ISO tutorial how to create moving drawers

ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello,

I want to create a desk with moving drawers.

I saw existing ones where you can move every drawer individually.

As I have no idea how to start I hoped to find some tutorials how do implement this, but without success so far.

I have only basic knowledge in modelling so I'm open for tips for Hexagon, Silo or Blender.

Any hint is welcome

With kind regards,
Ruediger Kabbasch

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Not sure whether you want a tut on actually modeling the chest of drawers, or whether you want to know how to make the drawers move?

A quick Google search turned up a couple for Blender - here is one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7cy0pvHGUI

How you make the drawers move depends on what rendering application you will be using - Hexagon is purely a modelling app.

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Sorry, my question was not that clear (Nice tutorial anyway).

What I was really after is how to make the drawers moveable.
    I saw similar items for DS or Poser where you have a dial/slider to move the drawer in an out.
    It's clear that I have to create the desk and the drawers, but I can't figure out how to create the sliders/dials.
    That's the part I'm looking for.
    Finally I will use this in a game made with Unity, but I'm happy if I can see how to get this working with DS or Poser.

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

OK, remember I'm a n00b at this, so I may not have things exactly right :-).

I think what you want to do is add a rig to your model. You'll want to learn the basics of rigging and the "figure setup" tools (even though this is a prop, not a figure, they use the same tools).

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited May 2015

Simplest thing is to make the draw movement a morph. You would save out geometry with each individual draw pulled out and then load that into studio as a morph for the main geometry. Edit/object/morph loader (pro or advanced).

Not sure how it would be done for a different program like unity though.. Sorry

Post edited by Khory on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

You basically have three options for Daz Studio/Poser.

1. Export the body and each drawer out of Hex as an individual .obj file, import to Studio as such, so they will be separate items which can be moved by a translation slider - lock two of the axes to prevent sideways or up-down movement. This is the simplest.

2. Make the drawers morph targets and they can be moved by a morph slider. Bit more complex, because you would have to make a separate target for each drawer

3. Rig them with bones - this would be the most complex method.

I, too, am afraid i know nothing of Unity and how each of the methods would translate to that app.

edited December 1969

Thanks for all your tips, I highly appreciate it.

Now I have an idea where to start :-)

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited May 2015

I just made a quick video on using the DAZ Studio/Hexagon bridge, it is uploading now, not gone into great detail (no sound, sorry) but it will get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMpJ5gZaWdE&feature=youtu.be

Glad I only did the 2 drawers as this took forever to upload.

You will notice that I only selected the one face, the others were selected by holding down shift and the plus key.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the video.
    Exact what I was looking for.