1820s G2F Hair Bundle 2 -- 4 historical updos!

Download from Renderosity: Part 1 | Part 2

Download from ShareCG: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

by ModernWizard [Elizabeth A. Allen]

Daz Studio only

Tested only in Daz Studio Pro 4.6 64 bit.

promo01

This bundle contains 4 hairstyles, Ailsa, Beileag, Liziko, and Zsoka, representing some popular hairdos for Western women in the 1820s [plus or minus a few years], constructed with reference to period likenesses. Updos inspired by those of Ancient Greece were popular, so there were a lot of headbands, curls gathered at the crown of the head, and loose ringlets artfully dangling down the neck.

Ailsa has 7 material presets for the hair, 4 for the band, and 8 movement and styling morphs.

Beileag has 7 material presets for the hair, along with 9 movement and styling morphs.

Liziko has 6 material presets for the hair, 3 for the bands, and 8 movement and styling morphs.

Zsoka has 8 material presets for the hair, along with 10 movement and style morphs.

NOTE: My amateur construction of these hairstyles depends on lots of little high-poly curls, so they hog resources. But hey, they look nice. :p

After installation, find the items in My Library > People > Genesis 2 Female > Hair > ModernWizard, in folders labeled Ailsa, Beileag, Liziko, and Zsoka.

SOURCES

This freebie uses resources from the following:

Hair Designer by PhilC
http://www.philc.net/HairDesigner.htm

Biscuits Hair Merchant Resource 01
https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/biscuits-hair-merchant-resource/77613/

MODEL

This freebie is modeled by Michaela, a custom dialed character on the Genesis 2 Female base. She uses Saiyaness’ lovely Mahala head morph and body texture [available at Daz3D] and various head and body morphs for further shaping.

USAGE NOTES

Use for whatever purposes you like, commercial or non-commercial. Attribution is always nice, but not necessary. Just don’t repackage and call your own. Have fun!

ABOUT ME

the tacky trove, repository of all my digital freebies: http://oddpla.net/tacky/

Powers of Creation, home of my digital art and other creative endeavors:
http://oddpla.net/modernwizard/

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Thanks so much for this fab share ModernWizard.

I so love these hair styles.

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272

Thank you. Might I suggest some realistic 1870's hairstyles? in all modern western movies you see variations of the Psyche Knot but that is not a 1870's/Wild West style, it is a 1910's one.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955

Wow :) Thank You. Looks great.

• jpb06t said:

Thank you. Might I suggest some realistic 1870's hairstyles? in all modern western movies you see variations of the Psyche Knot but that is not a 1870's/Wild West style, it is a 1910's one.

Hi -- do you have any particular styles in mind? I've got a bundle of 1850s/1860s women's hair to post, but I'd gladly look into some 1870s...

--MW

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272

Something like

hairstyles which I never saw provided for Poser or Studio.

As this page sums, hairstyles during the 19th century kept changing quickly (like dresses), every decade or so.

Again, lots of thanks for your unique work.

• Oooh wow, cascades of curls! Those are my favorite types of hairstyles to make! I especially like the first picture you shared. I'll see what I can do...

--MW

• Cool hair sets, thank you so much!

Any plans for G3F hair models in the future?

• Cool hair sets, thank you so much!

Any plans for G3F hair models in the future?

As soon as Dimension3D comes out with GenX3 and I can port all my characters over to G3F, I'll be using that as a base model, but right now it's G2F. So the answer is yes, eventually. :)

--MW

• Sweet. Looking forward to it :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

Very happy with the result!

This is the Bethiah updo...

(Macroskin, Laticis eyebrows, Vintage Rose dress, Mec4D HDR lighting/background, Unshaven 2 shader (mostly) on hair and eyebrows)

Bethiah G2F.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • Very happy with the result!

This is the Bethiah updo...

(Macroskin, Laticis eyebrows, Vintage Rose dress, Mec4D HDR lighting/background, Unshaven 2 shader (mostly) on hair and eyebrows)

Ooooh, nice to know that Iray shaders work with my hairs! I've been doing them solely for 3DL, as you can tell, and I'm glad they [or at least Bethiah] can be used with the Iray engine.

--MW

Iray shaders can work fantastically for transmapped hair, thank goodness.

The big trick is to make sure you have robust bump maps (for medium to long shots) or use displacement (for closeup like this), to 'fake' the appearance of many individual hairs.

In this case, I used the Opacity map as a displacement map, too, at about -.05 to +.05 range, and also for the curls increased horizontal tiling to 2 or 4 (I forget). Also, for anyone doing Iray transmapped hair with displacement, you really want Subd 4. Which... is a strain. I had to remove a lot of unnecessary maps for most of her body, like limbs (since they didn't appear in shot) and make much of what is offscreen non-visible to try to keep rendering times reasonable.

The other thing I like about at least Bethiah (I haven't poked at the others yet) is that lighting isn't baked into the hair color too much. I mean, it is, a LITTLE, but not like a lot of other hairdos.

Iray handles highlights and gloss accurately, and any baked-in stuff ends up looking weird.

Woops, didn't realize Bethiah was from your earlier freebies. Heh.

• Iray shaders can work fantastically for transmapped hair, thank goodness.

The big trick is to make sure you have robust bump maps (for medium to long shots) or use displacement (for closeup like this), to 'fake' the appearance of many individual hairs.

In this case, I used the Opacity map as a displacement map, too, at about -.05 to +.05 range, and also for the curls increased horizontal tiling to 2 or 4 (I forget). Also, for anyone doing Iray transmapped hair with displacement, you really want Subd 4. Which... is a strain. I had to remove a lot of unnecessary maps for most of her body, like limbs (since they didn't appear in shot) and make much of what is offscreen non-visible to try to keep rendering times reasonable.

The other thing I like about at least Bethiah (I haven't poked at the others yet) is that lighting isn't baked into the hair color too much. I mean, it is, a LITTLE, but not like a lot of other hairdos.

Iray handles highlights and gloss accurately, and any baked-in stuff ends up looking weird.

I know what you mean! Baked-in highlights give me hives. I try to avoid them as much as possible. NB: Bethiah is also an earlier example of my attempts at freebie historical hairstyles, so my skill in creating convincing center parts and hairlines has improved [marginally]. :p

I'm so pleased that someone is using my freebie and having some fun with it...

--MW

Oh definitely. I consider them valuable additions to my library!

And here's Bethiah as an Irish lass... http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/BethiahG2F-Eire-576738956

Zsoka ended up reminding me of modern hair, too, so I went in a different direction:
    http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Zsoka-576766593

Since it wasn't quite as close-up, I didn't need to use Displacement (which cut down on render time)

FOr some reason I can not get this set of hair to work in my daz.

Did I do something wrong when I D/Lthem?

• Will -- yeah, I think Zsoka could work equally well as a historical style and as a modern fancy updo, and your render illustrates that nicely. It also makes the model look way better than my promos... :)

Hi Saphirewild -- did you download all the necessary parts? It's two parts if you download from Rendo and three from ShareCG.

If you did, what kind of errors are you getting when you try to load them?

As noted, the models are high-poly, due to my amateur construction techniques, so they may be taxing your RAM. I'll be watching this thread, so feel free to post more or PM me.

--MW

Heh, well, everyone has their thing. I can't do model styling of hair to save my life. (I've tried repeatedly with LAMH and everything looks like 'Barbie after the kids got ahold of scissors')

Will -- yeah, I think Zsoka could work equally well as a historical style and as a modern fancy updo, and your render illustrates that nicely. It also makes the model look way better than my promos... :)

Hi Saphirewild -- did you download all the necessary parts? It's two parts if you download from Rendo and three from ShareCG.

If you did, what kind of errors are you getting when you try to load them?

As noted, the models are high-poly, due to my amateur construction techniques, so they may be taxing your RAM. I'll be watching this thread, so feel free to post more or PM me.

--MW

I am going to go make sure I have them all cause I got them from ShareCG

Beileag!

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Greek-Beileag-577124569

(And the great thing there is almost everything depicted is free -- I used the free Skin Essentials, the hair is free, the dress is free, the HDRI is one of Mec4D's freebies, G2F is, obviously, free... there's some Fit Control, Unshaven 2 shaders, and I think the skin came from something I purchased, but not sure)

• Ooooh, nice render, especially the lighting and contemplative mood! Of course I see the failings in the hair model, but that speaks nothing about your work and everything about mine. I got your PM by the way and may take you up on the offer for my next historical bundle, whenever I get it out.

--MW

Ok I have all the hair packs ModernWizard and it is still doing the not finding all componets thing and ending up a block on their haeds, so is there something I am missing here?