How is it that searching in Daz is still so stupid?

ExitofExitof Posts: 50
edited September 18 in The Commons

It should have been obvious through context, but this is concerning searching with the the "Smart Content" tab in Daz3d.

---

It's really annoying to search through thousands of items and having to use the EXACT phase. Want a phone? Best enter "smartphone" and not "phone." Want to search for Jonathan 8? Best remember that it's not "Johnathan." Good luck remembering how to spell "Angharad."

Partial searches sort of works when in the "Products" side, rather than the "Files" side, but that assumes that the item you are looking for is within the title of the product name. Searching for "shirt" under "Products" returns 7 products, but in the Wardrobe -> Shirts category, there are 284 products and under "Files" there are 365 items.

"Smart Content" I think not.

There aren't even filters for Genesis version, so I've in the past tagged all the hair products I have so that I can easily find one that matches the version. It's a laborious process doing this, and it should be baked in.

Dealing with the nonsense of "Explore Add-Ons" being annoying forgetful is also fun. Find the figure, right-click "Explore Add-Ons," expand "Wardrobe," expand "Footwear," add footwear, right-click "Explore Add-Ons" for the footwear, select a material, click back, and start all over again from the start to add each clothing item, hair, poses, and assesories.

Post edited by Exitof on

Comments

• So you mean Daz Studio, not Daz (website)? Either way you might care to remember the phrase about the most effective way to catch flies.

Have you looked at http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/smart_content/advanced_filtering/start ?

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 950

There are some issues with searching the store, though. At least for me. As an example, I was searching for a cryo/stasis pod or chamber, and when I entered the word cryo I got no results. Same with the word stasis. Cryo stasis did return results, but it missed items that I know are in the store. I've even tested the search by searching for items that I own by entering the exact product name and only then have I had success. I've even had similar issues when I try to search on a PA name.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,866

Exact product names are avoided (voided?) by the store search. But exact product name in Daz Studio Products needs no search, as you can go directly to the item.

• ExitofExitof Posts: 50

xyer0 said:

But exact product name in Daz Studio Products needs no search, as you can go directly to the item.

You mean I can *directly* scroll through thousands of items to try and find all handbags?

It's not direct. The search should allow partial entries.

• It just works.

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 326

Sadly when it comes to some things like UI and search features it feels like DAZ is a slightly behind the curve.

Part of the problem si that new features are probably only considered for the DAZ 5 which is being developed. But also alot of things that should be a standard features are instead sold as products... *cough* ManFriday *cough*

Many times I faced issues when I could not find a product I very well knew I have installed only to do a search on the web store to find exact name. Tons of products also suffer from the "Lost and found" affliction.

• ExitofExitof Posts: 50

Tomhip said:

Sadly when it comes to some things like UI and search features it feels like DAZ is a slightly behind the curve.

Part of the problem si that new features are probably only considered for the DAZ 5 which is being developed. But also alot of things that should be a standard features are instead sold as products... *cough* ManFriday *cough*

Many times I faced issues when I could not find a product I very well knew I have installed only to do a search on the web store to find exact name. Tons of products also suffer from the "Lost and found" affliction.

That maybe be a large part of it, if they are developing a new major version and not concerning themselves with the shortcomings that exist still. But the point remains that these UI issues have been there for the 8 years I've been buying Daz content.

But you bring up one major point that I also take umbrage with, why should we have to buy special convertors to convert between Genesis versions? That seems like it should be built in to Daz.

Today, I actually fixed two chevybabe25 hair products as I thought I was missing the Genesis 8 versions, but they were in the 1000+ items in Lost and Found. The vast majority seems to be older content, all the V4/M4 stuff, but also some materials. I get that there are a ton of old products that aren't going to be updated, yet they still sell them for relatively high prices when not on sale.

I do appreciate the depth that Daz has, though. I've created some custom products which I've not released as a PA, and it's kind of a cool ecosystem. I just find that actually trying to do anything productive in Daz is hard to accomplish between the frequent crashes, the unoptimized content, the slowness of everything from importing assets, and the bugs.

• Daz does provide converters, from older figues to new, the PAs may supply better ones (for some purpoes) or backward-facing ones. Daz cannot be expected to provide every tool for every situation, they do provide the tools to make the tools however.

Lost and Found is to with categorisation 9and the content bulk-transferred from Renderosity was not categorised) - it has nothing to do with the original comments in this thread.

Most of the things we have seen added to recent versions of Daz Studio are already things made for the enxt version - where possible daz is putting the features into DS 4 rather than holding them back for DS 5. Unless search changes depeended on the Qt version they could, and prebably would, be in this branch (and, indeed, see the change log).

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229
    edited 5:46AM

Exitof said:

...the point remains that these UI issues have been there for the 8 years I've been buying Daz content.

A question for the Ages!

Exitof said:

...I do appreciate the depth that Daz has... it's kind of a cool ecosystem.

smiley

Post edited by Roman_K2 at