What are the advantages of updating from PP2010 to PP2012 or PP2014?

Guardian5004Guardian5004 Posts: 5
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I currently have Poser Pro 2010 (64 Bit) installed. I am wondering what the advantages, if any, would be to upgrade to Pro 2012 or Pro 2014. The majority of my work is with the Generation 3 and 4 figures from DAZ and there related clothing and props.

Comments

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
    edited December 1969

2014 has a fitting room.
    I haven't used it much, but it looks promising. You can do things that you can't do with crossdresser. For example, converting a little girl's dress (Shartae) into a blouse for an adult.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

Poser 9 and PP2012 and higher have weight mapped rigging for better bends if the figures are rigged that way. There are a couple of free weight mapped V4s and a weight mapped V3.

Here is a table of features for all Poser versions back to Poser 7...

http://my.smithmicro.com/docs/poser/PPGameDev-P10-PP2014-P10-Debut-Feature-Comparison-Matrix.pdf

• Guardian5004Guardian5004 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies. I guess my main concern is with backward compatibility with my current content, most of which is Poser 6+, and Poser Pro 2014 (PP 2012 is no longer available at Smith Micro).

As for the fitting room, PP2010 used Wardrobe Wizard 2, and I have purchased several of the Expansion Packs. So, will the fitting room allow for fitting to different figures as Wardrobe Wizard 2 does, or just the included Poser figures?

I also have Puppetmaster, and wonder if it is compatible with PP2014.

The cost of upgrading is not an insignificant chunk of change, and I would like to know if it is worth it before spending the money.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

Backward compatibility isn't an issue, except for some python scripts that have not been updated to the newer version of Python introduced in Poser 8.

Some older material shaders wont work well with Indirect Lighting and /or Gamma Correction, and most old light sets can be tossed out because lighting is much easier, but you know this from PP2010. 2014 does have real SubSurface Scattering, which helps realistic human renders a lot. Snarlygribbly has some good free scripts and materials to help that transition:

http://snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/

The fitting room is compatible with any figure, but it can take some fiddling.

Puppetmaster was unfortunately not updated to the newer Python, but the Universal Pose feature is similar.

• Guardian5004Guardian5004 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the information.

It sounds like PP 2014 has several features built in that required additional software in the earlier versions.

I was aware of the material shader/lighting issues from other posts in the forum. I have also noticed that several of the newer content packages make use of the updated lighting abilities of 9+ for special glow effects.

It looks like I'll go ahead and update to PP 2014.

I will have more questions later, as I have just recently retired and can now start devoting my time to learning Poser.