What is the difference between Poser 10 and Poser pro 2014?

king.bidzinskiking.bidzinski Posts: 66
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I saw that Poser was on offer for 50usd over at Renderotica whats the difference as pro costs stupid money in comparison to 50usd, can anybody explain why I should pay the extra? and if its worth it?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

This page lists the Pro features. Note that Poser 10 is only 32-bit, http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-pro-2014.html

• king.bidzinskiking.bidzinski Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

So 10 cant do much really? and your better off with pro?

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

Poser 10 has dynamic cloth which is one of the main reasons folks like Poser. You can always upgrade to Pro later on if you really find you love Poser as a toolset. If you are focused on Genesis and Genesis 2 you have the DSON importer for Poser but depending on the power of your computer this may or may not be a pleasant experience and probably would work better in Poser Pro 2014 since it is 64bit.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387
    edited December 1969

Basically, PP2014 is mainly targeted at content creators or pro users. You will need it if you want to create Poser weight-mapped figures as the weight map creation tools are only in PP2014.
    PP2014 also includes the fitting room and morph transfer, which can be useful for content creation but also for regular use.
    Apart from that, PP2014 is 64 bits, so it will allow you to make bigger scenes as it can use more memory.

P10 can already do a lot of things, though, and for someone who does not do weightmapped content creation or scenes requiring lots of memory it's a good tool.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

Here is a matrix comparing the features of all versions of Poser back to Poser 7...

http://my.smithmicro.com/docs/poser/PPGameDev-P10-PP2014-P10-Debut-Feature-Comparison-Matrix.pdf

edited May 2015

I think my computer should be able to handle lots of heavy lifting, I've watercooled my Intel extreme not clocked at minute I set back to standard along with black edition Rog board a 980gtx 32gig ram running at 2400 and 4 ssds, I might just buy the pro version as it looks like agood tool to have but I do find daz looks better to me but am not sure what I prefare as I am new to using the tools but thank you all for the replays so far

Post edited by king.bidzinski on
    edited December 1969

Not sure if P10 / PP2014 still have a free trial available, but it might be worth checking that.

One other thing to consider: regular price for PP2014 is $449, but sidegrade from P10 is $299. So unless there's a good sale on PP2014 that I don't know of (which is totally possible ;)) it would actually be more interesting to take advantage of the current P10 sale and buy it at $50 then sidegrade to PP2014 if you want the extra tools, rather than buy PP2014 at full price.

Poser is indeed a good tool to have, if only for the cloth room and some of the great materials available for it, or if you want to use one of the figures which use Poser weight mapping. I personally never liked its interface, so I use it only for things I can't do with DS. But some other people find it easier to work with than DS. Different people, different tastes...

edited December 1969

What things can it do that DS cant? I find DS a better and easier interface personally

edited December 1969

I started with Poser back in 2007 because it had Inverse Kinematics and dynamic cloth. Beyond that, look at the posted links; App wars can get messy... ;)

edited May 2015

What things can it do that DS cant? I find DS a better and easier interface personally
    Basically, use poser-specific items: poser dynamic clothes or hair, materials made specifically for it (there's a set of very cool watercolour shaders at RDNA, for example), or figures which use poser weight-mapping (eg the default figures included in P10, Poser version of Dawn, Dusk or Star) or capsule rigging (eg Miki 3).

Poser also has a "morph brush" tool which doesn't exist in DS, and there's now the fitting room from PP2014 (never tried it, I didn't see the point in investing in PP2014 as P10 is clearly enough for my Poser use).
    Oh and there's the face room, which I never use.

There are also some things that both Poser and DS can do but do differently. I've often read that Poser had better tools for animation, for example, but as I mostly do stills I haven't used either much.

Post edited by Leana on
  • edited December 1969

Stick with Daz. I moved to Poser a couple of years ago thinking that it was 'more professional' or higher end. The tools don't work the way they're advertised to and it was just frustrating. It's mostly over-hyped. I spent almost $500 to buy the thing then several hundred dollars more on tools that I was told I needed for content creation only to find that the tools either weren't needed or more often, they just didn't work. Smith Micro doesn't seem to care much once they've got your money and the forums are going all to pieces with many of the old guard and well respected regulars leaving.
    Coming back to Daz is like coming home again. The interface is much more sensible, intuitive and configurable and the tools work nicely. The content manager is also a LOT easier to work with. Smart Content actually works as advertised.
    I'm pretty damned disappointed with Poser and SM and consider it two years and several hundred bucks wasted.
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

Smith Micro doesn't seem to care much once they've got your money and the forums are going all to pieces with many of the old guard and well respected regulars leaving.

SM sponsors multiple webinars on Poser all available to watch online and Rendo has a set of Poser tutorials so even though your experience was not good I wouldn't agree with your opinion of the support at least for training aspect.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

This is a thread on the difference between Poser versions, in the Poser forum. Let's not turn it into another "App X is better than App Y", "oh not it isn't", "oh yes it is" thread please. If it does you may find there's a mod behind you, with an axe.

edited December 1969

... you may find there's a mod behind you, with an axe.

New acronym ; RHBYWAA? ;-)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

Twirls moustache like a pantomime villain.

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,235
    edited May 2015

Here's Johnny!

shining.gif
    350 x 263 - 957K
    Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on