What is this, "Volume Blackbody Emission"?

What is this, "Volume Blackbody Emission"?

Comments

• I can't say for certain without more context, but that term looks like it ought to be for making a volumetric object glow as if hot. In physics, "blackbody" refers to something that doesn't reflect light, so any light coming from it is produced by its own heat. (The sun is a blackbody. The moon is not.)

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,377

I think you are correct.  I did a little search and the example used was an explosion. Without using volume blackbody emission, the explosion would have a very bright glowing opaque mass in the center of the explosion; with it, the explosion could have a bright void that illuminates the outer layers without having the core becoming opaque.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282
    edited September 18

What I am thinking is like the black body that would lie in the center of a mirage maybe? Sweltering heat off a desert surface?

Post edited by RexRed on
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282

How is this different from a VDB?

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,377

RexRed said:

How is this different from a VDB?

A VDB is an object like a mesh while the black body emission is an attribute of that object like opacity or color.. Imagine if you wanted to make a flame.. The flame would glow and have opacity that ranged from complete opacity in the center of the flame to almost complete transparency.  Even the transparent portion of the flame is giving off light as would a luminous gas.