Making Clothing tutorial(s) - Those Pesky Sleeves [New Links]

2»

Comments

• I do have a modeller I can get along with: http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk/misc/modeller.html , but it isn't Hexagon. And when I need an extra function, I write it. Oh. It's free too.

The version on my website is a couple of years behind what I have at home and it's missing my recent intermittent upgrades. It's an adequate modeller for Finite Element Analysis aimed at the NISA FEA system. I earned most of my income using it for a couple of years, as it was quicker & easier to use than the NISA modeller, meaning I could have a lower total price than competitor despite having a higher hourly rate.

However, after NISA got ditched in 2013 because it was incompatible with Win 7 on the new machine, I have adapted the modeller to do limited DS modelling that can't be done in SolidWorks. I have added other things like surface material group allocations and grouping of facets, renaming of both, and basic box & current view texture mapping (though UVMapper is generally easier for cylindrical and spherical mapping).

Stitching of vertices is relatively easy, with a 'Node Merge' function, and re-modelling locally is possible for facets that have incompatible vertex positions that won't merge. Splitting of sections of the model from the rest is possible too (as in opening a cut at the front of a T shirt). I've also added a 'De-triangulate' function to get rid of as many triangles as can be safely done. In my latest models, the facet numbers have been reduced to around 60% of the numbers before de-triangulation. 

There are options other than Hexagon, but obviously there are few of the advantages when you avoid using a package with a bridge direct into DS.

Regards,

Richard

• perlkperlk Posts: 854

Wow... this is pretty awesome. Anyone can use this, @richardandtracy ?

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,494
    edited February 2022

Yes, it can be downloaded by anyone. It's probably not easy to use, and I fear there are probably bugs. I haven't identified any with any certainty, otherwise I would have fixed them, but they are probably there. Once in a while the 'Automesh' dies on me, and I have never been in a position to work out why, and texture mapping seems to go screwy if 'De-Triangulate' is used on texture mapped facets, it's best to de-triangulate before texture mapping to be on the safe side.

I need to update the download file, it is quite a few years/iterations out of date. I can probably update that this week. The three manuals on the web page will give a flavour of how to use the program. There is a 44 page 'Quick Start Guide'. The 247 page 'Command Reference' is updated every time I add a command, otherwise I will forget how to use the commands!  There are a number of 'How To...'s in the 110 page User Guide including  a 'How To' on using the modeller to model for rendering packages and another on texture mapping using the original 'Current View' mapping (the current version adds box mapping to that method).

Unlike any current modeller, it's old fashioned enough to feel that vertex positions are important, and being and engineering program, vertices are called Nodes, and facets are called Elements, otherwise they are the same. The program can use all engineering finite element types, but 'Shell Elements' is the type needed for OBJ files. The program doesn't have a fixed scale. 1 unit could be one meter, one centimetre or 1 inch, you decide. Just stick to it! If you try to use the program, and run into problems, give me a yell, and I will try to help.

I avoid the stl import for the program, I now use the rather faster (and batch capable) STL-OBJ translator I wrote here: http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk/misc/stltoobj.html

I did start the programming for it in 2004, so it's been developed slowly over a long period of time. I have used it a lot, but it is rather out of date.

One mild irritation is that the Z direction is up, as was the case with all engineering programs I came across up to 2004. I've not been brave enough to introduce an option to have Y up. I shall have to look at it.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on

I'm sure anything you've written is about 2,000 times better than anything I've ever programmed ("Hello, world!" in Perl in 1999). When you get it updated, just let me know. I'd like to check it out!

• Just updated.

Regards,

Richard

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,241
    edited May 2022

1/2 way through editing the images for the next tutorial.

Heads Up for anyone wanting to purchase the Puppet Resource Mesh ... it is on its way to the Vault :-(  So buy it now if you want it, it's only $1 :-)  Vaulted items remain available in our Product Library for downloading. With this mesh one can start their own figures -- and CLOTHING!!!

Update: :-) Must have been so many bought it because it is still in the Store!!! Thanks Daz3D :-)

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

richardandtracy said:

Just updated.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks, Richard! Downloading.

edited May 2022

Making Clothing for Daz Studio, Part Two 2nd NEW LINK < == Click for Tutorial.

Here it is! Covered in more depth, making pJCMs in our clothing. Programs used: Daz Studio and Hexagon. Also making use of a highly recommended helpful product:

https://www.daz3d.com/pjcm-poses--for-clothing-creators-for-genesis-8  which just happens to also be on sale today :-)

Also the tutorial covers using dForce to help make some nice morphs for pJCMs.

Making Clothing for DS pt2 cover.png
    772 x 1000 - 1M
  • :-) https://www.daz3d.com/shapesinjector  is on sale atm.

We will be making use of this product in Part Three. It is a fantastic time saver!

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172

Catherine3678ab said:

:-) https://www.daz3d.com/shapesinjector  is on sale atm.

We will be making use of this product in Part Three. It is a fantastic time saver!

It says in the description for use with ZBrush or Marvelous Designer.  Is that all?  What  if we are using Silo or Blender?  Or even Hexagon?

Dana

edited February 2022

DanaTA said:

Catherine3678ab said:

:-) https://www.daz3d.com/shapesinjector  is on sale atm.

It says in the description for use with ZBrush or Marvelous Designer.  Is that all?  What  if we are using Silo or Blender?  Or even Hexagon?

Dana

It does not matter which modeller you make your morphs in. I am using it in Daz Studio, using Hexagon to physically make the morphed .obj. 

Where it saves time: one makes the FBM or the Ctrl morph, etc. exporting out the .obj. One has the figure "zeroed" with the clothing "fitted to" on it: one runs the script {telling it where to find the morphed .obj files} and watch the niftiest show as it very quickly puts the morphs into the clothing. One then polishes off the morphs {location, colour, whatever} and saves them.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172

I guess I have a lot of catching up to do since the last time I did anything.

Dana

edited February 2022

Part Three, covers making a FBM for a core Character {using ShapesInjector], is in the editing basket; expecting it to emerge in a few days.

edited May 2022

And here it is! Making Clothing in Daz Studio, Part 3 - Making Character Shape Morphs using ShapesInjector.

New Link

Making Clothing pt 3 cover.png
    772 x 1000 - 488K
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Thaniks Catherina, sounds like really valuable advice to start making clothes!

• Paintbox said:

Thaniks Catherina, sounds like really valuable advice to start making clothes!

You're welcome, enjoy :-) 

edited March 2022

I have been making some morphs for poses specifically made for Bugga Boo. To save somebody some hair, if one is trying to do this there are some things to be very aware of.

I am using D/S4.16.

In a fresh start of D/S, load G8F then immediately dial in the full {ctrl morph} Bugga Boo character shape. THEN load the clothing item on it. Have figure and clothing at base resolution, etc.. and then proceed to morph the clothing how you please.

If using dForce to get a starting drape, remember to clear that simulation from the garment before bringing in the morphed object to create the morph in the clothing. Reverse deformations of course as one does not want the pose in the morph.

Also in naming the new morph, do something like add "_Pose" to the end of it. I highly suspect that some of the poses for the figure are dialing in other morphs and we do not want these in our clothing.  Check the morph that it works. Then zero the morph.

THEN select the Figure [G8F as Bugga Boo] and clear the POSE [NOT THE SHAPE]. At this stage the clothing should be in appearance as it was when first loaded. Then select the clothing and save the new morph.

Then delete the clothing from the scene, load a fresh one, select the figure and pose it, to the garment apply the new morph, be sure it is working as intended.

At no time can one have the full figure G8F in that garment, while making these pose morphs. If you do, you get to close D/S and start over. Just saying.

7 pose morphs done.png
    1000 x 1000 - 821K
    edited May 2022

As I merrily continued working with this gown, I realized that there's a minor issue when it comes to trying to make replacement pJCMs for the hand actions. Can't. D/S won't recognize them. Possibly for a couple of reasons however we wanted to get something working here and so I did.

In a fresh scene, default figure, default clothing "fit to" said figure ... on the figure select the hand, find "bend" and slide that dial both up and down. For each hand there will now be TWO generated morphs in the clothing. To have the garment's sleeves keep the default shape; send the default clothing over the bridge to Hexagon OR export out an .obj. With that one .obj all 4 corrective morphs can be made. One by one of course. And give them unique names. And save them.

Then go to edit mode; find them in the Properties Hierarchy. Find the generated morphs in the clothing that are for the hands. From the Parameters Tab, click/drag one by one, the new morphs over to the appropriate generated pJCM. End result, when these are triggered into action, the new morphs will also be dialed in. Zero everything and save the new morphs AND save the generated morphs too {because these are the controllers for the new morphs}.

For the brief tutorial with images, Sharecg Link [all Sharecg links I have retired]

New Link Google Drive

Those Pesky Sleeves Cover.png
    772 x 1000 - 407K
  • cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 442

Currently trying to get as much input on this topic as possible, but following any of the links leads to:

Page Not Found

Error Found : Upload 98803 Not Found !!!

(example: https://sharecg.com/v/98803/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/Those-Pesky-Sleeves-tutorial)

Something wrong on my side or are the tuts not available anymore?

Yes you can still get them, I haven't reupped all of them yet. Figured I would if/when they were requested.

So here you go:  Those Pesky Sleeves [Google Drive link]

@  cgidesign Okay so all the links in the thread have been updated. IF there are any mismatches, let me know.

Thank you for your interest, hopefully something is helpful for you in these :-)

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 442

yes

Thank you. Dowloaded all four parts. Content is all fine - no mismatch, file corruption etc.

Great, thanks for the feedback :-)

edited May 2022

1st post's links were correct. Made a goofy on a post so here's the link for Pt. 2 zip folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zga80t9mE8lS2R7XMuYMTM25RtjcVh_N/view?usp=sharing