mcjSkySphere - Your basic environment sphere

mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
edited December 1969 in Freebies

here : https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts5/mcjskysphere

This is a normal Daz Studio Primitive sphere
32 x 16 polygons
200 meters diameter
But ! the Normals were inverted, to make it render properly when the camera is inside the sphere
And ! the UV coordinate's U were inverted, so it can render the textures applied to it non-mirrored when the camera is inside the sphere
warning: i'm not 100% sure this type of ball is the perfect match for spherical/equirectangular panoramas but it seems to work in most cases

you may want to try my mcjSphericalUV script which lets you re-UV-Map spheres and planes ! ( ground planes ! ) in a manner suitable for spherical/equirectangular panoramas

ID4.jpg
1280 x 720 - 179K

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Looks cool. Thanks Casual!

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084

I'd really ike to use this, but can't get it to work. After I load it, the scene renders black, although I am in the sphere and can see the scene mapped to the sphere. What am I doing wrong?

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited December 2015

in the case of the 3Delight Software render, you must set the sphere's Ambient Color channel to 100% strength white

for 3Delight/software renders usually i turn diffuse strength down to 0%, color white

i set the specular color to black

( dont apply complex shaders to the .obj sphere , the DS Default shader is good enough )

for this image, i directly imported the .obj file in blender 4.8 (file/import/wavefront .obj , i used the "Poser" import settings 24384%

unfortunately DS4.8 loads the sphere at ground level, so i lowered it 10000 cm down the YAxis, so my camera is in the center of the sphere

in the case of the iRay render, normally you dont need the .obj sphere since iRay has the "Environment" and "Dome" settings

but, if you applied the Shader Preset / iRay / Emissive shader, then you should be able to see the .obj Sphere in the iRay render

for the iRay renders, if you are below floor level, and the iray "ground" is turned on, this may cause black renders

for this iRay render i set the surface shader to iRay/Emissive

i set the "two sided" option on .. just in case

i changed the light temperature to 6000 K ( white instead of yellow )

i changed the light intensity to 100000 Lumens ( 5000 is way too dark ... it's a big sphere, the walls are far )

not directly related to this, but good to know: if you use iRay's Environment/dome

it also important to have the standard Daz Studio Environment Backdrop turned off -

that's found in Daz Studio's Windows/Pane-tabs/environment panel, Backdrop needs to be "None" if you intend to use an

mcorr said:

I'd really ike to use this, but can't get it to work. After I load it, the scene renders black, although I am in the sphere and can see the scene mapped to the sphere. What am I doing wrong?

3del.jpg
    800 x 450 - 279K
    ATATWalkerinWarehouseSphere.jpg
    800 x 450 - 261K
    Post edited by mCasual on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084

Very helpful ... thanks for responding and doing so in such a torough manner! Happy New Year!