairytale stories

https://blog.daz3d.com/daz-studio-4-20-volumetric-clouds-smoke-and-fire-effects/

• artistb3 said:

ronstringfellow said:

Lonesome Cowboy said:

Hi, i made some tests now with the fix and i must say it has no effect.

i loaded a ghostlight, selected it and loaded the script.
    The script shows every gl in the scene, i click on "Apply fix" and nothing happens and the script window doesn't close itself. Is this correct?

Tested in DS 4.20 beta

- normal gl has no effect in lighting
    - gl with fix makes the scene darker and adds a strange shadow into the scene. This shadow only appears through the fixed gl, but not by the normal non fixed one.
    - i was not able to make the gl work with the fix too.

Unfortunately I'm getting the same result. As of 4.20, none of the ghost lights emit light in renders, the script doesn't fix them, and as per previous suggestions, i attempted cranking up the luminance (tried one at 700,000), also changed the luminance units to lm, no dice. Nothing seems to pick them up, in fact the only light that seems to render - at all - are distant sun lights.

Actual Ghost Lights (as sold in the DAZ store) do work in 4.2.  In order to test, simply multiply your Luminance value by 1000000.  You should see the scene lighting up similar to your last render. However, if your Ghost Light is in the camers' field of view, you will likely see lots of fireflies.  If you change the Luminance Units to lm and then scale the light to 0.001, you will have a very different light than the one you started with. I strongly suggest that everyone affected by this submit a ticket.  I know it's a pain but, in my experience, that is what actually gets DAZ's attention.

Thanks, that helped :) I was using the IGLK ('Iray Ghost Light Kit', iirc) before, but nothing i did with them was working. After reading your message, I decided to try purchasing the "SY Inivisilights Iray" package, and they work like a charm. I could've sworn I purchased the IGLK kit from the daz shop, but it wasn't working for me whatsoever. In any case, SYIL requires a little tweaking of luminance to get them to where they were before, but they don't require a script, so much obliged for the suggestion. smiley

• I also tried the script and multiple settings and I can't get any of them to work either. I bought all the packages I could afford to get at the time. I also don't like the idea of having to buy them all again just to get it to work with the latest build. 

• I expect DIM is going to be full of product updates

first, opacity, tiff image files and now this

I wonder what is next

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited February 2022

barbult and jag11,

I think there might exist a method that provides a sufficient outcome.  It starts with this: Applying the jag11 script and bumping up the luminance.  The opacity can be left at 0.0000001. In my testing, this appears to work with both Ghost Lights and with other "ghosted" emissive objects. No need to change the opacity. No need to set the Luminance Units=lm and no need to scale the object down to <= 0.01. Also, I need to verify, but likely no need to change the Refraction Weight.

However, for this to be better than sufficient, we need a way to calculate the new luminance value based on the current value and luminance unit type. 

If the scene does not require one to be concerned with reflective surfaces (e.g. window glass, mirrors, reflective metals, etc., etc.), then applying the jag11 script will do.  But I think there is going to be a "what gives?" moment when folks start seeing ghosts show up in rendered scenes containing windows, mirrors, reflective metals, anything that reflects. 

Attached is yet another test scene for you.  As for the luminance value, well, I simply started adding zeros until the object emitted sufficient light.

Thoughts, comments, curse words?

duf
    duf
    Scene5.duf
    Post edited by artistb3 on
  • Lonesome CowboyLonesome Cowboy Posts: 153
    edited February 2022

Attached is yet another test scene for you.  As for the luminance value, well, I simply started adding zeros until the object emitted sufficient light.

Thoughts, comments, curse words?

i am positive surpriced that your solution works in my system :-)

Now i have to find out why your file works and mine not. oh oh oh ....

I created a new plane with the settings described here .. . but no success :-(

Post edited by Lonesome Cowboy on
  • Lonesome CowboyLonesome Cowboy Posts: 153
    edited February 2022

The IGK - Iray Ghostlight-Kits seem to be removed from the shop

Can't find any more.

Post edited by Lonesome Cowboy on
  • Lonesome Cowboy said:

The IGK - Iray Ghostlight-Kits seem to be removed from the shop

Can't find any more.

I heard they took it down to try and either fix it or provide an upgrade for a price. Not sure what was decided yet.

• Harold KerryHarold Kerry Posts: 3
    edited February 2022

OK I figured it out. If the script does not work for you, change the cutout opacity from 0 to 0.00000001 and then add zeroes to the luminosity value and/or Luminous Efficacy.

Post edited by Harold Kerry on
  • We've been saying the forums for years, backup installers. D/S also has other rendering engines such as for 3Delight. That we ever could use ghost lights was because we were taking advantage of a glitch. The glitch has been fixed. And from what I've been reading, I am not upgrading for awhile. Think I'll wait for a new computer and D/S5.

edited February 2022

Catherine3678ab said:

We've been saying the forums for years, backup installers. D/S also has other rendering engines such as for 3Delight. That we ever could use ghost lights was because we were taking advantage of a glitch. The glitch has been fixed. And from what I've been reading, I am not upgrading for awhile. Think I'll wait for a new computer and D/S5.

I only wish I had not "upgraded".  Seeing what I have seen and knowing what I know (okay, forget that one), I live in abject terror of a DS5.  Remember the famous website "upgrade" from all those years back?  How about DAZ "upgrading" from G1 to G2 to G3? Any compatability nightmares from that period?

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617

Does this work on the latest general release 4.2?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

artistb3 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

We've been saying the forums for years, backup installers. D/S also has other rendering engines such as for 3Delight. That we ever could use ghost lights was because we were taking advantage of a glitch. The glitch has been fixed. And from what I've been reading, I am not upgrading for awhile. Think I'll wait for a new computer and D/S5.

I only wish I had not "upgraded".  Seeing what I have seen and knowing what I know (okay, forget that one), I live in abject terror of a DS5.  Remember the famous website "upgrade" from all those years back?  How about DAZ "upgrading" from G1 to G2 to G3? Any compatability nightmares from that period?

DS5 will not replace DS4 though, you will still have the latest version of DS4 in your account to download and you will be able to have both installed. (that was said in the DS5 news thread, and that's how they've done it for DS4 vs DS3).

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

areg5 said:

For the record, the latest general release is 4.20, not 4.2. Version number are not decimals, they're independant numbers (major version and minor version) separated by a dot.

And yes, it was made for 4.20

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited February 2022

Leana said:

areg5 said:

For the record, the latest general release is 4.20, not 4.2. Version number are not decimals, they're independant numbers (major version and minor version) separated by a dot.

Well, I haven't upgraded to the general release yet. I'm still using 4.16 because I saw the issues with ghost lights and I use them a lot.  I've been playing around with the Beta, and just getting my ducks in a row.  This is a great script, and it works fine if you up the lumes into the billions.  That's a bit of a pain in the ass, but the good thing is that once you get the light ball how you want it, you can save it as a subset and plop it into whatever you're working on.  Most of my interior light balls are temp 4000 and lumens 300, so I made a scripted light ball to correspond with that.

Next up is sorting out the issuesd with the OOT hair models. 

Post edited by areg5 on
    edited February 2022

Leana said:

areg5 said:

Leana, perhaps 4.2 is correct for two reasons: 1. There never was a 4.2 and 2. This revision takes 19 steps backward and 1 forward...

• thank you!

edited February 2022

Leana said:

artistb3 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

DS5 will not replace DS4 though, you will still have the latest version of DS4 in your account to download and you will be able to have both installed. (that was said in the DS5 news thread, and that's how they've done it for DS4 vs DS3).

Leana, you obviously have been around DS longer than I have.  I actually downloaded DS3 shortly before it was replaced.  However, I did purchase 4.0 right at the beginning (because I thought G1 was a good idea, Ha Ha) so I have "seen a thing or two", as they say in that insurance comercial.  From my experience, what I see in my crystal ball is that everyting will move forward at 5.0 MPH beginning with the new 5.0 release.  That will include stuff sold in the DAZ store, discussions here and on and on.  So, if one is late in upgrading, one is likely to miss out on newer happenins'.  I stuck with G2 probably longer than I should have because I did not want to deal with the compatibility hassles (and it was a hassle, a big hassle).

For example, take the dForce release.  After it was released, many of the new wearbles sold were dForce compatible.  Wasn't long before most of the wearables were dForce compatible (not to say it can't be used without dForce). Although DS continued to support Dynamic Clothing Control, I don't remember seeing any new dynamics sold in the store after that.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,287
    edited February 2022

artistb3 said:

Leana said:

areg5 said:

Leana, perhaps 4.2 is correct for two reasons: 1. There never was a 4.2 and 2. This revision takes 19 steps backward and 1 forward...

Snark aside, as I recall there was a 4.2.x.x series, it was during the public beta (4.5.x.x was the first full release).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Catherine3678ab said:

I don't remember the product mentioning it worked due to a bug.

... As such, that is not a valid reason.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,240
    edited February 2022

nicstt said:

Catherine3678ab said:

I don't remember the product mentioning it worked due to a bug.

... As such, that is not a valid reason.

Because you don't remember something makes a comment not valid? Good golly, what kind of memory do you possess? The glitch wasn't in D/S, it was with Iray and if you know where to read, you know it was documented. And no, I didn't keep links to it all. 

eta: Because the glitch was fixed, as in the cards have been updated, the glitch no longer exists hence people are a little miffed that the way we've been using ghost lights no longer works in D/S4.20. D/S4.20 is supposed to have another way to do the same thing but all that information hasn't been flowing freely all over the place yet.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,836

artistb3 said:

barbult said:

artistb3 said:

artistb3 said:

jag11,

Thank you very much for providing this workaround.  For what it is worth, my testing shows it to be the best one I have yet seen on the forum (here I am again today on the forum instead of working on my backlog, frustrating). 

I noticed that the script errors-out if the scene contains a Null (log: "Error in script execution"). Unfortunately, there are still a lot of content providers that use a Null instead of a Group (not to mention all of the propsets purchased in the DAZ store that include Nulls). I have attached the scene that I have been using for testing. I really, really hope that you will continue to work on this until DAZ builds a solution into DS (if they ever do, not holding my breath).

I have attached the scene that I used for testing. Just to give you an idea of how important this issue is to me, I used a variation on this light in just about every Iray scene I created. Hundreds.

I hate to do this but there is one other issue with this solution. Using the emissive object with the opacity set to 1.0 (which it must now be in order to emit), the object will generate a shadow.  Anyone know if there a workaround for this? If not, this would be a deal-breaker for me.

I set the opacity to 1 and refraction index to 1 and the refraction weight to 1. (after applying the jag11 script to add the new parameters.)

barbult,

Thank you.  Progress.  I probably should know this regarding refaction index and refraction weight. In your testing, do you see the "the light mesh in reflections"?  Did you find a workaround for this, as well?

Attached is a simple scene I used for testing.  It includes a plane with a reflective surface (Polished Aluminum Shader) in order to accomdate this test case.  The attached image shows the resulting render.

@artistb3 I found a better solution to the reflection issue in this scene (better than scaling the plane to a tiny fraction of a % to hide it, which makes the light very harsh).

1. The Scale factor of the Emissive Plane is negative. In the Parameters pane, change it from -1.7% to 1.7%.
    2. In the Surfaces pane, change Two Sided Light to Off.
    3. In the Parameters pane, change Enable Iray Matte to Off.
    4. (Leave the refraction index and weight at 1, like you already have them.)

I'd be interested to know if these suggestions work well for you. I haven't yet found a good case for using Enable Iray Matte On with the new ghost light scheme. Refraction works better for me. This technique is still young. I may be overlooking important things, but for now, I'm doing all my 4.20 ghost lighting with Enable Iray Matte Off and Refraction 1.

duf
    duf
    Reflection Test Render Fix.duf
    Reflection Test Render Fix.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 161K
  • jag11 said:

Small script to fix the ghost lights. This script enables the advanced Iray properties including the "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" property.

Brief instructions:

1. Download ZIP from the link below
    2. Save the content of the ZIP file in your Content Library/Scripts
    3. Execute "IrayGhostLightFix.dse"
    4. Select the emissive node you want to fix
    5. Click "Apply fix" button

After executing the script check your Parameters tab, you'll find two new properties "Enable Iray Matte" and "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" under path "Display/Rendering/Iray".

The property "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" controls light geometry visibility On = light geometry visible, Off = light geometry not visible.

HTH.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmOh6xLBzWu5vfJr66vE00P27GbQ8w?e=TIzD5k

Wow, thanks, it solved my problem.

• I submitted a refund request to Daz for the ghost light kits.  I just bought them at the end of January.

• This information may help:

• Posting this in case others have the same issue.

I had an existing scene with a ghostlight for which I'd pre-update set the opacity to .0001. It wasn't lighting up, I found this thread, installed the script, ran it, and nothing changed. So, on a whim, I set the opacity back to 1, ensured the other settings were as described above, and it works. Ghostlight is visible in the texture shaded view but invisible in the iray preview.

• stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 132

Will the direct download for the .DSE file in first post also be updated to the current version? It is still the outdated version from 2022-02-02, 21:41 (server time).

I'm not willing to sign up for a Microsoft account for downloading a file from there!

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

stefan.hums said:

Will the direct download for the .DSE file in first post also be updated to the current version? It is still the outdated version from 2022-02-02, 21:41 (server time).

I'm not willing to sign up for a Microsoft account for downloading a file from there!

This is the latest version, it is the same version posted in the OP.

zip
    zip
    202202190401 IrayGhostLightFix.zip
  • stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 132

Thanks a lot @jag11!

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 244

Thanks for this. Works like a charm!