Just Your Average Coffee Table

So, yeah, nothing wow-worthy here.  Just a coffee table.  Except the real-life version I used as a reference image costs $1900US.  I figured Victoria was worthy of a such a table, so I modeled it.

Drawers on either side can open/close.  Textures/shaders for Iray included.  Free to do with as you please.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/84072/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Modern-Distressed-Coffee-Table#

Coffee Table-2.png
1204 x 860 - 2M

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Gee...see my sig...

Looks like it's made from old barn boards or some other 'reclaimed' lumber.

Nice work on the virtual copy, but I can whip a real one up for a lot less than $1900...

• No kidding.  Granted, the real version had a nice birch veneer on it, but I didn't have any usable textures for that, so I went with the "rustic" look instead.  My wife saw the price tag of the original and said there's no way that's ever coming in our house.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

$1900US??? Maybe if it was made out of walnut. Or maybe we're just all getting old.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958
    edited March 2016

Maybe it had a gateway to Narnia in it...

(Though, personally, that price sounds about right for a well-made, solidly constructed wood table.)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • KurzonDaxKurzonDax Posts: 228

We have places near where I live in Tennessee that cater to the upper echelon of the music industry.  I could very well see that sort of price on something of theirs.  

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

I would like such a table in my aparment....or a visible floor to put it on.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

KurzonDax thank you and don't sell yourself short, it's semi wow worthy, nice modeling and texturing. Cheers

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Nice job.

SixDs said:

$1900US??? Maybe if it was made out of walnut. Or maybe we're just all getting old.

Walnut isn't THAT expensive...mahogany or teak, maybe.   Or if it is...then I need to cut down a few trees...

Hardwood lumber prices vary over time, of course, and also in accordance with sawn lumber sizes, but generally black walnut (not butternut) runs about the same price as true mahogany. Teak, on the other hand, is definitely in the ozone.

Well, then I guess it's time to fire up the old chain saw...I've got quite a few 20"++ black walnut trees here.  Looks like one of them will get me a new render box. laugh

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    mjc1016 said:

Well, then I guess it's time to fire up the old chain saw...I've got quite a few 20"++ black walnut trees here.  Looks like one of them will get me a new render box. laugh

LOL

Don't forget to plant replacements for what you cut down. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    mjc1016 said:

I will PM, you in Skype MJ.  Himself is (or was) a Tree surgeon, can give you some advice.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

Well, it's not the materials so much as the time and effort. I literally can't make a table like that because I live in a small(ish) apartment, and, well. ;)

(And even when I did own a house, I didn't have all the equipment)

The equipment is the tough part for me.  I have a hard time justifying buying a decent planer, table saw, etc. to build maybe a couple pieces of furniture.  Especially when there's software and hardware I can spend that money on.

However, if I could just figure out where mjc lives, and sneak on to his property one night and fell one of those walnut trees without him noticing....

KurzonDax said:

The equipment is the tough part for me.  I have a hard time justifying buying a decent planer, table saw, etc. to build maybe a couple pieces of furniture.  Especially when there's software and hardware I can spend that money on.

However, if I could just figure out where mjc lives, and sneak on to his property one night and fell one of those walnut trees without him noticing....

In the middle of nowhere...but I do have dogs...and they'll be fine, until you go to leave.

Do they like treats?  Lol 

Yeah...chainsaw totin' trespassers...cheeky

I don't know whether you're being serious or not, mjc, but just in case, you will want to check out potential buyers before doing any cutting - you might get more for peelers than sawlogs.