Source of cool free scans of statues

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958
edited May 2016 in Freebies

Holy poot.

http://threedscans.com/

REALLY nice, really high quality scans. Free. Well, that's a price I approve of!

Post edited by Oso3D on

Comments

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,697

Of course, they take an intermediate software to convert 'em to D|S or Poser-compatible formats.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

@ William: There is an extra 'http' in the above link. Corrected link is: http://threedscans.com/

@ Eustace: it looks like the files (at least the ones I checked) are in obj format; so, they should be importable to DS

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,853

Most seem to be .stl. I found a few .obj in random sampling.

barbult said:

OK, I only looked at a couple and they were in obj format

MeshLab is free and will convert stl files to obj: http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    barbult said:

OK, I only looked at a couple and they were in obj format

MeshLab is free and will convert stl files to obj: http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

So will Blender.

Another source of free 3D scans is here: https://www.artec3d.com/3d-models

I imported one that I found in obj format. Boy with Thorn (Spinario). It is 2,956,742 faces, all triangles, and not UV mapped as far as I can tell.

edited May 2016

I've been trying to decimate that statue for 20 minutes now, Decimator is still stuck on Preparing Nodes (Not Responding). This doesn't look good.

Edit 1: I gave up and walked away. Sometime during the hour, Decimator finished preparing nodes.Now it is stuck on trying to redouce resolution to 50%. Daz Studio is not resopnding. I'm walking away again to let it work.

Edit 2: After 15 minutes, it was done with reducing resolution. I exported the decimated obj. It still looks way too dense. I'm trying 25% LOD.

Edit 3: I tried several decimations and decided to render the 40% one. See below.

Post edited by barbult on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

Updated the link and thanks.

I've had good luck with the ones I've downloaded, working on renders. ;)

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,697

I've used Meshlab to convert half-a-dozen of the busts to OBJ, but I do wish there was an efficient way to reduce the polygon count!

edited May 2016

I've used Meshlab to convert half-a-dozen of the busts to OBJ, but I do wish there was an efficient way to reduce the polygon count!

Have you tried decimator? http://www.daz3d.com/decimator-for-daz-studio

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,591

Meshlab has a ton of options to reduce polygon count.

- Greg

I decimated Boy with Thorn in Blender down to 0.1 ratio (10%)...which is just under 300,000 faces and it still looks pretty darn good.  I think I'm going to bake out a normal map from the hi-poly version (yes, did a quick 'smart project' UV unwrapping...) and drop it a bit more.

Is there a simple way to do normals as you describe?

Can you share the UV map you made?

edited May 2016

This is the version decimated to 40% with Daz Decimator.

Precious Treasure Stashed in the Storeroom

(The HDRI used here is from hdrihaven.com. It is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY license.)

Boy with Thorn decimated to 40%.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,309

Some of the models are on ShareCG too - http://www.sharecg.com/threedscans - they claim to be in .obj format, but I haven't downloaded any yet so can't say for sure. (Maybe these are the same ones that barbult's "random sampling" found on the original site?

barbult said:

(The HDRI used here is from hdrihaven.com. It is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY license.)

This looks really good, @barbult - is that really the low-res CC-BY license version, or did you buy the full resolution one?

edited May 2016
    MelanieL said:
    barbult said:

This looks really good, @barbult - is that really the low-res CC-BY license version, or did you buy the full resolution one?

That is the 16K CC-BY version. I don't know if the high res is still free or not. I only see low res free now. When they first started, they gave away some bundles of high res CC-BY and some single high res CC-BY. The date on my downloaded zip file is February 2016. I did purchase one royalty free from them so far, but it is not this one.

Edit: I see there is still a free bundle. I'm probably not allowed to link it??? Just look on the HDRI Haven site on the Bundles tab.

edited May 2016

Here is a closer view of the Boy with Thorns with different lighting.There is a lot of detail even decimated to 40%. I'd like to see mjc1016's 10% Blender decimation. I tried 10% with Decimator, but I could see loss of detail, so I rendered the 40% one.

Boy with Thorn decimated to 40% close.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:
    barbult said:

That is the 16K CC-BY version. I don't know if the high res is still free or not. I only see low res free now. When they first started, they gave away some bundles of high res CC-BY and some single high res CC-BY. The date on my downloaded zip file is February 2016. I did purchase one royalty free from them so far, but it is not this one.

Ah, I see. I have the current free high res bundle (5 HDRIs included) but I must have been too late for that one. Thanks anyway.

MelanieL said:

Some of the models are on ShareCG too - http://www.sharecg.com/threedscans - they claim to be in .obj format, but I haven't downloaded any yet so can't say for sure. (Maybe these are the same ones that barbult's "random sampling" found on the original site?

Not all the ones on ShareCG are obj format either. A number of them say 'other' for the format and are stl.

edited May 2016

Here is the 10% one...

I took this even lower...

Down to 37,000 faces...and baked normal map.

bwt.png
    512 x 640 - 268K
    bwt10.png
    512 x 640 - 265K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

wow thank you for sharing. great find.

edited May 2016

I used a marble decal, because I don't have a UV map and I didn't like the pure color. I think he looks even better.

Boy with Thorn marble decal.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 743K
    edited May 2016

And I tried a Bronze decal.

Boy with Thorn bronze decal 2.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 923K
    edited May 2016
    MelanieL said:

Not all the ones on ShareCG are obj format either. A number of them say 'other' for the format and are stl.

Yes, I went to download a few last night and noticed this too. Sorry.

Here is the Medici-Ricciardi Horse sculpture with some of Mec4D's PBS Metals added. The first pair were the .obj as imported - they use procedural shaders Vol 2 Aged Bronze and Vol 1 Used 1.8 Bronze. The final horse I ran through UV-Mapper (free version, no adjusting - so the map isn't great) and used Vol 1 Copper base with Acid Splashes. I may take into Blender and try to improve the map. I also downloaded a few other models so plan to play with them too later.

Edit: Replaced first image with a brighter (photoshop adjusted) aged bronze as it looked really dark on this monitor compared to the one I rendered on.

M-R-Horse - V1-Acid-Splash-Copper.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 427K
    M-R-Horse - Pair.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 519K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084

awesome ... thanks Will

All the statues in this render are from the site I linked. Shaders are my new shader thing. Awesome stuff.

WTZ PROMO Statues.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1014K

All the statues in this render are from the site I linked. Shaders are my new shader thing. Awesome stuff.

That's an impressive collection, Will.