1940's Hollywood Glamour G8.1M characters. Help needed with upcoming freebie!

AOBBAOBB Posts: 957
edited February 2022 in Freebies

Hi guys,

I've returned from my two month trip during which I have sculpted three male heads for G8.1M to accompany the three female heads in my Hollywood Glamour series. It's good to be back on this forum. :)

I would like to ask you for help in fine-tuning the heads, so they are even more 1940-ish and more diverse. I need some inspiration to finish this project and this is where you come in (if you have any bright ideas and feel like taking the time to share them).It's been an uphill battle to make those sculpts and I still feel they could be improved upon, so please, let me know what are your thoughts about them. As usual - please be gentle... ;)

Cheers,

AOBB

Hollywood glamour male sculpts Profiles sml.png
1000 x 500 - 2M
Hollywood glamour male sculpts TQ sml.png
1000 x 500 - 2M
Hollywood glamour male sculpts Fronts sml.png
1000 x 500 - 2M
Post edited by AOBB on

Comments

• AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

I've fixed some problem areas that became apparent to me when I posted the previous images and this is how the faces look like now. My concern is that the man in the grey suit and the man in the sweater are too similar now. Is that just my tired eyes playing tricks on me or am I right? Anyway, these are the updated versions for your consideration. :)

AOBB

Dapper v1 Front.png
    492 x 670 - 1M
    Suave v1 Front.png
    482 x 670 - 1M
    Debonair v1 Front.png
    473 x 670 - 1M
  • Coming along nicely! Reminds me of art from JC Leyendecker. Can't wait to see the final results and thanks for your efforts!

Wow! I had to look up JC Leyendecker and I see what you mean, vicartist. Indeed, I was going for this sort of look not knowing there was someone who nailed it already (if in another medium).

I am glad to share with you all my work, so you are welcome. :)

AOBB

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited February 2022

You are back, welcome again. I hope you enjoyed your sabatical. 

I agree that the 1st two they are very similar. To remedy that you could take a look at 1940s movies and use them as inspiration. I already mentioned that cartoon "Bob the Science Teacher with a Pipe" gag that used to be a popular meme before memes were memes even. Another inspiration is they've shown a movie a few times recently on my local PBS station called "Anchors Aweigh" that stars Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra as two male 40s leads.

If you look at that movie you're gonna notice that the 2 characters you've made already are trending towards looking like Gene Kelly, especially the 1st. What I'd try to do is make the 1st look like Gene Kelly and the 2nd like Frank Sinatra. Sinatra was a little guy judging from that movie. I don't realize that, by the time I had heard of him he was a Las Vegas headliner along with the rest of the "Rat Pack" (Frank Sinatra, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, & Sammy Davis Jr if I remember right).

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Hi nonesuch00,

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes I enjoyed my time with my family very much. :)

I tried changing the darker guy to Gene Kelly but it didn't work. I guess I'll create yet another character from scratch based on someone with a distinct look (has to be good-looking too - after all it is Hollywood Glamour!). I have to give that choice some careful thought, so I don't end up with more of the same...

Anyway, thank you for your advice. It is always good to hear from you. :)

Back to the drawing board now!

Cheers,

AOBB

• perlkperlk Posts: 854

All of them have similar chins and jawlines. You could modify a bit there. But otherwise, these are phenomenal and I can't wait to download them when they come out!!!

• perlkperlk Posts: 854

What program are you using to sculpt? I used to use Zbrush but now it's too expensive.

I'm seriously excited for these :-)

edited February 2022

Hi perlk,

I've been working hard to create a character that is definitively different and I gave him a distinct jawline! :) He's the rugged, silent type. Good for westerns and war type images/animations. I have also reworked my guy in the tails suit, because I found him sort of weird looking. He turned out pretty young but I like him. Still mulling over the guy in the sweater. Here is where I am now:

As for what software I use - my subscription on Zbrush ran out when my credit card expired and I haven't renewed it, so I am using Zbrushcore (I have a permanent license for it) which is perfectly adequate for the job. If you want to do just sculpting then Zbrushcore is great and not that expensive - I believe it is around $185 and comes in soooo handy. :) Then of course there is DAZ with assorted morph collections and 3ds max (2008 in my case) which I use to morph back into shape the eyes, teeth and inner mouth of the characters I am working on, as they get totally squished and gnarly during the sculpting process. I also use 3ds max for small touch-ups of the head shapes. That's it.

I hope I won't disappoint you with my work, perlk. I'm giving it my best.

To all of you - how does my Hollywood combo look now?

Thanks for your help! It is greatly appreciated.

AOBB

Debonair Front.png
    494 x 670 - 1M
    Rugged Front.png
    462 x 670 - 1M
    Suave Front.png
    457 x 670 - 1M
    Post edited by AOBB on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656

In the late fourites there was Kurt Douglas. I believe the in thing then was the cleft chins or butt chins. Cary Grant, Ava Gardner, William Holden. Your sweater guy looks like a young college alumi that just needs the cleft to be the next leading man.

AOBB said:

Hi perlk,

I've been working hard to create a character that is definitively different and I gave him a distinct jawline! :) He's the rugged, silent type. Good for westerns and war type images/animations. I have also reworked my guy in the tails suit, because I found him sort of weird looking. He turned out pretty young but I like him. Still mulling over the guy in the sweater. Here is where I am now:

As for what software I use - my subscription on Zbrush ran out when my credit card expired and I haven't renewed it, so I am using Zbrushcore (I have a permanent license for it) which is perfectly adequate for the job. If you want to do just sculpting then Zbrushcore is great and not that expensive - I believe it is around $185 and comes in soooo handy. :) Then of course there is DAZ with assorted morph collections and 3ds max (2008 in my case) which I use to morph back into shape the eyes, teeth and inner mouth of the characters I am working on, as they get totally squished and gnarly during the sculpting process. I also use 3ds max for small touch-ups of the head shapes. That's it.

I hope I won't disappoint you with my work, perlk. I'm giving it my best.

To all of you - how does my Hollywood combo look now?

Thanks for your help! It is greatly appreciated.

AOBB

They are starting to diverge, like maybe that are distantly related somehow but not the same person aging as earlier might possibly be thought.

Great thought, DollyGirl! :) I've done my best to implement it but it doesn't show very much in the front view, so here is the new leading man in 3/4 view:

Suave Three Quarters new.png
    473 x 611 - 1M
    edited February 2022

It's great you are seeing them now as distinct, nonesuch00. That is definitely good news. I forgot to mention in my previous post to DollyGirl that I have made the rugged guy's eyes smaller which looks more natural. I think I'm nearing the end of the sculpting phase of this project! :)

AOBB

Post edited by AOBB on
  • K8sGraphicsK8sGraphics Posts: 56
    edited February 2022

The guy in the tux kind of reminds me of George Peppard (although not a 40's actor). The one in the sweater kind of reminds me a little of a young Humphrey Bogart and the rugged one if his lips were a little thinner kind of resembles William Holden a bit. So they definitely have that kind of old movie star look to them in my opinion. 

(Even though most of the actors were quite old by the time I came around, my mom loves old movies so I kind of grew up watching them). 

Post edited by K8sGraphics on

Thank you, K8sGraphics. I hope you enjoyed those old movies just llike your mom did. I'm pretty well versed in old movies thanks to my mom too! :)

Thanks to you all for your kind words and support. :)

Cheers,

AOBB

I like it. It is amazing how just a little detail like that changes the whole look. I sculpt in clay and in the morning my bust looks one way and by the end of the session I have gone and added so many details that you do not recognize the piece. And why are we so attracted to cleft chins? Maybe we are just influenced by all those old movies.

Hi DollyGirl,

Here he is in front view (I've worked some more on that dimple):

I believe finding cleft chins attractive is a genetically hardwired thing. The cleft is a dominant (genetically speaking) trait and women are drawn mostly to men whose gene pools consist of dominant genes. Men on the other hand prefer women with recessive genes (like the gene(s) for blond hair). I know - terribly dry and scientific. LOL. 

Those old movies from the 40's really were about very masculine men. It was war time. Testosterone and dominant genes were in high demand. I've read that Cary Grant had his suits tailored to fit him like a military uniform would - flawlessly. Yes, those broad shoulders, square jaws and dimpled chins... :)

I'm glad that as someone who does sculpting you appreciate my work, DollyGirl. I'm honored. :)

AOBB

Suave Front cropped.png
    465 x 653 - 1M
  • K8sGraphicsK8sGraphics Posts: 56
    edited February 2022

I love those old movies not because of the strong guys, but rather those moments of gentleness they show and the strength of the women in them. As someone who preferred to be the dragon tamer over the damsel in distress, I loved the class and strength of the women in those old movies. They were what I aspired to be - strong, independent, and utterly badass.

I wouldn't know about the cleft chin thing, as I've never been entirely drawn to them. I do like a guy with dimples, there is something honest and cute about dimples. As a traditional artist and painter, I'm drawn to all those tiny details that make a person unique. Those minuscule flaws which give us definition and make each of us a little different from all the rest. Those are the things that make an image, painting, or character come alive. 

In any case, those little details I was talking about are what draw me to the characters I choose to use or buy. I'm not necessarily looking for handsome or overly beautiful characters, but characters that are different and have personality showing before ever even being posed or done up. These morphs definitely have a lot of the aspects I look for when I'm deciding on what to get or download to add to my library. So well done. 

Post edited by K8sGraphics on

I find I like the very old comedies and shows better too. 

K8sGraphics - I always loved Jimmy Stewart. Especially in "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" and Cary Grant in "Bishop's Wife". Those old movies had such magic in them and such a warm heart. I wish movies nowadays were made like that. Sigh... And speeking of strong ladies - Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn! Wowee! What Dames!

nonesuch00 - I love "It Happened One Night" and all the silent comedy classics but I find I cannot watch "Duck Soup" for example. I adore the "The Philadelphia Story" too. So many movies to love... :)

Oh, and I absolutely love Audrey Hepburn - in "My Fair Lady", "Roman Holiday" and from a different kettle of fish - "Wait until Dark". What a luminous being she was.

AOBB said:

K8sGraphics - I always loved Jimmy Stewart. Especially in "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" and Cary Grant in "Bishop's Wife". Those old movies had such magic in them and such a warm heart. I wish movies nowadays were made like that. Sigh... And speeking of strong ladies - Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn! Wowee! What Dames!

nonesuch00 - I love "It Happened One Night" and all the silent comedy classics but I find I cannot watch "Duck Soup" for example. I adore the "The Philadelphia Story" too. So many movies to love... :)

Oh, and I absolutely love Audrey Hepburn - in "My Fair Lady", "Roman Holiday" and from a different kettle of fish - "Wait until Dark". What a luminous being she was.

Duck Soup was on either Tubi, Roku, YouTube one, not sure which but it was definately on, back between Thanksgiving and Christmas last year. Couple of other Marx movies were too.

Interesting thing I realized was now on these modern monitors I can tell that Groucho Marx had a grease paint mustache and my whole life I had believed his mustache was a very big and weird, but a very real mustache, nevertheless.

Your welcome AOBB. Yes I can see your young college boy being a veteran and getting a degree with the help of Uncle Sam. I can see him with a fedora and trench coat and looking for the Maltese Falcon. I can see him standing on the battlefield in Gettysburg listening to Abraham Lincoln deliver Four Score and Twenty. Or maybe an image of Sgt York.

DollyGirl - I am thrilled that you are so inspired by my work! That is awesome. Thank you so much! laugh

nonesuch00 - Somehow the Marx Brothers' movies never did anything for me. Just not my kind of humor. I can appreciate them on an intellectual level but they leave me cold. I have never noticed that about the moustache. LOL.

AOBB

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,876

nonesuch00 said:

AOBB said:

Duck Soup was on either Tubi, Roku, YouTube one, not sure which but it was definately on, back between Thanksgiving and Christmas last year. Couple of other Marx movies were too.

Interesting thing I realized was now on these modern monitors I can tell that Groucho Marx had a grease paint mustache and my whole life I had believed his mustache was a very big and weird, but a very real mustache, nevertheless.

If you've ever seen a picture of the Marx brothers out of costume, it immediately becomes obvious that the reason they all had such outlandish personas was because they look almost exactly alike.

• Oh AOBB, I totally missed this thread! blush I hadn't checked the freebies pages in a bit and only came back to post the render with Alluring and her Panda PI. And here you are with the morphs already!! xD

They look really great!! smiley I just downloaded them from your other post. I'm already very curious what they are going to be like once given a role and a scene...

That's true, Gordig. And they weren't much to look at in the first place, so the costumes covered that up too, LOL.

SapphireBlue - I am very much looking forward to seeing your renders with the new guys on the block. Just changing their eye color and hair (brows included) will give you a totally different character, so you can get a lot of "mileage" out of them. Have fun! 

smiley

Here's the link to the finished head morphs:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/552301/1930-s-1940-s-hollywood-glamour-g8-1m-head-morphs-no-textures#latest

Just so you can find them more easily if you come across this thread...

AOBB

AOBB said:

DollyGirl - I am thrilled that you are so inspired by my work! That is awesome. Thank you so much! laugh

nonesuch00 - Somehow the Marx Brothers' movies never did anything for me. Just not my kind of humor. I can appreciate them on an intellectual level but they leave me cold. I have never noticed that about the moustache. LOL.

AOBB

I find them very boring compared to 3 Stooges. 3 Stooges I still crack up out loud. I don't know why, but I don't mind a bit that I do. laugh

Gordig said:

nonesuch00 said:

AOBB said:

If you've ever seen a picture of the Marx brothers out of costume, it immediately becomes obvious that the reason they all had such outlandish personas was because they look almost exactly alike.

I've never seen them out of costume. I'll have to look some old pictures up.

AOBB said:

Here's the link to the finished head morphs:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/552301/1930-s-1940-s-hollywood-glamour-g8-1m-head-morphs-no-textures#latest

Just so you can find them more easily if you come across this thread...

AOBB

Thanks very much.

As for the goofiness of Three Stooges, I don't mind it one bit, even though it is not my kind of humor. You are forgiven then, nonesuch00! LOL wink