EULA Update & Editorial Licenses Coming to Daz

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,872

Byrdie said:

Oh dear! That is a lovely prop set but no idea why it's editorial aka non-commercial only. Unless it's got appliance brands from actual companies that I don't recognize since different country than vendor? Too bad, I think many people won't buy due to this licensing type. Hope there'll be a similar but standard Daz license version because empty apartment = no fun.

The apartment that is required to use this set, that seems to be a regular license Daz Original, or am I mistaken?

AFAICS it's the only product in the Retro Apartment set that has an Editorial License.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781

PerttiA said:

Ok, how does one use a refrigerator or a blender in unlawful manner (derogatory, etc.)? cheeky

I can think of several ways, most of them involving certain dictatorial political and/or religious figures, questionable substances/intoxicants, human or animal body parts/horror/gore, and NSFW renders that may or may not depict things one definitely goes to jail for doing in real life.

• RangerRickRangerRick Posts: 264
    edited December 2022

AlmightyQUEST said:

It doesn't appear to list it in the store as using an editorial license. Was it an error that got updated, or should the store be saying something different?

The license is listed between the SKU:  and the matrix of promo pictures where it has the text:

"This product is sold under an editorial license.
    Usage restrictions apply."

There's been some discussion about this on a thread ("Retro Apartment Props 2") in the DAZ Members Only forum.  Seems it's one of only two products released so far with an Editorial license. It has been suggested to DAZ to make the nature of the license more visible.

Edited to add:  I believe I saw someone say that it doesn't show up on mobile devices.  Not certain about that.

Post edited by RangerRick on
  • I can confirm it that the license type doesn't show up in mobile (android phone, chrome browser).
    Screenshot_20221209_110314_Chrome.jpg
    1080 x 2280 - 1M
    Screenshot_20221209_110326_Chrome.jpg
    1080 x 2280 - 571K
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 886
    edited December 2022

Maybe it's based on existing ancient appliances and everyone's afraid Electrolux lawyers will get them?  

I understand that Daz wants to protect themselves from IP infringement lawsuits. That's not an unreasonable stance for any company.

However, the Editorial licence has to be marked very prominently on each and every item sold with it before it's even purchased by anyone. Very. Like "big bold red letters" grade of "very".

Because those items are going to be prime candidates for returns.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • RangerRick said:

AlmightyQUEST said:

It doesn't appear to list it in the store as using an editorial license. Was it an error that got updated, or should the store be saying something different?

The license is listed between the SKU:  and the matrix of promo pictures where it has the text:

"This product is sold under an editorial license.
    Usage restrictions apply."

There's been some discussion about this on a thread ("Retro Apartment Props 2") in the DAZ Members Only forum.  Seems it's one of only two products released so far with an Editorial license. It has been suggested to DAZ to make the nature of the license more visible.

Edited to add:  I believe I saw someone say that it doesn't show up on mobile devices.  Not certain about that.

Yep, I see it now on desktop, and yep that is a huuuge problem if it isn't showing on mobile. It actually shows the interactive license as an option on mobile still. With a price set and a sale discount applying to it even!

PerttiA said:

Ok, how does one use a refrigerator or a blender in unlawful manner (derogatory, etc.)? cheeky

Well it might be tricky but I can try...

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,600

One of the reasons I enjoyed buying content at DAZ Store, is I didn't have to think about licensing. If that changes, I probably will reconsider buying here.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386
    edited December 2022

FenixPhoenix said:

I can confirm it that the license type doesn't show up in mobile (android phone, chrome browser).

It does appear but only in landscape mode, like the required products (and yes, I'd really like them to fix that for required products too)

Post edited by Leana on
  • Leana said:

FenixPhoenix said:

I can confirm it that the license type doesn't show up in mobile (android phone, chrome browser).

It does appear but only in landscape mode, like the required products (and yes, I'd really like them to fix that for required products too)

Oh, interesting! I didn't know about the landscape mode! I kept switching to "desktop site" mode whenever I needed to see the required products!

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387
    edited December 2022

It seems clear that Daz is going to be using the Editorial License in the future for ass-covering. In this case (I suspect the mods don't want me to name brand names), the appliances in the Retro Apartment Pack 2 are *extremely close* copies of a certain manufacturer's CURRENT appliances. Almost the only difference is that they have a different four capital letters on the body of each one. I recognized what they were supposed to be immediately.

I am actually OK with using the Editorial Licenses as a safety valve this way. I would rather have Daz say "OK, look, this package veers a little too close to recognizable IP, we'll let you buy it but you can't use it for anything where money changes hands" than have them not offer the product at all. And heaven knows there have been some products in the store where it was extremely obvious what they were supposed to be ... this is better than the "wink wink nudge nudge and hope it doesn't get pulled" approach.

But I do agree that the "this product is under Editorial License" warning needs to be far, far more prominent on the page.

Post edited by columbine on
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 886
    edited December 2022

Yes. I don't recognise this particular brand, but a few months ago I've bough a microwave and a dishwasher that also were coming from a very known manufacturer and they also were kept in retro style. It's en vogue these days.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,610
    edited December 2022

columbine said:

It seems clear that Daz is going to be using the Editorial License in the future for ass-covering. In this case (I suspect the mods don't want me to name brand names), the appliances in the Retro Apartment Pack 2 are *extremely close* copies of a certain manufacturer's CURRENT appliances.

@Daz_Travis If this is true then it means any item reproducing a known brand design can't be used for commercial projects. Say goodbye to most cars and vehicles for example. I believe both PAs and customers are in strong need of explanations by DAZ here.

Post edited by Padone on
  • Taoz said:

Padone said:

LOL This is just ridiculous, now DAZ wants to sell items without commercial licenses, good luck with that. Sometime I wonder who's the big boss behind these brilliant ideas. Unless you give away editorial items for free I mean, but even so I'm not sure there will be much interest in that.

It doesn't like like there are many of them - apparently (I wasn't aware of its existence before now) this license type was introduced 2022-07-12, but I have purchased a lot of products since then and got a product with that license yesterday for the first time.  I know for certain I haven't purchased others because it caused problems in my database software which isn't set up to recognize that type of license.

I bought this a few days ago and it said nothing about a restricted license. Still doesn't for me, whether I'm signed in or not.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,874

SofaCitizen said:

Byrdie said:

Oh dear! That is a lovely prop set but no idea why it's editorial aka non-commercial only. Unless it's got appliance brands from actual companies that I don't recognize since different country than vendor? Too bad, I think many people won't buy due to this licensing type. Hope there'll be a similar but standard Daz license version because empty apartment = no fun.

The apartment that is required to use this set, that seems to be a regular license Daz Original, or am I mistaken?

These look to be models of appliances made by the brand "SMEG" but using a made up name instead - unless SMEG is known as LEMB in another country? 

Possibly unrelated, but "smeg" is a dirty word in British English.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,764

Gordig said:

Possibly unrelated, but "smeg" is a dirty word in British English.

Not that I am aware of - outside of the Red Dwarf TV show anyway. Maybe things have changed since I was a kid tho?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,348
    edited December 2022

Padone said:

LOL This is just ridiculous, now DAZ wants to sell items without commercial licenses, good luck with that. Sometime I wonder who's the big boss behind these brilliant ideas. Unless you give away editorial items for free I mean, but even so I'm not sure there will be much interest in that.

I agree with you that it seems odd people would want them, but it seems that there is demand. Renderhub sell a lot of items with the IP Restricted licence (its equivalent to DAZ's editorial licence). If you click on DAZ Content there, then sort by Best Selling, you will see that the top 2 selling items are both IP restriced. So it seems there is demand, and you can't blame DAZ for wanting a slice of that.

I did buy the retro props 2 product, I did not even notice that it was Editorial only. I would not have bothered to buy if I had seen that, as I do use content commercially. However I used the item to trigger other discounts, so I can't return it. I don't recognise the products, but it would be odd if they were items currently for sale, considering these are supposed to be retro stuff.

Post edited by Havos on

Hopefully there will be a way to hide items or sort them out in the store so accidental purchases aren't made.

• oh dear that set looked so lovely too from one of my favourire PAs (not bought yet but will hide it)

• ainm.sloinneadhainm.sloinneadh Posts: 335
    edited December 2022
    Here's a screenshot that shows Retro Props 2 store page as it's displayed to me.
    Screenshot_20221210-020356.png
    1440 x 2880 - 1M
    Post edited by ainm.sloinneadh on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2022

Taoz said:

Padone said:

It doesn't look like there are many of them - apparently (I wasn't aware of its existence before now) this license type was introduced 2022-07-12, but I have purchased a lot of products since then and got a product with that license yesterday for the first time.  I know for certain I haven't purchased others because it caused problems in my database software which isn't set up to recognize that type of license.

...bugger,  I just picked that up the other day as well..   

Wondering though if it isn't an error as the apartment itself and the first set of props both have the standarrd commercial licence.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

Taoz said:

Padone said:

It doesn't look like there are many of them - apparently (I wasn't aware of its existence before now) this license type was introduced 2022-07-12, but I have purchased a lot of products since then and got a product with that license yesterday for the first time.  I know for certain I haven't purchased others because it caused problems in my database software which isn't set up to recognize that type of license.

Lots of stuff in it that doesn't need to be under a different license too.
  • kyoto kid said:

Taoz said:

Padone said:

Wondering though if it isn't an error as the apartment itself and the first set of props both have the standarrd commercial licence.

Not an error. There's a thread in the DAZ+ forum confirming it. Apparently there are two products with the license in the store - this one and Cyber Racer.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2022

...so what happens to all the "look alike" vehicles like the Spy Car V12 and Majestic GT (both very similar to models by Aston Martin),  the Downtown Taxi (a Ford Crown Vic), The Offroad Car (an older Land Rover), The Ladybird (a classic VW Beetle), Road Trip Hippy Van (60s VW Microbus), Immortal Elegance (1958 Plymouth Fury) and all the vehicles by Polish that resemble known marques in the real world,

Will al those and others end up getting editorial licences?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • well that's less than helpful for those who are not DAZ+ if discussion is limited to that forum

they really need to make it clearer in the store

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,050

I'll NEVER buy an editorial licence product. 

Man, I own cyber racer, and now I can't use it.  I bought it in October and I can't return it.

• Even if it's outside the normal window, that seems worthwhile to attempt to return if it's a matter of the new license system being confusing and not enough warning when you made the purchase. This seems like it's well outside the ordinary return circumstances.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641
    edited December 2022

ainm.sloinneadh said:

Taoz said:

Padone said:

It doesn't like like there are many of them - apparently (I wasn't aware of its existence before now) this license type was introduced 2022-07-12, but I have purchased a lot of products since then and got a product with that license yesterday for the first time.  I know for certain I haven't purchased others because it caused problems in my database software which isn't set up to recognize that type of license.

I bought this a few days ago and it said nothing about a restricted license. Still doesn't for me, whether I'm signed in or not.

I agree. Bought this saw no mention of editorial license. Back it goes.

Edit : I just added it to cart (despite being purchased on Dec 1st)  and it does still offer the option for an interactive license for gaming and also 3d printing. Something is clearly wrong here. An interactive license on an editorial product? Was the editorial license added in error?

Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I have started a thread with those restricted items as a warning "before you buy":

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/608786/new-thread-for-items-with-the-editorial-license

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,037

Luckily I don't own those products and I will NEVER biy them. But threre's a priblem: they arent really marked as Editorial beside that small note... A separate page or a filter would help more avoid that stuff.