how do i turn off the lines?

I'm playing with the smoothing brush but I see the wirefram line grid all over the model. No textures, just learing the tools. But the smoothing brush is good, just it is hard to see what it is doing with all the lines from the wireframe. Does it make sense what I am asking? I know if I deselect the model the lines go away, I want to have the model selected with no lines so I can see better what the smoothing brush is doing.

Thanks for reading, please help.

Comments

• correction, Soften Tool not smoothing brush

also playing with the Displacement Brush, and Inflate Tool

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2016

Its the wire-frame bit which has me stumped, when you say wire frame do you mean (see pic) 1 or 2. If you mean example 1, then that is how it is meant to be, at least that is how it has always worked for me. If it is No2 then I think I'm stumped, all I can think of is you may have added to much smoothing (in the properties panel) and Hex cannot handle it (too much memory for it).

wires.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 196K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Yes like number 1 I want to turn off all the lines so I can see what the soften tool is doing. Would be handy for sculpting morphs on human characters.
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2016

I think it needs to be that way so you can see what you are doing, but I will have a look in the preferences and see if I can find a way to turn the lines off.

Had a look, there is a work around, go to - Edit, Preferences Editor, 3D Display, Selection - Then change the Selected Edge colour to the same as your object.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited April 2016

thank you

you know, if someone was clever enough they could use that area you just directed me to and use it to make hexagon look just like zbrush

Post edited by Type 0 Negative on
  • One thing I have done is to use the Short Cut editor with Hexagon and Daz Studio so they both work the same, when you get to my age you need all the help you can get. 

• One thing I have done is to use the Short Cut editor with Hexagon and Daz Studio so they both work the same, when you get to my age you need all the help you can get. 

I like how Hexagon lets you Alt right click Alt Left click to move your view around. I wish DazStudio did that. But you have me curious, I would like to hear more about what you chaged with the Short Cut editor.

• Just the basics, the view options and the short cut icons which control the Hex/DS bridge.

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215

On hiding edges:

One thing you can do is to simply change the display type at the bottom of the screen. (The different wired/solid orbs, next to the "light" orb thingie.) In Hexagon, whenever you have an object selected, the mesh is displayed. But, if it's unselected, the mesh is displayed at the default style, wire/solid, etc.. So, when working on a model, it's sometimes helpful to just stop for a sec, deselect the model, then view it in different display types, changing lighting as desired, moving the camera around, etc. (No, sorry, this recommendation doesn't deal with hiding edges while sculpting. However, it is very important to know where edges and vertices are while sculpting, since the various scultping tools only ever effect vertices. Which, of course, make sense, since if one didn't, the tool wouldn't do anything at all. :) )

One fault of Hex is, in fact, its display/real-time rendering. It can be very, very, difficult to see certain issues and details properly, so I feel your pain. This is most true, in my experience, when you're trying to use the various sculpting tools. For me, it's when creating custom morphs for characters that mimic "real life" people. To combat this, I frequently export to another renderer, like Poser, and take a look at it, there. Poser's real-time uses OpenGL for its default, which works fine. But, Hex's renderer is antiquated, even though it can use some OpenGL stuffs.

• Thanks for you input Morkonan, I thought T.O.N. had the wrong display type aswell, so I posted the screen grab to make sure we where on the same page.  I would not recommend turning the lines off because I find them useful for gauging what I have done with the brushes. And like you stated, moving around the object is a must as well.