Hexagon manual: what's with the videos?

(Early 2016)

In my day-to-day copy of Win7 here, the manual for Hexagon opens in Adobe Reader, which seems to allow only Windows Media Player, pretty much, as the default player for the videos. As you may know, the videos are done in Quick Time, which many versions of WMP won't play. The related dialog box in Adobe Reader doesn't seem to allow me to type in the location of a different media player such as VLC Player.

This is a first-time experience for me, eg. to try and adjust Adobe Reader. Are there any workarounds that come to mind, or do I just open each video separately, in VLC player, as the need arises?

Also, what is with the realfasttalkingFrench, in the videos? Did I accidentally D/L the wrong version I wonder.

wont-let-me-change-video-player.jpg
1024 x 715 - 166K

Comments

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    edited February 2016
    You could try media player classic with cccp codec pak. I use it to play most vid and audio on my pc. Qt and or .mov files just blow in my opinion. MPC home cinema doesnt handle mpg mpeg or flash as good as mpc regular. Let me know if you cant find the regular mpc player,i think i got both versions. both handle mkv well. I should ad im usimg win xp pri on 32bit pc
    Post edited by A3DLover on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229

Hmmm. OTTOMH, I have an old media player from XP or Win98, would that be the one? It won't run on Win7, but I keep it around on my Thinkpad with XP because of the smaller size on the screen, and some nicer controls - like pressing spacebar stops video playback. I've never played around with additional codecs though.

FYI, all the videos are on YouTube...

Oh yeah... I have seen the HTML manual(s) before, but not the Hexagon one, I don't think. Not sure if the PDF one "points to" the HTML one, so thanks. My first stop was the page about text being on a curved line!

Hmmm... the YouTube clips that I saw appear to be in French.

I guess the thing with having standalone video files that can be called by your PDF application -- and there ought to be a mention of the, uh, French part -- is for those times when there's a power failure or you're not connected to the cloud... similar problem as with "DAZ Connect" eg. you aren't/don't want to be always "connected".

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited March 2016

Which YouTube video is in French?  All the ones I watched were in English.

Post edited by LegalizeAdulthood on
  • I much prefer the ones by CG-Dreams and GeekAtPlay, I've always prefered the project based tutorials over how the tools work.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Which YouTube video is in French?  All the ones I watched were in English.

I think he is referring to the embedded videos in the manual - short 30-second or so explanations.  We used to have the English version, but somehow they vanished with the last version of Hex.

I believe they are available somewhere, if you search the tutorial thread, but not really worthwhile. 

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited March 2016

Well, that was why I pointed out that they are on YouTube (and followup poster said YouTube, not manual).  All the ones I've seen on YouTube are in English and they are linked directly from the docuwiki pages, so I find that much easier to use than fussing around with the PDF and trying to find a QuickTime player.

Post edited by LegalizeAdulthood on
    Sounds like

I much prefer the ones by CG-Dreams and GeekAtPlay, I've always prefered the project based tutorials over how the tools work.

I agree with that Gary Miller is good tutor on various apps. Havent watched alot of cg dreams works tuts. Btw anyone know if you can still dl utube vids with firefox plugin "download helper"?
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Btw anyone know if you can still dl utube vids with firefox plugin "download helper"?

Don't know, don't use Firefox...YTD video downloader (free) downloads from several sites, including YouTube and Vimeo  http://ytd-video-downloader-free.en.softonic.com/download ;

Ooh that softonic site makes my phone very nervous plus lotsa adverts. Seems like the web is nothing but intrusive and obtrusive adverts if you access by droid

All the ones I've seen on YouTube are in English... I find that much easier to use than fussing around with the PDF and trying to find a QuickTime player.

Sure, I agree. I was just surprised is all. Plus the French-speaking guy is talking VERY fast! frown

One of these days I'm going to re-record some of those clips, explaining things MY WAY and talking REAL SLOW! smiley

• Roman_K2 said:

All the ones I've seen on YouTube are in English... I find that much easier to use than fussing around with the PDF and trying to find a QuickTime player.

Sure, I agree. I was just surprised is all. Plus the French-speaking guy is talking VERY fast! frown

Again, I ask you, which videos on YouTube are in French?!?  Hint: You won't get to them by clicking the pictures in the PDF.