Little Pony Hair

JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Yet another free hair I modeled with Carrara strand hair which is attached to a mesh which is set to conform to the Genesis 1 figure (though it could easily be rigged to conform to any generation of Genesis you choose to use).  This one's a loose ponytail style.

Merry Christmas! 

https://sharecg.com/v/99750/view/5/3D-Model/Little-Pony-Hairstyle

This one was freakin' hard.  One thing I learned is that ponytails are really really tough.  Also, when I built this I wasn't using a photo reference, just going from my mental picture of what a ponytail looked like.  Surprise!  I finished it at long last (at least 2 days of attempts, scrapping it, walking away from it, then thinking of another approach and trying again, over and over again..)  

Then when I was satisfied, I thought... hey, maybe I should go check it against photo references of normal ponytails, because that's all I was going for...   Surprise!  It looked nothing at all like a normal run-of-the mill ponytail.  So lesson learned there.

That said, I still like it and think it's useable, and I have seen similar styles worn by women in real life, so I didn't throw it out.  It reminded me more of something you might see on a 'my little pony' than what you'd see a normal gal who tied back her hair for convenience, so I went with the name 'Little Pony'.   I did go on to make a normal looking ponytail later (will release down the road a bit) but this one has a special place in my heart because of how tough it was, and how much I learned from making it.  :)

It comes with 7 shaders for a variety of colors.

Comments

• perlkperlk Posts: 854

They are hard! I have tried to make one and it didn't look as good as yours. Great job.

• WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

Thank you for all the hair items that you make, I really like them.

But I have no clue on how to use them in Daz, as far as I see there is no way to import Car files.
    How would I get these hairs in Daz or would I need Carrara to export to OBJ?

• You would need Carrara. Apparently there is a carrara script that can convert carrara hair to obj which would enable it to be imported into DS. It can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/carrara-time-savers/ (I don't have Carrara so cannot confirm if it works from my own experience, or how well, but there is a thread on it here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/181751/carrara-hair/p1)

Regards

Richard.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035

they are for Carrara which can with a free plugin export a very highpoly obj but if you are only going to use DAZ studio you are better off buying DAZ studio hairs

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,792

They look pretty realistic to me. They sell bump-it things just to make hair look like than IRL and with hair extensions you can do all sorts of things. Unfortunately I can't use it if it's Carrara only but it looks great!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Wonderland said:

They look pretty realistic to me. They sell bump-it things just to make hair look like than IRL and with hair extensions you can do all sorts of things. Unfortunately I can't use it if it's Carrara only but it looks great!

Thanks for the kind words, I'm just a rank amateur who was playing around a bit to see what was possible.  Going to try to get some time to figure out converting to obj form, but as Wendy mentioned even if it ends up looking alright the end result might turn out too high poly to really be feasible.

• WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

Thank you all for the answers,

I don't have carrara and would only use it in Daz so I have to pass on the hairs unfortunately.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035

Jonstark maybe add 4 Carrara to the titles to avoid confusion yes