Problem locating the Lighting controls for environment

Dear crosswind or anyone else, I have a problem when trying to position this character https://www.daz3d.com/olympia-9-hd

I have been trying to do a render of her with this environment https://www.daz3d.com/xi-zeus-throne-room

After positionning via Texture view, switched to Iray view, the room and the character are dark, I can't locate the controls/presets or whatever are for the lighting.

This situation is going upside down, help sad

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,169
    edited August 22

Dear Halcon, I don't have Olympia, not my dish, but I have the throne room. It's a closed area with less interior light even if there're some emissive light sources but they're not bright enough.

So you may try adding a good HDR and some spotlights around Olympia. As a simple example, in the screenshots, I placed a V9 there, an HDR in Render settings, a key + rear light, and then crank up Environment Intense in Render Settings. This can be one of options for your ref.

SNAG-2024-8-22-101.png
    2560 x 1392 - 4M
    SNAG-2024-8-22-102.png
    2560 x 1392 - 4M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 513

Another way to brighten up an interior is to adjust tone mapping settings. You can either just move the overall "tone mapping" setting itself, or adjust the shutter speed, f/stop, and iso. The default tone mapping settings are for an outdoor scene with bright light. For a closed interior, using the shutter, f/stop, and iso I would set shutter to 30 and f/stop to 2 and see what that does with the interior brightness. increasing iso will also brighten the image.

• crosswind You said: "I don't have Olympia, not my dish, but I have the throne room"

You better stayed using the cat avatar, after all a feral cat suits you, but if you prefer Kung Fu Panda to match your name as a shaolin monk, well.. I don't know what to say.

So this throne room is darker than an horror movie?

Jeez, how can I use a HDR inside there? unless Poly Haven have such thing I would go there and grab what I want, the question is which kind of HDR could be needed.

Chezjuan Thanks to come here, now that you mentioned two aspects of the lighting for outdoor and interior, this gave a better understanding.

The shutter, f/stop, and iso has to be applied but the problem is to find those pesky settings controls buried somewhere else, at times I don't want to touch these settings as it may cause some issues, one wrong move will wreck havoc everything.

I am not a professional photographer, but I need to find the perfect balance for that scenario.

edited August 22

Halcon Bluesky said:

crosswind You said: "I don't have Olympia, not my dish, but I have the throne room"

You better stayed using the cat avatar, after all a feral cat suits you, but if you prefer Kung Fu Panda to match your name as a shaolin monk, well.. I don't know what to say.

I'll think about that... Because months ago, we lost our ginger cat who'd been with us for 10+ years ( we picked him on the street when he was a stray cat...). He died of a disease and went to the meow planet. So each time I saw a cat pic, I can't help thinking of him....

So this throne room is darker than an horror movie?

Jeez, how can I use a HDR inside there? unless Poly Haven have such thing I would go there and grab what I want, the question is which kind of HDR could be needed.

Because the vendor gives no render settings, so users have to tweak it. Do you have any good HDR products ?  HDRI maps from Poly Haven will also do... choose some maps you like and give it a try ?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

For the HDRI it will be outside and shine in through windows, and it looks like there is a large window in the roof, so an HDRI with high sun should be good. Or maybe alternatively remove the HDRI map and use the sun-sky, still with a high sun.

Ref tone mapping. If there is too litlle light in the room, tone mapping will just give you a brighter room with lots of noise. There need to be enough light. In films you might shoot a nightscene in daylight and then with tonemapping make it look like night.

• Halcon BlueskyHalcon Bluesky Posts: 388
    edited August 22

crosswind I know, is hard when you lose a pet, your friend Gato went to another world; even so many families lose pets but want to replace them with another one.

I had a very nice Maltese Terrier dog, I saw him grow from puppy to old age, he lived long for 15 years, he had his "wife and sons", all of them died too.

I want to find this kind of dog race and do some renders, remeber the happy moments with them.

felis & crosswind Thanks for the suggestion, I will find an HDRi if there are any windows to let light illuminate the room.

Post edited by Halcon Bluesky on

Halcon Bluesky said:

crosswind I know, is hard when you lose a pet, your friend Gato went to another world; even so many families lose pets but want to replace them with another one.

I had a very nice Maltese Terrier dog, I saw him grow from puppy to old age, he lived long for 15 years, he had his "wife and sons", all of them died too.

I want to find this kind of dog race and do some renders, remeber the happy moments with them.

felis & crosswind Thanks for the suggestion, I will find an HDRi if there are any windows to let light illuminate the room.

I'm also sorry to hear that story about your maltese and his family, you know what... sometimes I'm very vulnerable. So.... anyway, I still have one and I'll be all fine. Thank you my friend ! And good luck !

• crosswind you don't have to be sad my dear friend.

I have had very nice moments with excellents animals, I had a German Sheppard, a Buldog, Birds, Cats, all of them lived and died.

I have overcome this situation.

Life must go on, we can't dwell on the past, but there are momeents when we want to recreate something that gave us so mush pleasure.

Take care, I will coomeback here and post whatever may cause me trouble when using Daz Studio.

Halcon Bluesky Thank you again my dear friend ! You're so kind and considerate ! And fortunately you can understand my feelings... but maybe you can't imagine that my wife and I cried like little girls when we saw our ginger pushed into that pet cremator... heart broken ~~

Anyway, I should be a strong panda, haha ~ I still hang in here !  And yes, pls DO ! Take care, have fun and happy rendering ! laugh