Can't extend roof to form overhang

I'm new to Hexegon, have always used models available on the web. So this is totally got me confused...any help would be appreciated.

I am trying to build a building face for a VUE scene, I have the face, with the roof created using the sweep surfaces tool, as shown in the Geekatplay Hexagon projects, set one.tutorials, #6 video Modeling Windows part three.

See attached imaage for more.

The problem seems  to be that I can't get the "gizmo" he shows to extend the roof line down and outward to add the additional length of the roof sides.

Actually, in all the work I have done on this model, following the videos - i usually did not see this "gizmo" appear. Is there a setting that I need to work on to see this?

Hex-scrn.jpg
1932 x 1068 - 451K

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Hi and welcome to the forum:)

See that funny ghost looking icon in the top left corner of the screen that is greyed out?  That is the universal manipulator you are looking for - click on it and it will appear.

As fpr ectending the roof - difficult to say without seeing a wireframe of your model.  At a guess, I'd say select the edge of the face you want to extend, hold down Ctrl and drag on the arrowhead facing the direction you want it to go.  You may need to set the orientation from "world" to "local: to get the arrow to face in the right direction.

• OrcaSoulOrcaSoul Posts: 119

OK, thanks - I realised I can create a roof from 2 forms, set the length for the overhang and match the other demensions - was actually easier.

But...I had assumed that the peak was at 90 degrees (because the bottom and height were both 12 feet. didn't quite fit, the angle is off.

So, I can rebuild the wall to get the perfect angle - or find the angle of the peak and use that to fit the custom roof to the wall.

Can I do this in Hex? Dose the program have a way to showthe angle in degrees? It would also be great to be able to sho the distance between two points.

I don't see this in Hex, am I missing it or is it just not included?

Also - how do I set this forum to let me know there is a response?

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

No, Hex cannot show the angle in degrees nor show the length of a line - it is not a CAD application.  However, there is a methods of working this out.  If you draw a straight horizontal or vertical polyline, you can calculate and set its length by reading off and setting the position of the end points in the properties box.  You can rotate it a precise angle by setting the rotation in the properties box.

The forum is set to automatically notify you of responses - doesn't always work, though.

OK, thanks again. I'll try the polyline (as soon as I find it in the videos I am watching).laugh

And yeah, so far it doesn't seem to work...That's OK, gives me a reason to visit the forum! cool...

I think it is fixed. For some reason the roof was very slightl twisted, to the lines weren't lining up correctly.

Took some gentle nudging and t looks pretty close - close enough for this project, it'll mostly be covered by trees anywy.

Thanks for the help - I managed to learn something today! laugh

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited March 2016

OrcaSoul, this is just a guess but I think things looked slightly twisted because you where using the wrong projection (it is a bit of trial & error sometimes) mode - the "World" and "Selection" options Roygee mentioned.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on

Yeah - I am finding that perspective/projection can be a problem...especially when learning how to work with a new program...LOL...

Anyway, I think this problem is solved.

Thanks.

• It can be tricky OrcaSoul, you may find it easier to have more than one view window open until you get your eye in. The Geek at Play tutorials are the best way to go I think, obviously you if you have any questions the users here are very friendly :)