Lashes and brows, attached or not

So I am working on a figure, and I am at the point of making eyelashes and eyebrows.

For the eyelashes, I suppose the best option is to make them from the same mesh as the head (i.e. "pull" out and extrude the mesh from the eyelids), and give that a seperate shading domain.

For the brows...I was thiking the best is to make them as seperate meshes.

Here is my questions:

1. Is that the best/standard practice for eyelashes?
  2. For brows, is that the best/standard method?
    1. If they are seperate meshes, is there a trick to get them to move with the head, if it morphs its shape?

I figure best to ask the experts before diving in!  :)

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,219

Most eyelashes are separate meshes, same with the different parts of the eye.  Depending on how you plan to work with the brows, you may or may not need separate geometry.  You can see on the Daz figures they do not have separate brow meshes.  One reason for this is that you are limiting the brow in how you make the separate meshes.  Most are done with displacment, normals, textures; some use fibermesh such as the kind you can make in Zbrush.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471

Thanks Chris!  So for the eyelashes, is there a trick to get them to move with the eyelid?  (assuming the eyelids are not rigged, but morphed...as rigged eyelids is way beyond me)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    3dOutlaw said:

Thanks Chris!  So for the eyelashes, is there a trick to get them to move with the eyelid?  (assuming the eyelids are not rigged, but morphed...as rigged eyelids is way beyond me)

For morphing eyelids, I suppose just extending the edges to make the lashes should work, but probably isn't the best way of doing it.