Garden Gate and Estate Fence

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
edited August 2022 in Freebies

This is a little model I have been thinking about for a while, and it came together rather more quickly than I was expecting.

So, it's a little, fairly posh, garden gate with rigged hinge and latch. The gate posts go to 30cm below ground level to accommodate slopes. The colours of black and gold are the only colours possible for a moderately ostentatious gate of this type. 

The gate defaults to 115.5cm across the post width, and the posts extend to 120cm in height. The width can reasonably scale from 80% to 130% while still looking in proportion.

Anyway, a mad little idea that everyone could find a use for.

Regards, 

Richard.

Garden Gate Promo.png
800 x 800 - 1M
zip
zip
Garden Gate.zip
3M
Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,011

Looking nice, but there's one problem... One can easily walk around it wink

• There's always a critic.. ;) You are right, hadn't really got as far as thinking about a fence. I may create a couple, an iron 'Estate Fence' is one I've always wanted to do. Regards, Richard.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,011

No problem, I'll just grow a hedge for it. Thank you smiley

• perlkperlk Posts: 854

That looks pretty sweet, thank you!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
    edited August 2022
    I have started some 'Estate Fencing' to go with it. The basic model is now done - 180cm lengths, which is close to a metricated version of 6ft. I just need to get a 'shear' morph to allow it to cope with ground slope in the direction of the fence, apply groups and surface material groups, texture map, turn it into a prop, sleep, eat, bathe and it'll all be done (not necessarily in that order). So not today! Regards, Richard.
    edited August 2022

OK, updated zip file to include a section of iron 'Estate Fencing', similar to fencing found on every wealthy estate from the 1800's.

The garden or estate is down to you.

Regards, 

Richard.

Gate and Fence Promo.jpg
    800 x 800 - 730K
    zip
    zip
    Gate and Fence.zip
    3M
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,544
    Can't wait for my computer to be fixed so I can use this, looks great
  • @Faeryl Womyn, I do hope it lives up to expectations! Good luck with getting the computer working again.

I need to share one or two extra bits of information:

1. To get the fence piece to match up with the gatepost on the right of the gate, translate the fence 102.3cm in X and switch property 'Hide Support 1' to 'On'.
    2. To get the fence piece to match up with the gatepost on the left of the gate, translate the fence -210.3cm in X and switch property 'Hide Support 2' to 'On'.
    3. If you use my 'Linear Array Script' to duplicate the fence, switch one or other 'Hide Support' switch to 'On' and set the instance spacing to 180cm, then there will be a support every 180cm as occurs in the real Estate Fences. You may need an 'Uninstanced' panel at the far end of the line of instanced fence panels to ensure there is a support at the far end.
    4. The 'Slope' morph is at 100mm (approx4") at 100% strength. If you need more than +/- 400% (400mm/approx 16"), then the bars will start to look distorted, which is why I've put in those limits. 
    5. The support bar angle can be changed by clicking the appropriate bar and moving the 'Support Angle' slider.

Regards,

Richard.

• WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

Thanks for the prop Richard, it looks great as usual,

I am not that familiar with morphs yet but if you could make a morph to scale the bars horizontally you could lengten and shorten the fence.
    That could be useful if you need a specific length.

• You're completely correct. Quite why I didn't think of that. I have no idea. What. An. Idiot.

Probably got it into my head that they were only ever 6ft (approximated to 180cm) long, and myopically stuck to that. Doh.

I shall see what I can do to modify it. Not sure when, have a very busy week ahead... But I'll try.

Regards,

Richard.

edited September 2022

I have got myself slightly diverted, and instead of modifying the fence, I modelled up a gate fairly similar to the one we put in at our last house before having kids impoverished us! The gold plaque on the front stretched my modelling ability with SolidWorks more than I expected, but I now know how to approach the problem (don't, if possible!).

This gate is 125 cm wide and 195 cm high over the 10cm square gateposts. It is fully rigged. The hinge line is at X=0, Z=0 the distance between posts from X-12.5 to +112.5. The posts are 10cm square. The latch and hinge operate normally.

Hope you like it. It was quite a challenge this one, and I have learnt a lot. 

Regards,

Richard 

1950mm Gate Promo 3.png
    800 x 800 - 473K
    zip
    zip
    1950mm Gate.zip
    3M
    edited September 2022

I did an alternative promo image for the gate above, but while I liked it as a picture, as a promo image it was a bit fussy and didn't show the gate, but I do like the image itself.

Regards,

Richard.

1950mm Gate Promo 2.png
    1200 x 800 - 2M
    edited September 2022
    I also tried a couple of other promos. Number one in the Wisteria Tunnel was a bit distracting, and the other on the Northern Terrace Street, somehow I made the character look a bit like a Chav (too close to being true for comfort). What is ironic is that the location for our real gate was in a Victorian street with Terrace style houses looking very similar, but the gate was there to keep Chav's from the local sink estate out, not allow them to pass. Regards, Richard.
    1950mm Gate Promo 1.png
    1200 x 800 - 2M
    1950mm Gate Promo 4.png
    1200 x 800 - 1M
  • The New Gate looks awesome, thank you :-)

edited September 2022
    Thanks Catherine. I really was astonished at how expensive the real thing had got in the 27 years since we put ours in. A similar gate is still available, and we wouldn't get much change from £500. The design of this gate is based on my memory of our one rather than the currently available one from the original manufacturer. Regards, Richard.