trick: set the diffuse strength to 150%

mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
edited August 2015 in Freebies

By default the diffuse color strength is limited to 100%

but if you turn Off the limits you can set it at greater values !

in Ds4.8 i was in Pixel Shading mode, so the ambient color channel of my sky-sphere had no effect and was too dark

so i set the diffuse to 150% and there you have it, it's a bright day in the OpenGLverse

brite.jpg
1920 x 893 - 703K
Post edited by mCasual on

Comments

• KurzonDaxKurzonDax Posts: 228

I know you were referring to OpenGL, but thought it might be worth mentioning that this setting can be helpful in Iray as well.

I use it occasionally when converting skin mats in particular when I can't quite get the skin tone where I want it.  Increasing the diffuse strength above 1 will tend to lighten the skin tone (very much depending on the coloring of the underlying diffuse map).  I suspect gamma correcting the base textures would be the right way to do this, but altering diffuse strength is quick and dirty.  

Probably worth noting that diffuse strength in Iray is typically only visible if you have the "show hidden options" feature selected in the fly out menu in the upper corner of the surfaces pain.

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited August 2015
    KurzonDax said:

I know you were referring to OpenGL, but thought it might be worth mentioning that this setting can be helpful in Iray as well.

I use it occasionally when converting skin mats in particular when I can't quite get the skin tone where I want it.  Increasing the diffuse strength above 1 will tend to lighten the skin tone (very much depending on the coloring of the underlying diffuse map).  I suspect gamma correcting the base textures would be the right way to do this, but altering diffuse strength is quick and dirty.  

Probably worth noting that diffuse strength in Iray is typically only visible if you have the "show hidden options" feature selected in the fly out menu in the upper corner of the surfaces pain.

in Blender Cycles, i use this to add ambient component in the shader nodes

britelite.jpg
    1426 x 800 - 527K
    Post edited by mCasual on
  • I also have noticed in DS 4.8 that per-pixel shading-mode darkens the scene preview to much for my taste. I mean per-pixel shading in peview looks great and I dont want to miss it while editing the scene because things dont look that flat but its a big diffrence compared to the actual lightning strength when rendered.

First I thought maybe my lightning setup is to dark. Then I wonder if this is a bug caused by my graphic card / hardware driver or is it the false preview of the shaders I use?

Diffuse strength over 100% may make sense for sky - box / sphere but I want to see what I am working on while setup the scene before adding some backround object / environment.

My workaround is to setup a group with a set of distant lights from diffrent directions that have lightning strength values far beond 100% and I get a lit up scene preview for editing. So I use two diffrent light setups one for editing and one for render. I hide the one or the other group so the lightning infuence of that group will be deactivated.

@ mCasual: btw nice render Amy never looked better wink

• GrokDDGrokDD Posts: 59
    KurzonDax said:

Man this solved a lot of frustration. Thanks KurzonDax!