Getting rid of expressions from installed products

Was going around my installed products and trying to do a bit of cleanup. Getting rid of figures I wont ever use, etc. Trying to also get some faster load times.

Now I am a big fan of pose packs, but noticed quite a few of them come with expressions. Expressions I don't really care about.

As far as I understand morphs cause slower figure loading and dialed expressions would fit into this category? Wondering if I just go and manually delete those expressions could this cause any issues beside maybe an error I can ignore when some pose tries to use it?

Another idea I had, was to run 8->9 and then 9->8 converter on the poses I want to keep. I don't believe these convert expressions and then I could just uninstall the actual products. Plus converted poses for G9 can always come in handy.

Comments

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,519

Tomhip said:

As far as I understand morphs cause slower figure loading and dialed expressions would fit into this category? Wondering if I just go and manually delete those expressions could this cause any issues beside maybe an error I can ignore when some pose tries to use it?

Dialled Expressions are not specifically morphs, but yes, their property links do slow loading. Removing any you don't need is fine, and I don't think it'll even throw an error when you apply a pose preset that tries to use it. (It'll just go "well, can't find that, move on").

I've done exactly this with a lot of expressions added by pose packs; I have some established expression sets I use a lot, and everything more than that (particularly things with unhelpful names like "Smile 4") I rip out to speed loading times.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,905

Expressions are absolutely one of the greatest culprits of slow-down, something that's made doubly annoying due to the fact that so many are completely redundant and yet are shoved into your runtime while loading poses.  In my experience, I can get 98% of what I need just from the basic expression/visene morphs that come for the base figure plus SimonWM's face expression/aniblocks set for the same figure, maybe a few specialty sets, and the smile morphs that come with BlueJantute's figures... the rest tend to end up becoming little more than virtual boat-anchors.