3Delight Renders via graphic card only?

RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
edited October 2015 in Freebies

When I render in Iray I can use the my graphic card to render the picture without using the CPU. Is it possible to render also in 3Delight without usage of the CPU? I ask better before I try it.

Post edited by RCTSpanky on

Comments

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459

You won't have the option to enable GPU rendering in 3delight.  So far as I know, there is no version of 3delight available that supports OpenCL or CUDA.

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305
    edited October 2015

One of the big reasons the option exists for Iray is because it's created by invidia.  If Cell CPUs (used in the PS3 and many server archtectures) didn't require so much baby-sitting we'd have rockin' CPU render speeds, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.  It has a lot in common with GPUs.  

Post edited by dakkuuan on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    RCTSpanky said:

When I render in Iray I can use the my graphic card to render the picture without using the CPU. Is it possible to render also in 3Delight without usage of the CPU? I ask better before I try it.

3Delight uses the CPU only I'm afraid, and always has

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2015
    RCTSpanky said:

3Delight uses the CPU only I'm afraid, and always has

But not a definite always will...

If, eventually 3DL does have a GPU mode, it won't be for a while and definitely not version 11 (11.0.130 is the version in 4.8; the current standalone 3DL version is 12.0.19).   Currently, as has been said, it's CPU only.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850

Thanks for the helpful answers.