Table and Chairs Inspired by Heath Robinson.

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
edited April 2022 in Freebies

If you're not from the British Isles, you may not be aware of the eccentric and talented cartoonist/satirist Heath Robinson.

He lived through the Great War dreaming up ever madder and eccentric designs for defence and attack, then through the roaring 20's he reacted to modernism and all the silly ideas of the time with complicated, inefficient and frequently ineffective machinery.

This table and chair design was inspired by a chromed steel dining table and chairs that featured in a cartoon he drew in the 1920's. I made the design possible, but it retains Heath Robinson's impractical features.

Anyway, can I offer you this table and chairs as a freebie.

Just noticed, there are only three items that are not freebies in the image - character's skin texture, left bracelet and hair.

Hope you like it.

Regards,

Richard.

Table and Chairs Ad.png
1200 x 800 - 647K
zip
zip
Table and Chairs.zip
Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868
    edited April 2022

... That is both impressive and kind of demented. The modeling seems like it would have been very difficult. Also, it would make for an interesting alternative to restaurant booths, since that seating doesn't move, either.

Thanks!

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Modelling the steel tube was quite protracted, I must admit. Regards, Richard.
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Thank you.

also,,,why did Rube Goldberg suddenly cross my mind as soon as I saw this dinette set?

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
    edited April 2022
    Probably because Rube Goldberg and Heath Robinson were doing pretty much the same things at pretty much the same time, though "Heath Robinson Machine" became a dictionary entry in 1912, predating the US equivalent. Regards, Richard.
  • ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Ha!

• That's the one! As you can see, my interpretation is a bit different, and I hope the seat backs are a bit more comfortable. Regards, Richard.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited April 2022

I have sat on real chairs of that design,

not joined to the table though

I am trying to recall where, it was quite frequently so somewhere I went often in my youth, I know I was not fond of them

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
    edited September 2022

I have had a couple of requests for these tables and chairs to be available separately from the Heath Robinson assembly. So, please find them attached. I have included two different materials. One works well with Sun-Sky, the other with HDRI lighting. I have NO idea why they behave differently under the different lights.

Regards,

Richard 

Chrome Table and Chairs Promo.png
    800 x 800 - 276K
    zip
    zip
    Chrome Table and Chairs.zip
    2M