Looking for a Daz Compatible Incendiary Rocket Launcher

I've been looking for a particular model Incendiary Rocket Launcher that's compatible with Daz Studios 4.22 Genesis 8, 8.1 & 9 M/F characters.

My questions are: Are these IRLs compatible?

- How is the IRL imported into Daz?

- How is the IRL positioned and gripped by the character. Usually it is placed onto the shoulder and gripped by both hands. I do have weapon pose packs.

- Will they work, behave and render correctly with Iray.?

V1

V2

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,870

n.aspros123 said:

I've been looking for a particular model Incendiary Rocket Launcher that's compatible with Daz Studios 4.22 Genesis 8, 8.1 & 9 M/F characters.

You can import FBX, and hopefully it retains its rigging, or you can import FBX and rig it yourself inside DS.

- How is the IRL positioned and gripped by the character. Usually it is placed onto the shoulder and gripped by both hands. I do have weapon pose packs.

I don't know if any pre-made poses are going to work for something like this. You could probably use a hand pose from a rifle for the trigger pull, but might be on your own for posing the other hand for support.

- Will they work, behave and render correctly with Iray.?

Textures generally don't survive transferring from one program/format to another, so you'll likely have to set the shaders up yourself. Iray Uber is a very generalized shader, so all you really need to do is figure out which map goes in which slot.

Also, it's not exactly the same as what you're looking at, but this is pretty damn close, and it's already very well rigged and comes with some firing hand poses. You could throw some worn metal shaders on it to make it look more like your examples.

• n.aspros123n.aspros123 Posts: 152
    edited August 16

Thank you for answering my questions. I have many more as I'm stil learning. 

Gordig said:

n.aspros123 said:

You can import FBX, and hopefully it retains its rigging, or you can import FBX and rig it yourself inside DS.

FBX files are prefered over .obj in this instance, why? 

- How are FBX files installed into Daz?

- I have not done any rigging before. Any tutorials that would be easy to follow? 

- Will they work, behave and render correctly with Iray?

Textures generally don't survive transferring from one program/format to another, so you'll likely have to set the shaders up yourself. Iray Uber is a very generalized shader, so all you really need to do is figure out which map goes in which slot.

- Where is Iray Uber and how is it used? 

- How are the shader files setup?

- How are the map files selected and imported to the correct locations?

Also, it's not exactly the same as what you're looking at, but this is pretty damn close, and it's already very well rigged and comes with some firing hand poses. You could throw some worn metal shaders on it to make it look more like your examples.

I've seen this. IMO, it looks like a toy. I'd still prefer the model IRL I posted in the OP.

@crosswind

Post edited by n.aspros123 on
  • OBJ is static, FBX can carry rigging - though you want to be using the current beta to take advantage of some improvements there.

File>Import will let you bring in FBX and OBJ files (OBJ requires setting options to make sure the scale is correct).

If Iray is the current render then the Iray Uber base shader will be applied on import, if not seelct the model in the Scene and its surfaces in the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane, then double-click the Iray Uber Base preset in the Presets tab. The Surfaces pane's editor tab is also where you apply maps (by drag-and-drop or by clicking the icon to the left of the colour proeprty and selecting Browse...)

Richard Haseltine said:

OBJ is static, FBX can carry rigging - though you want to be using the current beta to take advantage of some improvements there.

File>Import will let you bring in FBX and OBJ files (OBJ requires setting options to make sure the scale is correct).

If Iray is the current render then the Iray Uber base shader will be applied on import, if not seelct the model in the Scene and its surfaces in the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane, then double-click the Iray Uber Base preset in the Presets tab. The Surfaces pane's editor tab is also where you apply maps (by drag-and-drop or by clicking the icon to the left of the colour proeprty and selecting Browse...)

Thank you for replying.

Nvidia Iray needs to be selected, not texture or filament or any of the options in the viewpoint sceen? Or is it a totally different Iray option?

Current Beta? Do you mean Daz or Iray Uber?

• The render engine, set at the top of the Edit or Advanced tabs of Render Settings, needs to be Iray. The Viewport Drawstyle doesn't matter.

The DS beta https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta - it can be installed alongside the General Release, it has its own settings (so if your content directories are non-standard you will need to update its settings).

I had a go importing the IRL into DAZ. It's all over the place and no textures. I had a look for the specific textures but cannot find them. Can something be done with Blender the export to DAZ?

I do have blender. I'm very unexperienced with it. However it does import properly without the textures. I'm not sure where to look for the textures and how to apply them in Blender?

Files that were available for download.

IRL DAZ.JPG
    1395 x 897 - 93K
    IRL Blender.JPG
    1920 x 1041 - 147K
    IRL Download Op1.JPG
    342 x 289 - 17K
    IRL Download Op2.JPG
    347 x 290 - 16K
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,187

The textures imported with an obj would normally only be the base textures, but in general you have to apply the textures yourself.

I would suggest to look in the zip file and see if there is textures there.

What does the product description from where you got it say about textures?

felis said:

The textures imported with an obj would normally only be the base textures, but in general you have to apply the textures yourself.

I would suggest to look in the zip file and see if there is textures there.

What does the product description from where you got it say about textures?

Look at the OP @felis  

I'll PM you the link. Check your inbox.

edited August 22

According to the product page there is 19 textures.

Have you found them? I suggested to look in the zip file.

If you in blender click on materials (the red ball) or in DS on the surface tab, how many materials/surfaces is there then?

Edit: now I looked better at your images, and realised that it consist of a number of objects gathered around some nulls. How does it look if you expand thos nulls?

Post edited by felis on

felis said:

If you in blender click on materials (the red ball) or in DS on the surface tab, how many materials/surfaces is there then?

Edit: now I looked better at your images, and realised that it consist of a number of objects gathered around some nulls. How does it look if you expand thos nulls?

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by nulls and how are they expanded?

• n.aspros123 said:

felis said:

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by nulls and how are they expanded?

The items listed in the Scene pane for the model have a hollow cube icon, and two are called "Null" Click the triangle next to them to show the null's children, and repeat for more levels if needed - or right-click in the Scene pane and choose the Expand All option.

edited August 22

Why is the IRL apart or not joined in Daz? In Blender it's together.

How is the IRL "glued" back together as it should be?

Can I do something with Blender, like add the textures and export it to Daz as a complete compatible file?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,870

n.aspros123 said:

Can I do something with Blender, like add the textures and export it to Daz as a complete compatible file?

In your own Blender screenshot, the IRL is separated out into parts grouped under nulls. 

• Gordig said:

n.aspros123 said:

In your own Blender screenshot, the IRL is separated out into parts grouped under nulls. 

and you could export as OBJ, using the option to use Node Names as Groups, to get a single, rigged object which could then be rigged as a figure if desired (groups are not required, but they do make the job easier).

edited August 23

Gordig said:

Thanks for your reply.

How are the textures applied?  I'm unfamiliar with Blender.

edited August 23

I have an IRL in OBJ and FBX format and would like to: 

- Find and add it's textures,

- Save it as a compatible file and export to DAZ so loads as one whole piece?

It's not loading when imported to Daz correctly but it does when it's i ported in Blender. See Attachments 

I'm very new to Blender.

IRL-Blender.jpg
    1920 x 1041 - 147K
    IRL-DAZ.jpg
    1395 x 897 - 93K
    IRL-Download-Op1.jpg
    293 x 249 - 21K
    IRL-Download-Op2.jpg
    296 x 252 - 19K
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

You can join objects in blender before exporting: object > join.

How to add the textures ?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,371

n.aspros123 said:

Surfaces tab in Daz Studio

lilweep said:

n.aspros123 said:

Refering to Blender. @lilweep 

n.aspros123 said:

lilweep said:

n.aspros123 said:

Refering to Blender. @lilweep 

well youre trying to texture an obj in Daz Studio if im not mistaken, so not sure texturing things in Blender provides much of a solution, unless youre assuming there is a Blender to Daz bridge, which there isnt. Or if youre assuming you can export an obj or fbx from Blender and that will be a robust Blender to Daz Bridge.

In any case, the screenshot you show of Daz Studio is not an imported obj file. Did you try importing the obj into Daz or just the FBX and called it a day? FBX files are notoriously annoying to import to Daz Studio although it claims to be much better now.  If native obj doesnt work. Import the obj to Blender and then ​Export from Blender as obj and then import the updated obj to Daz Studio. Set up textures manually in Daz Studio Surfaces tab.

Dont rely on .MTL file that comes with obj to assign textures properly in Daz Studio unless you like your imported objs not having all maps assigned, and having maps assigned to wrong channel with random values.

edited August 23

As to where you find textures, they should be with the OBJ somewhere, usually in a subfolder. I assume you downloaded the .zip that came with your file.

OBJ cant store textures, only reference them.

Post edited by lilweep on

n.aspros123 said:

so loads as one whole piece?

Also, why would you want this, then the ammunition would be fixed in place. It needs to be multiple pieces. 

lilweep said:

n.aspros123 said:

Also, why would you want this, then the ammunition would be fixed in place. It needs to be multiple pieces. 

@lilweep

Thanks for your replies.

When you look at the IRL Daz shot, the incendairy rocket launcher (IRL) peices are Separated or Not Together. It needs to be joined together with the rocket which has fins as a separate entity. See attachment.

In Blender, the IRL is joined assembled correctly. How do I view the IRL in render mode in Blender? That's why I'm asking how to find and add the textures to their correct parts of the IRL and exporting to Daz. I've heard of baking the textures in as well. https://youtu.be/NQMtZi9j5d0

incendairyrocketlauncher1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 100K
  • Please don't make people waste their time going over ground that has already been covered by starting a new thread. As a courrtesy to those who replied the new thread has been merged with the existing one.

n.aspros123 said:

lilweep said:

n.aspros123 said:

@lilweep

Thanks for your replies.

When you look at the IRL Daz shot, the incendairy rocket launcher (IRL) peices are Separated or Not Together. It needs to be joined together with the rocket which has fins as a separate entity. See attachment.

That much i can see yes.

In Blender, the IRL is joined assembled correctly.

It's technically not, in your screenshot in Blender it is all separate pieces. It is not joined correctly, it is positioned or transformed correctly.

To get it to Daz into correct position while maintaining separate pieces:

1. In blender, select the parts that need to be joined together. Press CTRL + J (while in Object mode) to make them a single object.

2. Select the joined piece, export as obj, choosing the selected only in the export dialogue.

3. Repeat this process for as many different pieces you need to join and export for Daz Studio.

4. Select the exported obj files and drag them into Daz Studio. Then click okay int the dialogue box.

How do I view the IRL in render mode in Blender? That's why I'm asking how to find and add the textures to their correct parts of the IRL and exporting to Daz. I've heard of baking the textures in as well. https://youtu.be/NQMtZi9j5d0

I already said before that you dont need to set up textures in Blender in order to bring textures into Daz Studio. Please read what i wrote, I am not repeating, im sorry.

YOu purhcased a fully textured product form cgtrader, you dont need to bake textures... Textures are already baked and set up for you to bring into any software. Just download the OBJ .rar file and unzip it. It will have the obj and textures there for you, surely?

Add textures in the Surfaces tab of Daz Studio. (Drag the image textures into the correct slots of the Iray Uber shader int he Surfaces Tab and adjust the values accordingly).   

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,165
    edited August 23

n.aspros123 Things are getting complicated... my friend !  You don't have to handle this so cumbersomely. For the time being, try this first:

- Have you had DS Public Build installed ? If not, order it here : https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta Download and Install it with DIM, give it a correct setting as per screenshot 1 beforehand.

- There's an mtl file on the product page, download it along with OBJ file.

- Launch DS Public Build, firstly drag RSL OBJ file to Viewport, see if it looks right. Then drag RSL FBX file into Viewport, see if it looks right.

Because only OBJ / FBX importers in Public Build can work more correctly, as well as with less bug !... especially for the cases in which you need to import the products from 3rd-parity sites.

Then, if the result looks good or correct, paste a screenshot ~~

SNAG-2024-8-23-010.png
    1109 x 946 - 65K
    Post edited by crosswind on

Thank you all for your replies.

I've installed  DAZ 4.22.1 Beta.

I've opened both .fbx and .obj files. I cannot find and/or apply the colours to the IRL. I've looked for several hours and I can't find them. I can apply Iray shaders in the Surfaces>Presets>Iray but not the specific colour jpgs or whatever is needed files. I've snipped all the files that was downloaded and unzipped from the purchase. See attachments.

IRL obj in DAZ.JPG
    1918 x 990 - 162K
    IRL fbx in DAZ 1.JPG
    1395 x 912 - 108K
    IRL fbx in DAZ.JPG
    518 x 546 - 40K
    IRL DAZ Files 1.JPG
    814 x 388 - 44K
    IRL DAZ Files 2.JPG
    472 x 197 - 12K
    IRL DAZ Files 3.JPG
    357 x 177 - 8K

I must say, the creater has done a fairly poor job of naming it proberly.

And I am a bit puzzled by the 3 images and their names. I can see a use for the first (to the left), as it could fit into the rougness channel. But I can't really see what the 2 others could be used for.

In your first post is, what looks like a texture. Where is that from?

If you really can't find more images, you could add a suitable color in base color and then the grey texture in roughness. And then when you have a surface you like, copy that to other surfaces, and modify the base color as needed.

edited August 24

Well... purchased another one from a different site. It loads and comes with TGA files for textures.

Options for color when a surface is selected are : Diffuse, Specular, Ambient, Repflection, Refraction, Line Preview.

I'm afraid to ask...Where do they all go?

See attachments.

m202-flash-01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 51K
    IRL Blender 1.JPG
    685 x 298 - 40K
    IRL Blender 2.JPG
    719 x 214 - 26K
    IRL Blender 3.JPG
    711 x 312 - 35K
    IRL Blender 4.JPG
    1870 x 919 - 174K
    IRL Blender 5.JPG