DS 4.22 - A good thing...

My library has grown so large over the two decades I've been using Poser, and more recently, DS, that scenes with migh morph count figures could take 10 minutes to load. With 4.22 that load time has been decreased DRAMATICALLY!

I don't know what you guys did, but I like it!

Comments

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,774

are your renders faster?

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 393

daveso said:

are your renders faster?

Hard to say. Don't think so. But loading a new G8 into a scene was laborious. Now it's much more reasonable. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,866

Yes, the latest 4.22.0.19 is fast - about 1:45 minutes for the base G8F to load, with 629 G8F characters installed.  At some point in the past it took over 5 minutes on my system. 

Unfortunately I seem to be stuck with the 552.22 NVidia driver, newer versions causes BSOD on reboot, despite they seem to be compatible with my GTX 1070 on the NVidia site.  Maybe my system is too old (CPU 15+ years). 

Still, a plain G8F base full figure renders in about 20 seconds with default render settings, not sure if that is fast.  Tried the current benchmark scene, took 13 minutes 7.81 seconds with the GTX 1070.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,774

Taoz said:

Yes, the latest 4.22.0.19 is fast - about 1:45 minutes for the base G8F to load, with 629 G8F characters installed.  At some point in the past it took over 5 minutes on my system. 

Unfortunately I seem to be stuck with the 552.22 NVidia driver, newer versions causes BSOD on reboot, despite they seem to be compatible with my GTX 1070 on the NVidia site.  Maybe my system is too old (CPU 15+ years). 

Still, a plain G8F base full figure renders in about 20 seconds with default render settings, not sure if that is fast.  Tried the current benchmark scene, took 13 minutes 7.81 seconds with the GTX 1070.

I think thats pretty fast for G8F. My 4080 is is really fast 2.77 seconds, but it should be. Ultrascenery though, is dog slow. Also some particular hairs or lighting is very slow. I do a lot of portriat type work just because its possible to mess around and try things pretty quickly.  

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,165
    edited 12:17AM

Optimization for fast loading of figure assets has been since DS 4.21 IIRC, no other relevant improvements has been done in 4.22... so far.

As for rendering, it's hard to tell...even if with Render Quality Enable - On, with the latest Nvidia Driver, it should be slower than previous DS versions ~~

Well, something are getting faster, something are getting slower... e.g. with the latest DS GR / PB, you will find creating / deleting Cameras / Lights is much slower than older versions... loading Wearables onto Figures is slower as well, yada yada ~~ even with my robust PC...

Post edited by crosswind at

crosswind said:

Optimization for fast loading of figure assets has been since DS 4.21 IIRC, no other relevant improvements has been done in 4.22... so far.

That wasn't my experience. Once I installed 4.22, it was night and day. Perhaps a sub-version of 4.21 had that capability, and I hadn't gotten that version. 

Steel Rat said:

crosswind said:

That wasn't my experience. Once I installed 4.22, it was night and day. Perhaps a sub-version of 4.21 had that capability, and I hadn't gotten that version. 

I remembered wrongly. The improvement had been done before 4.22.0.x GR was released on Feb. this year.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,866

crosswind said:

Could be, I may just not have noticed before - I use to do something else while loading G8F as it used to take so long.  I haven't measured the loading time either, for a long time.

Taoz said:

crosswind said:

Could be, I may just not have noticed before - I use to do something else while loading G8F as it used to take so long.  I haven't measured the loading time either, for a long time.

Me neither ~~ but it is truely faster than before, haha ~  at least 50%+ faster. 

crosswind said:

Me neither ~~ but it is truely faster than before, haha ~  at least 50%+ faster. 

For me it's about 500% faster. Seriously. 

Steel Rat said:

crosswind said:

For me it's about 500% faster. Seriously. 

Understood ~ I used to use Turbo Loader, so I didn't feel that fast... haha ~~

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

500%? I don't notice it being that much faster, but it is faster.

What I would like added to DAZ Studio is that in Smart Content there are different sort order filters by order ID, date ordered, date installed, and so on, I would like an option added so that we could tag a product with a number we assign and then sort by that number. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,279

A couple of relevant cghangelog entries (remember that 4.21.1.x turned into 4.22.0, just as 4.22.1.x will most likely enventually turn into 4.23.0.x

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_22_0_19#4_21_1_33
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_22_0_19#4_21_1_36

Thanks Richard.