Circular Array Script

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
edited March 2022 in Freebies

Please find attached to this post a basic Circular Array Script

I do apologise for the delay after the Linear Array Script, but this has taken longer to get right than I expected. 

The first thing you need to decide is how many objects there will be in the array. It defaults to 10. Then you need to decide if it's a full circle or a few degrees. Note: positive rotation is ANTI-CLOCKWISE about the centre of rotation when looking from above. 

Then entre the centre of rotation in world X and Z positions. Finally, decide if the instances stay at the same angle to the centre or all face the same direction.

The seed object can be used in more than one circular array. The image above consists of one prop, one character and four arrays. Only one object at a time can be arrayed.

So, I hope it's useful on a few occasions.

Regards,

Richard.

Circular Array Ad.png
1200 x 800 - 965K
Circular Array Window.png
212 x 284 - 22K
zip
zip
Circular Array.zip
Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Thank you

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

awesome! very useful and appreciated! i have enough random scatterers, i use the align panel a lot too - but a circular script, very simple/basic, that wa sorely missong! thanks a huge bunch ^^

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,842

This looks nifty! I'm going to try it out. Thanks.

• Hi, Could this script be used for a horse and rider going around in a circle for example in a circus ring? Cheers

• I hope it's as easy to use as I intend.

I initially made the instance group a child node of the seed object, but found that if it wasn't right & I deleted the group and all instances, they remained visible in the Iray render and preview, even though not visible in texture preview. I suspect it's an iRay implementation issue, but I may be wrong. I'm using 4.15.

I do agree, it is one of the simpler instancing scripts, but it does fill a niche that I think is not covered by any other script I've seen. It won't be frequently used, but there will be times where it'll be a pain if you don't have it!

• csteell_c2893e4ab6 said:

Hi, Could this script be used for a horse and rider going around in a circle for example in a circus ring? Cheers

If the rider (or horse) is parented to the other, then it should be possible to do it as one array rather than doing them individually. The thing to remember is that the instances will all have the same pose. If you change the pose of the seed, the pose of all will change (eventually) to match if your machine doesn't crash.

Regards,

Richard

It worked great! Thanks!!! (baby ducks circle around mama)

USC Baby Duck Circle.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • !!¡!!!! How did you do that so fast? Thanks for sharing though!

richardandtracy said:

!!¡!!!! How did you do that so fast? Thanks for sharing though!

I actually did a couple other things between downloading the script and creating this.  wink

• barbult said:

It worked great! Thanks!!! (baby ducks circle around mama)

That's lovely :-) 

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,118

~  thanx  ~

~  And Then 

which version of D-Studio ??

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Fanastic!  Thanks Richard!  

• ed3D said:

~  thanx  ~

~  And Then 

To the best of my knowledge it works in DS 4.anything, though it may be limited to DS4.5+. None of the help files give any limitations on the version relating to the methods used. If you are concerned, try it & see. You'll get all your money back if it doesn't work.

Regards,

Richard.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

richardandtracy said:

ed3D said:

~  thanx  ~

~  And Then 

To the best of my knowledge it works in DS 4.anything, though it may be limited to DS4.5+. None of the help files give any limitations on the version relating to the methods used. If you are concerned, try it & see. You'll get all your money back if it doesn't work.

Regards,

Richard.

i can certify that it works perfectly fine on my 4.11 version 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,898

very cool!

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited May 2022

Just trying and works awesome with several building like dystopia block !! Here the cool idea you can try. Load several building , line up / align them  into paralel line or whatever configuration you like  . Then parented all into one buidling so the script will think you have only one object. FIre the script and set higher number in X or Z option . TIck rotate object and boom its work just like Circular array in Blender with Collection

Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
    edited May 2022

I must admit I was pleased and surprised when both the circular & linear arrays worked on objects parented to one another.

Would be interested to see what you do with it. It's the sort of thing that could be done to create a model of something like the Royal Crescent at Bath (https://www.google.com/search?q=royal+crescent+bath&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiXo9H69fr3AhVioVwKHfmCAnUQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1302&bih=513&dpr=1) You'd only need one segment of the terrace & duplicate it round.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515

Ooh very nice thank you!

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515
    edited May 2022

very useful and fun laugh

theboatellaeffect.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by DigiDotz on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492

The script has a relatively small usage, but where used it can create interesting effects.

Regards,

Richard

edited February 2023

I found it really helpful for my StickyChain concoction. The lower chains draped between the torus and sphere are one chain with a StickyChain and 9 instances arranged with your script.

StickyChains with intances_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 1022K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • That looks fantastic, Barbult. I'm really pleased that it worked for you. Regards, Richard.