Import Export with DS problem

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
edited April 2015 in Hexagon Discussion

If I take a figure in DS, and export it to OBJ for Hexagon with groups (Write Groups -> Use Node Names, so that I can select and modify the part I want to work with), I cant seem to then save it back as an OBJ that DS will allow via Morph Loader Pro. (Geometry not matching)

I know there must be a trick to this, but I don't know it. I've tried the merge groups on save to Obj but that did not work?

If I use the Daz-Hex bridge, only the material groups come over, but the figure is a single group (nodes are not grouped)

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

For OBJ export/Morph Loader import, you need to set Genesis to Base Resolution.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited April 2015

Yep, I have that set...here is a picture of my Export from Daz Settings. If I do "not" check the groups option, then this all works fine.

The import/export options in Hex I leave everything unchecked.

(...and I have tried unchecking "Ignore Invisible nodes" and still same results)

ExportSettings.jpg
    938 x 820 - 186K
    Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

Appears to be a vertex order issue, I got it working in Blender instead.

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Appears to be a vertex order issue, I got it working in Blender instead.

Just so I understand you correctly, to avoid having the problem myself....

Do you mean to say that when exporting OBJ and loading in Hexagon and then saving back out the vertices got switched around in the OBJ?

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Just as a matter of interest, why did you want to export as groups? For years before we got the bridge, we used to have to jump through complex hoops to get the figure into Hex ungrouped, because it was normally necessary to make a morph across groups, for, say, a pregnant V4. Trying to match up the boundaries of the groups was a real nightmare!

If you wanted to focus on a specific part of the figure only, such as the head, then you export only the head.

Strikes me that if you exported as groups, then welded the groups on export from Hex, Studio was not getting back the figure which was exported, so the morph would fail.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Just as a matter of interest, why did you want to export as groups? [...]

I was wondering more generally why you would manually export instead of using the bridge to DAZ Studio. Isn't that exactly what it's for?

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

If Roygee is like me he uses Export OBJ and the Bridge option. I've got all the characters stored as OBJs in Default T and sitting poses so I can make my props to scale. The Bridge option is handy for making morphs.

edited December 1969

If Roygee is like me he uses Export OBJ and the Bridge option. I've got all the characters stored as OBJs in Default T and sitting poses so I can make my props to scale. The Bridge option is handy for making morphs.

So if I could restate what you said to make sure I understand it, you're saying that the bridge is what you use when you're making a morph, but when you're doing something else (designing a prop to go with a figure, or clothing, or whatever) that you import the OBJ so that you can have your new creation and the figure side-by-side in Hexagon so you can judge how well they work together in the same dimensional space? That makes sense to me.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2015

That's sort of what I get up to with Hex.

Depending on what I have in mind I use either Slosh's Measurement wall (or a 12 inch ruler) to get the scale of furniture, weapons etc. I also have Genesis 2 saved as OBJs so I can use that to check the scale of things as well. Just visual references.

I do not do figure morphing, but I do like to use the DS-Hex bridge to make things like drawers opening or raising the level of water in a glass.

Here's a link to the Measurement wall I mentioned -

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=brischloss

Just had a quick search, here's a tutorial I did a while back on making a sword, the first couple of screen grabs show how I normally do things.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44296/

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on