FireFox Forum Search Plugin

mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Here is a FireFox (it should work in SeaMonkey and FireFox derivatives, like WaterFox) and maybe even IE (I don't have a Windows machine handy to test it on).

Simply drop the XML file into your FireFox searchplugins folder (if you don't have one in your profile, simply create one and then drop it in) then restart FF.  It should appear in the drop down list of Search Engines (the little magnifying glass in the Search box).  Type something in, click the magnifying glass, click the Daz plugin and it will search the forums.  Alternately, you can set it as the default...I don't recommend that, it does get frustrating when you aren't want to search the forums.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/1d/4b68aefe43e1b88b25faa9e0024fe4.zip

Comments

• Bless you!  Do I need this!!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

You're wlecome....and it should still work when they have a nice, forum search box.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

This is awsome.  Works great in Iceweasel too

Thank you very much!!!

You're welcome..

I used to do these all the time...but Google site search kind of took over.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Is the forum search working?  I am having a terrible time finding stuff.  Seems I can only type 1 word into the search box. 

If I try 2 or more words, they get chopped up in the results.  Like..if I want to look for posts on AOA's cameras, I would type 'AOA camera' in the search box.  But the results returned include every post with the word  'camera' in it, and every string that has 'AOA' in it...and not necessarily both!

I've tried putting strings in quotes...no joy.  :(

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

"D"

Unfortunately, it seems like the forum search time-warped to about 1995...that's the way it is 'working' now.

I'm tempted to create a Google Site Search plugin for here...

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    mjc1016 said:

Unfortunately, it seems like the forum search time-warped to about 1995...that's the way it is 'working' now.

That would be awesome!  If it won't take you a week's vacation, please seriously consider doing it!

You would absolutely jump to the head of my "cool guys" list.

(I don't actually have a cool guys list..but if you make that, I will make one, and you will be at the head of it!)

: )

• Plugin not working for newest version of Firefox 40.0.2

Anyone else having this problem?

Don't have the newest FF...it probably won't be out for a few days or so for Slackware, so I won't be able to check it.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

they moved the folder to the roaming profile  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1078483

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957
    mjc1016 said:

That's entirely pointless and lazy...You can't even search in specific Sub/Forums, as it defaults to the entire forum...

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would've come to the conclusion that they have done this to make specific knowledge incredibly frustrating in order to sell more of these over-priced mumbling, meandering, video tuts...laughcheeky