Iray Skin TuneUp for Genesis 2 Figures [Updated for 4.8+]

jag11jag11 Posts: 885
edited January 2016 in Freebies

http://xenteia.com/G2IraySkinTuneUp v1.1 by jag11.zip

http://xenteia.com/g2male_face_opacity.zip in case your figures eyes poke through.

Iray Skin TuneUp for Genesis 2 Figures is a script for DS 4.8+ to help you get the best results from your old Genesis 2 figures. This script also sets up the required Geometry Shell for best results.

To install, just copy the content to your scripts folder.

How to use:

• Load any Genesis 2 Male/Female figure.
  • Apply the Iray Optimized Genesis 2 Male/Female Materials.
  • Go to your scripts folders and double click on the G2IraySkinTuneUp v1.1 by jag11 icon.

In case your skin comes too red you can lower it down by using the SSS Reflectance Tint. Still too red, lower down the gamma property in image editor in steps of .4 units (2.2, 1.8, 1.4, 1)

Need your skin more glossy, just rise the Glossiness setting. If you still need it more glossy change the Glossy Specular, valid glossy levels are 51, 59, 102, 153, 204. Remember Glossy Specular is controlled by Glossiness property, so after changing Glossy Specular always start from Glossines 1 and lower down from there.

It is recommended to choose a neutral lighting for environment while adjusting gamma, glossiness or tint, your goal is to "match" the skin tone of your original texture, you can see this step as a calibration step. Once you're happy with skin tone you can use any light set you require. 

Saludos.

GiselleTunedUp.png
500 x 650 - 410K
Post edited by jag11 on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

thanks jag

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Thank you, will try it out.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Nice...

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305
    edited December 2015

I'm getting an error.  I can't tell what's going on with it because I have no idea where Daz keeps its log. UPDATE: I found the log, and it just said "Failed to load script: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Scripts/G2f iray skin tuneup/G2IraySkinTuneUp by jag11.dse"

Post edited by dakkuuan on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,854

The script runs for me, but Mei Lin is way too red. I'll try the reflectance tint suggestion. I noticed that the surface settings for the geometry shell use the DAZ Studio Default shader. Is that what you intend? Was I supposed to apply the Optimized shader and your script to the geometry shell, too?

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

whats the benefit of the geoshell ?

• dakkuuan said:

I'm getting an error.  I can't tell what's going on with it because I have no idea where Daz keeps its log. UPDATE: I found the log, and it just said "Failed to load script: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Scripts/G2f iray skin tuneup/G2IraySkinTuneUp by jag11.dse"

Which version of Daz Studio are you using? Compressed and encrypted scripts (which that is) are tagged with their version and won't run in older versions.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited December 2015

Hi Jag11,

what do I have to select?

I ever get "An error occured ..."

I'm in the surface selection tab, have the skin-collection selected. Every other selection option has the same error result. I first applied the iray optimized skin.
    And of cause it is a G2F.

Post edited by AndyS on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 2015
    dakkuuan said:

Make sure you have version 4.9.0.54.

barbult said:

The script runs for me, but Mei Lin is way too red. I'll try the reflectance tint suggestion. I noticed that the surface settings for the geometry shell use the DAZ Studio Default shader. Is that what you intend? Was I supposed to apply the Optimized shader and your script to the geometry shell, too?

Script automatically creates the Geometry Shell at the apropriate distance and sets opacity to 100% only for the needed surfaces, no need to do anything else to GS unless you need more realism.

Ruphuss said:

To prevent light from penetrating more than is need, without GS figures glow.

AndyS said:

Hi Jag11,

I'm in the surface selection tab, have the skin-collection selected. Every other selection option has the same error result. I first applied the iray optimized skin.

On Scene Tab select the Genesis 2 Figure you need settings to apply to. There no need to select skin surfaces. Which version are you using?

dakkuuan said:

Which version of Daz Studio are you using? Compressed and encrypted scripts (which that is) are tagged with their version and won't run in older versions.

As Richard points script was made in version 4.9.0.54 and is encrypted it'll only load in same or newer version of DS.

Post edited by jag11 on
  • AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited December 2015
    jag11 said:
    As Richard points script was made in version 4.9.0.54 and is encrypted it'll only load in same or newer version of DS.

Why only for the current beta version?

What about older or newer betas?

What about 4.8?

As I know a lot of customers are not able to run 4.9 due to PostgreSQL incompatibilities.

Post edited by AndyS on
    AndyS said:
    jag11 said:

Why only for the current beta version?

What about older or newer betas?

What about 4.8?

As I know a lot of customers are not able to run 4.9 due to PostgreSQL incompatibilities.

Reason is I unistalled 4.8 when the 4.9 beta come out, which has improved SSS handling among other goodies. You can get the same results using 4.8 but require a little bit more teaking the gamma.

Gimme a few minutes to install 4.8 and save a 4.8+ compatible script.

jag11 said:
    dakkuuan said:

Make sure you have version 4.9.0.54.

barbult said:

Script automatically creates the Geometry Shell at the apropriate distance and sets opacity to 100% only for the needed surfaces, no need to do anything else to GS unless you need more realism.

Ruphuss said:

To prevent light from penetrating more than is need, without GS figures glow.

AndyS said:

Hi Jag11,

On Scene Tab select the Genesis 2 Figure you need settings to apply to. There no need to select skin surfaces. Which version are you using?

dakkuuan said:

Guess I'll be passing on this then.

Updated for DAZ Studio 4.8+

jag11 said:

Updated for DAZ Studio 4.8+

TY

I tried the new script on Gianni 6. I'm having a problem with the placement of the geometry shell. It is poking through his eyes and ears. I tried adjusting the mesh offset on the shell, but I couldn't find a setting that seemed to work. Any suggestions?

Gianni 6 jag11 G2 Skin Tune Up DS 4.9.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 455K

In most of the figures Geometry shells behave pretty good. In this case you can try two possible solutions, the first one would be setting Gs mesh offset to -.10 or -.15 to see if it helps. The other solution, is create an opacity mask for the Gs for the eye area, you can later use this opacity mask with other figures who's Gs doesn't behave well. For ears apply the same opacity mask solution but only for the back of the ears. If you want your figure's ears more translucence you can use a translucency map

HTH

Here is Bree V5 with my normal maps.  Looks pretty good.  Thanks.

Autumn G2FTuneup.png
    1000 x 1618 - 1M

Hey Jag would you mind posting the source for this?  I've always wanted to create scripts using Gshells but I'm not good with daz scripting.  Which is sad, I have a master's in computer science lmao.  

edited December 2015
    jag11 said:

In most of the figures Geometry shells behave pretty good. In this case you can try two possible solutions, the first one would be setting Gs mesh offset to -.10 or -.15 to see if it helps. The other solution, is create an opacity mask for the Gs for the eye area, you can later use this opacity mask with other figures who's Gs doesn't behave well. For ears apply the same opacity mask solution but only for the back of the ears. If you want your figure's ears more translucence you can use a translucency map

HTH

Thanks for the suggestions. I've worked on trying to fix this, without success. I haven't found any mesh offset that will prevent the poke through, unless it is so small it is ineffective for its original purpose. I tried the masking idea and was fairly successful around the eyes, but failed miserably on the ears. I couldn't guess where to mask when painting in Photoshop. Every attempt was wrong. And masked areas didn't look quite right in the final render of the character - kind of dull and grayish. Gianni is the only model I've seen this problem on so far. The girls' geoshells seem to work better.

Here is an interesting render of the Gianni geoshell with mesh offset -0.2. Look what happens around the eyes and the fingernails. I was surprised.

Gianni 6 Geo Shell mesh offset -0.2.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 338K
    Post edited by barbult on
    dakkuuan said:

Hey Jag would you mind posting the source for this?  I've always wanted to create scripts using Gshells but I'm not good with daz scripting.  Which is sad, I have a master's in computer science lmao.  

Actually I used code from one of the sample scripts to create Geometry Shells at here.

edited December 2015
    barbult said:
    jag11 said:

HTH

Thanks for the suggestions. I've worked on trying to fix this, without success. I haven't found any mesh offset that will prevent the poke through, unless it is so small it is ineffective for its original purpose. I tried the masking idea and was fairly successful around the eyes, but failed miserably on the ears. I couldn't guess where to mask when painting in Photoshop. Every attempt was wrong. And masked areas didn't look quite right in the final render of the character - kind of dull and grayish. Gianni is the only model I've seen this problem on so far. The girls' geoshells seem to work better.

Here is an interesting render of the Gianni geoshell with mesh offset -0.2. Look what happens around the eyes and the fingernails. I was surprised.

I made one opacity map a couple of months ago, I'll post it when I get home.

Post edited by jag11 on
    edited December 2015

Here is the opacity mask for face, can't find the one for ears. I'll come up with something. This opacity mask goes in GS's face opacity surface.

HTH

Post edited by jag11 on
  • Tim NTim N Posts: 193

Thanks for this.

For ears the best approach is create a morph to thicken the thinest ear parts, in reality ears are not as thin as Genesis 2 figures.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

One approach I've taken is, instead of using a geoshell, make an actual copy of the figure, give it a push modifier of -.1, and then use one of those 'ear gone/ear bump' morphs you can find in various places.

This is a comparison showing render results of three settings, left image is default scott materials as it loads, middle images is a render after applying Iray optimized mats, right image is a render after using the provided script. I used the one of FWSA Soft Light Probes. No other tweaking was made.

scott-comparison2_edited.jpg
    2432 x 1503 - 551K

I tried the eyes mask for the geoshell on Gianni, and that does the job for the eye poke through. Thank you, jag11. I haven't figured out how to make ears thicker.

I was trying DS 4.9 earlier, now I'm back to good old reliable 4.8. My Gianni 6 with tune up is coming out very orange and saturated. I don't know where to look to try to fix this. Any suggestions? Perhaps I need to try the Image Editor gamma change.

Oops, I had another problem. I loaded Michael 7 for skin tone comparison, so I could be sure it was not my lights that made Gianni 6 orange. When I positioned the two characters, I moved Gianni to one side and Michael 7 to the other side of the viewport. When I applied the tune up to Gianni, the geoshell did not get loaded in the correct position. I had to zero out the geoshell translation, since it is parented to Gianni.

Geoshell mislocated.JPG
    943 x 1221 - 107K
    Michael 7 with Gianni 6 Skin Tune Up Eyes masked.png
    927 x 1200 - 1M

Look, I'm getting closer to what is pleasing to me, using the suggestions of gamma, SSS Reflectance tint, glossiness. He looks a little washed out now, so I probably took the gamma to low. Now I will keep working to make it better.

Michael 7 with Gianni 6 Skin Tune Up Eyes masked modified.png
    927 x 1200 - 1M
    edited December 2015

I sure have learned a lot in this thread. Thanks, jag11, for your script and hints for gamma, SSS tint, etc.

My Gianni still has those pesky ear problems, but his skin is looking pretty good now, I think.

Gianni jag11 gamma 1.4.jpg
    989 x 1600 - 409K
    Post edited by barbult on

looks pretty good. I was traveling home, I hope to post the fix for ears tomorrow.

Happy holidays