Compact Mirror Freebie

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
edited June 2022 in Freebies

MimicMolly asked it there was a compact mirror freebie. I didn't know of one, so made one. Hope you like it. There are wearable presets, different colours etc. . I re-discovered how to create ERC sliders with it, and a marginally better way of creating bump maps, so I am pleased to have learnt how while doing this mirror.

Regards,

Richard.

Compact Mirror Ad.jpg
1200 x 1200 - 269K
zip
zip
Compact Mirror.zip
3M
Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,145
    Thank you so much. :)
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,241

Yes, Thank You :-)

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
    Just hope you like it. Regards, Richard.
    edited June 2022

Well of course I like it ;-)

Checking her makeup.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    That really must have taken a lot of posing and tweaking of the camera angle. It's amazing that you got it. Regards, Richard.
    edited June 2022

richardandtracy said:

That really must have taken a lot of posing and tweaking of the camera angle. It's amazing that you got it. Regards, Richard.

Not too much tweaking actually. 

Started with one of the loading poses you had provided, I applied an "Iray Mirror" preset to the surface. Tweaked the position of the compact as this character's hand is a little different. Using spot renders to check the mirrors, gently rotated the compact to catch the reflections.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Catherine3678ab said:

Using spot renders to check the mirrors, gently rotated the compact to catch the reflections.

With this, You just explained a use for spot renders I never ever thought about before... Thank You very much yes

• WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

maikdecker said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Using spot renders to check the mirrors, gently rotated the compact to catch the reflections.

With this, You just explained a use for spot renders I never ever thought about before... Thank You very much yes

I use spot renders a lot because I only have a 1050 videocard and always work in Filament mode, I use spot renders to quickly check the lights or Iray layers for a small part without having to render the whole scene.

Thank you for the mirror, I love the textures on the back.

edited June 2022

Must admit I like it too. Reminds me of one or two of my cheap Chinese pocket watches, though in all honesty the patterns on them are rather more ornate.. 

I actually made the texture by engraving a single circle into a flat surface in SolidWorks, then rotating the engraved circle around a different centre many, many times using a circular array. Exported that as an STL, converted to OBJ format, then in a modeller I wrote I used depth shading to create a depth map. After that I erased all the bits I wasn't interested in and used that image as a bump map. Simple. Well, maybe not, but I liked the result. I am pretty sure I can simplify the workflow massively having realised (after all that), that a screenshot of the SolidWorks model will work just about as well..

Some very complex shapes can be made with simple operations - take a look at these 'Rose Engine' patterns: https://www.core77.com/posts/91294/Jon-Sauers-Incredible-Rose-Engine-Turning-Patterns They are all created with simple combinations of moving simple cutters over the surface of a work that is also moved as the cutter moves.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

richardandtracy said:

Must admit I like it too. Reminds me of one or two of my cheap Chinese pocket watches, though in all honesty the patterns on them are rather more ornate.. 

I actually made the texture by engraving a single circle into a flat surface in SolidWorks, then rotating the engraved circle around a different centre many, many times using a circular array. Exported that as an STL, converted to OBJ format, then in a modeller I wrote I used depth shading to create a depth map. After that I erased all the bits I wasn't interested in and used that image as a bump map. Simple. Well, maybe not, but I liked the result. I am pretty sure I can simplify the workflow massively having realised (after all that), that a screenshot of the SolidWorks model will work just about as well..

Some very complex shapes can be made with simple operations - take a look at these 'Rose Engine' patterns: https://www.core77.com/posts/91294/Jon-Sauers-Incredible-Rose-Engine-Turning-Patterns They are all created with simple combinations of moving simple cutters over the surface of a work that is also moved as the cutter moves.

Regards,

Richard

Nice patterns, the Rose engine is a kind of mechanical CNC cutter.
    Could you use something like Adobe Illustrator to create the patterns to use as bump map or wont that work?

Have to confess that Adobe Illustrator wouldn't work in my case, being the sort of dinosaur who hasn't got the package. However, it probably would work with ease. Any ornate monochrome .jpg should work just as well. Regards, Richard.
  • perlkperlk Posts: 854
    edited June 2022

Gee, this makes a perfect prop for my new dress! Thank you so much!

50swiggle-promo2.png
    1000 x 1167 - 2M
    Post edited by perlk on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,145
    edited June 2022

The compact and pose can be used on G8.1M too, which is perfect.

WEP2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 843K
    Post edited by MimicMolly on
    I am glad the mirror is proving useful. Love the dress, Perlk. MimicMolly, I would never have thought of trying G8M with it, but no reason why it wouldn't work unless the wearable preset is too specific in the base character. Good to see it isn't. Regards, Richard.