Genesis 8 or 9?

currently I'm using Genesis 8, but when I browse shop there's a many product that actually looks really good and it's only for Genesis 9

it makes me wonder should I move on to Genesis 9

but then again even if I try to move on to new genesis so many product that I got only works with Genesis 8

it means that I have to buy all the stuff again for Genesis 9

how do you deal with this situation?  do you just drop certain generation completely?

or do you use both generation same time?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,870

MaxWell said:

how do you deal with this situation?  do you just drop certain generation completely?

or do you use both generation same time?

You do whatever is appropriate for your circumstances. It's worth considering that generations are backward-compatible but not forward, meaning that a G8 product is more likely to work well with G9 than a G9 product is to work well with G8. Products like morphs, geoshells and materials won't work directly, although there are ways to adapt some of them to G9. Clothes, on the other hand, seem to autofit well to G9.

I'm still on G8 myself, because I can't afford to invest very much into G9, and also haven't spent enough time with G9 to see how much I like working with it.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

Why should using G9 mean you have to drop G8 (or any other generation) entirely? It's not like G8 will stop working once you install G9...

If you want to use G9 I would suggest progressively building your G9 library (starting with free stuff) and including it in some of your work. Take advantages of big sales to get good deals on the basics.

It may or may not become your main figure after some time.

• MaxWell It's up to you to decide which Genesis figures you like to work with.

I got a bit of every generation, Genesis 1, 2, 3, 8 and 9.

I am using G9 because I like it the characters, but it does not mean the previous generations are no good; so take your time and you can build your library.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,897
    edited September 5

Everybody has to decide what makes the most sense for themselves. I only use G8.1 and content that is compatible with G8.1. That includes some G9 content (auto-fit, conversions). But there's lots of content that looks real good but I will not buy it because it's not compatible with G8.1.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • (1) I use multiple generations of models, and have since Genesis (One).  

(2) I don't know why people stop using previous generations. I suspect it's an irrational belief that because the integer after the name of the product has changed, previously released items are somehow unusably obsolete.  There is a big difference between being technically obsolete (clearly inferior and more difficult to work with) and being deprecated or just obsolescent from a marketing perspective.

(3) I think relatively new users would find content from Genesis 3 easiest to use: Pre-dForce, but with Iray materials.  The content is quite cheap now.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229

G9 is *a lot* more complicated. Try doing some ballet or martial arts poses and expressions from scratch. Just saying!