FREE Black Cat Earrings, with OBJ fit for Genesis2Female

luxxeonluxxeon Posts: 18
edited September 2015 in Freebies

Black Cat Earrings

Download From One Of The Following Sources:

Renderosity Freestuff
ShareCG.com
My DeviantArt Page

Elegant pair of Black Cat Earrings, including a left and right object selection.  The pair together contains a combined total of 7,228 polygons, and 7,284 vertices (3,614 quads per earring). The models have been carefully UV Unwrapped, without overlapping edges, to prevent texture distortion.  There are no texture maps provided with this set, but each earring has 8 distinct material zones, and can easily accept any seamless, metallic procedural material, in any software render engine.

*The (POSER).obj files have been scaled to import perfectly to the fit the "Genesis 2 Base Female" character in Daz|Studio 4.x., and should import in an approximate location in Poser.  See the import instructions below for detailed information on how to import the appropriate models to the software.

All example renders were done with the Iray render engine, in Daz Studio, after importing the models with the recommended settings.

You are free to use or modify this model as you see fit, for your own rendering projects or scenes. As with all my freebies, the object can be used for both commercial and non-commercial renders. You may NOT, however, resell or redistribute the model or textures, or any derivative of them; individually, or as part of a package/set.

*** OBJ IMPORT INSTRUCTIONS: There are 3 different OBJ files associated with this model, and one MTL file, which defines the material definitions.  You will notice that two of the three OBJ files are labeled for use in specific software applications (Poser and Blender).  For best results, it's highly recommended that you import the correct file to the corresponding software application.

DAZ STUDIO USERS:  The OBJ with (POSER) suffix was exported with a scale conversion that will allow the object to load with appropriate scaling into Poser 9 and above, or Daz Studio 4 and above, with Poser import preset settings. To import this file into Daz Studio, select File > Import, and find the "earrings_blackcat(POSER).OBJ".  In the OBJImportOptions dialogue box, select the Poser (1 Unit = 8 Ft) preset option in the "From:" dropdown menu.  Scale should be set to 24384% automatically.  If not, then please enter that value into the Scale field.  Keep the Axis Conversion X=X, Y=Y, and Z=Z, with NO checkboxes in the Invert Direction options.  Be sure Read Groups, UV Coordinates, Surfaces, and Material Library (.mtl) are all checked.  The objects are designed to import in place on a default Genesis 2 Female character, in the default T-Pose position in the scene.  Simply parent the earrings to the character's "head" node, once they are in position.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or issues with this product.  I stand behind all of my models, even the free ones, with full tech support.  Thanks!

preview_forums.jpg
640 x 642 - 93K
Post edited by luxxeon on

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Thank you

• I'd love to get them, but the download popup completely and utterly crashed my browser. No warning, no error message, just <zap>. I have a new thread in the Renderosity forums, hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

Oh, <bleep>. I just tried your link to ShareCG and the same thing happened there. Looks like it might be a browser issue.

• I'd love to get them, but the download popup completely and utterly crashed my browser. No warning, no error message, just <zap>. I have a new thread in the Renderosity forums, hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

Oh, <bleep>. I just tried your link to ShareCG and the same thing happened there. Looks like it might be a browser issue.

Oh no!  Maybe reboot the system, and try again.  It might be a system memory issue, or as you said, a browser malfunction of some kind.  Especially if it's happened on both sites.  Let me know if you continue to have problems even after rebooting, or resetting your system.  I'll see what I can do to help.  Try my DA page download maybe?

• Well, it seems to have been a one-off (hopefully) Heisenbug in Firefox, causing a crash to desktop whenever I tried to download anything. I had another go last night just before shutting down, and this time everything worked. Imported, converted, fiddled with materials, and it looks great in Iray.

One minor glitch, in the Readme the final long paragraph is from the readme for the Cyclide Ritual earrings — it mentions that the earrings are in separate left and right meshes.

(BTW, is there an easy way of splitting the imported .obj into two Support-Asset-savable meshes?)

• Well, it seems to have been a one-off (hopefully) Heisenbug in Firefox, causing a crash to desktop whenever I tried to download anything. I had another go last night just before shutting down, and this time everything worked. Imported, converted, fiddled with materials, and it looks great in Iray.

One minor glitch, in the Readme the final long paragraph is from the readme for the Cyclide Ritual earrings — it mentions that the earrings are in separate left and right meshes.

(BTW, is there an easy way of splitting the imported .obj into two Support-Asset-savable meshes?)

Thank you for pointing that out.  Unfortunately, I'll probably have a hard time changing the readme at this point, since its been uploaded in several resource locations now, and changing the upload is difficult in some places.  I'm not sure how Daz Studio handles mesh editing of that nature.  Perhaps someone else reading this, or in these forums will know if it's possible to split the objects at the sub-object level.  I wonder if I should have done the same thing with this set I did with the previous one, which is offering them as seperate imported objects?  I thought I was saving people some time by loading both sides at once, but that may have been an oversight on my part as well.  If you need them saved seperately, I can provide you with a new set, which contains two OBJ models instead.  Let me know.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited September 2015

Okay, I've found another way the new forums are less useable than before. Those browser crashes-to-desktop I mentioned? They totally wiped out my open tabs showing all the new forum threads — when they came back after restoring, they showed the same Recent Discussions pages as they were when they were restored. So I lost track of this thread.   

FWIW, Luxxeon, I actually find it easier to have the two separate meshes for things like these earrings. It isn't any more complicated than converting only one mesh, and it does mean I can allow the two earrings to dangle from the figure's ears at different angles. The three I've fixed up so far with Iray materials, the Cyclide Ritual, Harmony Nest and Mystic Knot earrings are all great examples of top-class shiny. (Quick test render below with just the default environment light.)

And I'd like to take you up on your kind offer of the separated .obj meshes, thanks.

Earrings-01.jpg
    1283 x 658 - 72K
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Spottedkitty, those Iray materials look great!  You did a fantastic job applying your own custom materials there.  I didn't think about posing the earrings in separate rotations, etc., that's an excellent point!  I'll be sure to go back to offering the earrings as two importable objects when I do my next set.  In the meantime, I'll make another pair which has been separated for you, and anyone else who wants to use them.  I'll have them uploaded and ready for you in about 24 hours.  Thanks again for all your feedback!

• Heh, the Iray materials I used aren't mine, they're mostly (I think) from Mec4D's excellent PBS Shader set. Lots of metals, precious metals and plastics, overlays for oxidation, rust, scratches, and other good stuff. I'm still much too new at using Iray to make much headway putting together my own materials, I usually end up all    and 

• SpottedKitty (and anyone else who wants them), you can find a zip file containing these earrings as right and left OBJ selections, instead of both together as one object.  Import instructions for Daz Studio remain the same as before, so just follow the README from the original file.  This zip contains ONLY the Poser/Daz scaled OBJ versions, and one mat definition file.  If you saved your Iray materials from the original version, you should be able to apply it to these earrings without issues.  Let me know this worked for you!

zip
    zip
    earrings_blackcat_new.zip
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited September 2015

I think they look pretty good.  

One nice thing about the shader set I mentioned upthread, it includes different carat values of gold, so I can play around with a subtle difference between tougher "structural" bits and softer "pretty" bits. Not sure what colour I should have used on the cats themselves, though, the test pic below uses just metallic black paint from the same shader set. Maybe gold with a thin black overlay (as soon as I figure out how to do that)...?

Earrings-02.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 118K
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Excellent work, SpottedKitty!  I see exactly why you wanted to use separate earrings now.  I love the way you have them positioned there. I think almost any kind of material will work for the cat.  For example, a black onyx (stone) type of surface, or even a blue/black steel metallic surface.  I used a black car paint surface in my preview renders, just because I wanted to give it a ubiquitous sparkly painted appearance; but a gold with black overlay does sound very intriguing.  I'd love to see that.

• luxxeon said:

I think almost any kind of material will work for the cat.  For example, a black onyx (stone) type of surface, or even a blue/black steel metallic surface.

Never thought of onyx... and I have an Iray onyx shader I don't think I've tried before, in the Metal and Gemstones set.

That'll have to wait until at least tomorrow, though, my old and creaky monitor finally gave up the ghost tonight, so I'm stuck with an even older but still working Taxan CRT from my previous computer. Off to the computer shop first thing tomorrow. Ugh, fuzziness and a non-wide 1024x768 screen...

... and the thing weighs a ton. 

• luxxeonluxxeon Posts: 18
    edited September 2015

Ah, the good ol CRT's; arguably the most reliable, and heavy, computer hardware product to date.  wink

Post edited by luxxeon on
  • No kidding — not quite heavy enough for me to do myself a mischief lifting it, but I could hear various bits and pieces protesting loudly.

Ah well, now I have a shiny new 24" HD screen in place of the old 22" one, and everything's bright and clear and bigger. Cheaper than the old one was, too, I think. Looking forward to seeing whatever you come up with next.