How to make a partly transparent/opaque object?

ab_963ab_963 Posts: 4
edited April 2015 in Hexagon Discussion

Hey.

Question no 1.
Is there a way to make partly transparent/opaque object. Is there for example a way to make some polygons more opaque than others? I am trying to make some kind of "gradient feather effect" for a 3d object.

Question no 2.
When I uv-map an object in Hexagon and save it as .obj and open it in Daz3d Studio the surface(uv-mapping) is gone. How can I transform the object in Daz Studio as it appears in Hexagon?

Post edited by ab_963 on

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

Hopefully this will work for you. All I've done here is to take a face from a cube (select a face, press I key to invert it and delete the faces).

Then I've added a few tesselations (makes it easier to pin) and chose the top edge and unfolded it. In the screen grab you'll see where it has been pinned.

Make a new material and name it. Save as a HXN file and Export obj.

With UVmapper Classic or UV-Viewer (both free on the net) create a new UVmap - You can save a map with Hex but it does not do a very good job.

Load the map you created into your art package and create your design. Normally in DAZ Studio you would load a Jpeg into the Diffuse channel, but for transparencies you want to load a PNG into the Opacity Stength one instead.

If I remember correctly - Black is invisible and White is visible. Have a play and see what happens.

grad.jpg
    1677 x 1004 - 180K