Coming Soonish - Metamorph

MythconsMythcons Posts: 123
edited November 2016 in Freebies

I've been working on a figure I'm calling 'Metamorph'. Starts out male, but is effectively gender neutral (ala the original Genesis). It uses a rigging system similar to Genesis 3, and will be compatible with most Genesis 3 content. Testing out projection templates now, and I'm having good success. The character is based on the Adobe Fuse (Mixamo) geometry. I hope to have a working version available on ShareCG this month. The model is designed to be game ready, and hence has a significantly less polygon count than the Genesis series.

Metamorph02.png
585 x 851 - 276K
Post edited by Mythcons on

Comments

• Does the Fuse mesh allow redistribution?

• MythconsMythcons Posts: 123

Does the Fuse mesh allow redistribution?

Hello Richard,

Yes, the mesh is entirely free and redistributable, and can be used for commercial and non-commercial purposes. It is actually intended for game use and can be edited at the user's discretion.

Doing a few tests. The figure morphs and deforms surprisingly well for having zero JCMs so far.

Metamorph03.png
    654 x 851 - 315K
    Metamorph04.png
    654 x 851 - 334K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

very good

• Sorry, I missed the comment on projection templates earlier - you do realise that the shapes of the Daz figures are protected, you can't (without prior permission) have Genesis # clones for your figure.

• Sorry, I missed the comment on projection templates earlier - you do realise that the shapes of the Daz figures are protected, you can't (without prior permission) have Genesis # clones for your figure.

Really?  Why?

Really?  Why?

Because they are Daz-owned shapes, and they don't obey the EULA (they remove rathr than require the need to own the base figure), so dsitributing a clone shape is not permitted by default.

Sorry, I missed the comment on projection templates earlier - you do realise that the shapes of the Daz figures are protected, you can't (without prior permission) have Genesis # clones for your figure.

I don't use Daz figure shapes for my projection templates. There is absolutely zero EULA breach that I'm aware of. I'll even give the files to Daz for them to comb over, if they want.

For reference sake, my character stands in approximately the same space and proportions as Genesis 3 Male. This is not by my design, but simpy the fact of human anatomy. The Fuse character is slightly shorter. I created a body suit based on Fuse (Malefit A) to use as my projection template, created a morph that compensated for any space difference (without using any part Genesis), then copied the data to the DSF file. I did not project any geometry from any Daz product.

Here is the Metamorph figure wearing Genesis 3 Male pants. Not perfect, yet, but getting close.

Metamorph05.png
    755 x 851 - 252K

So then can Fuse clothing then be imported onto this character easy enough then fit to work with this DAZ character?

So then can Fuse clothing then be imported onto this character easy enough then fit to work with this DAZ character?

Yes. For optimal results, export the clothes with Male Fit A, since I'm using that morph as the base. Daz's Autofit will align the clothes with little need to tweak it.

It is also possible to export the character back into Fuse, but there's a known error that crashes the process unless you go through a number of steps (my standard method: Mesh Cleanup in Maya, then Mesh Cleanup in Blender).

I exported this set of clothing/hair from Fuse to Daz in about 15 minutes.

Metamorph06.png
    801 x 851 - 271K

Thanks.

• I'm not clear on what you are doing, but if you are matching the Genesis 3 male (or other) shape in some way then you are using that shape, even if you aren't doing it as directly as shrink-wrapping your mesh to the Daz mesh.

Really?  Why?

Because they are Daz-owned shapes, and they don't obey the EULA (they remove rather than require the need to own the base figure), so distributing a clone shape is not permitted by default.

That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for the explanation!

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515
    edited November 2016

Also not sure on the mesh license in this case  https://community.mixamo.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/206646217-Licensing-Royalties-Ownership-EULA-TOS-Open-Q-A -copy and paste this the forum keeps deleting the : bit

I would look at makehuman for less restrictive license than Adobe's- but its rig from scratch. Also the base Antonia Polygon figure which is cc0 license, already rigged and would just need your morphs and projection templates -you could actually release your own distinct version without restriction ..metamorphia

Post edited by DigiDotz on

I'm not clear on what you are doing, but if you are matching the Genesis 3 male (or other) shape in some way then you are using that shape, even if you aren't doing it as directly as shrink-wrapping your mesh to the Daz mesh.

Thankfully, I'm not doing that. You are free to send me whatever legal documents you feel are appropriate at mythcons@outlook.com.

@DigiDotz: I looked at it and asked the appropriate questions to my contact at Adobe. I am using the mesh within the bounds of the EULA.

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515

Then I look forward to this as I have fuse ;-)

I may not use a direct-to-Genesis 3 template to project clothes, but only because of a lack of technical know-how and not for any legal reasons.

I'm using R3DS Wrap to project some scanned meshes and textures to Fuse, and it's looking great. Will post some screenshots shortly.

• Mythcons said:

I'm not clear on what you are doing, but if you are matching the Genesis 3 male (or other) shape in some way then you are using that shape, even if you aren't doing it as directly as shrink-wrapping your mesh to the Daz mesh.

Thankfully, I'm not doing that. You are free to send me whatever legal documents you feel are appropriate at mythcons@outlook.com.

@DigiDotz: I looked at it and asked the appropriate questions to my contact at Adobe. I am using the mesh within the bounds of the EULA.

Any way of matching the G3M shape is, by definition, matching the G3M shape and therefore not allowed under the EULA - even if you do not work from the base figure at all you are working from content that does, otherwise it wouldn't be possible.

• Mythcons said:

Any way of matching the G3M shape is, by definition, matching the G3M shape and therefore not allowed under the EULA - even if you do not work from the base figure at all you are working from content that does, otherwise it wouldn't be possible.

i think he's making his own figure that's like the Genesis 3 shape, but it's a separate figure that has the universal mesh that the Genesis 1 figure has.

Mythcons said:

So I assume that peope who release free clothing are violating the EULA. Because I was using free clothing -- in fact, clothing released on this very form -- to adjust my mesh to the difference. I also assume that the morphs I've created at ShareCG violate the EULA.

Say the word and I'll delete them.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

The morphs for the Genesis line are fine...it's the 'clone' for a mesh that is not Genesis that is where the problem lies. 

Basically what it boils down to is you can make all you want for Genesis, but you can't make non-Genesis figures compatible, through autofit clones, with Genesis (1, 2 and 3) items. 

mjc1016 said:

The morphs for the Genesis line are fine...it's the 'clone' for a mesh that is not Genesis that is where the problem lies. 

Basically what it boils down to is you can make all you want for Genesis, but you can't make non-Genesis figures compatible, through autofit clones, with Genesis (1, 2 and 3) items. 

So I cannot make a figure that is even accidentally compatible with Genesis items by virtue of A) Being humanoid and B) By virtue of the software.

Does Poser have the same restrictions? I bought a license on sale, but haven't used it much.

edited November 2016

It's not the software...it's the figures.  And yes, the base Poser figures have all sorts of restrictions, too.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    mjc1016 said:

It's not the software...it's the figures.  And yes, the base Poser figures have all sorts of restrictions, too.

The Fuse figure occupies almost the exact same space as Genesis. Genesis clothing fits with little effort. I didn't design it like that. The autofit feature is a function of the software.

Mythcons said:
    mjc1016 said:

The Fuse figure occupies almost the exact same space as Genesis. Genesis clothing fits with little effort. I didn't design it like that. The autofit feature is a function of the software.

The figures are the protected IP/have the 'need' requirement.  See Richard's post bellow...

Sorry, I missed the comment on projection templates earlier - you do realise that the shapes of the Daz figures are protected, you can't (without prior permission) have Genesis # clones for your figure.

Really?  Why?

Because they are Daz-owned shapes, and they don't obey the EULA (they remove rathr than require the need to own the base figure), so dsitributing a clone shape is not permitted by default.

• so what you're saying is you can't make a figure in DAZ Studio that directly competes with the Genesis figure line.

I do understand the Intellectual Property concerns, I truly do. I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just worried that all those character-creating tools which drew me to Daz Studio are effectively a waste. I don't want to step anyone's toes, I simply enjoy creating freebies in my spare time. Seems like Richard (who I know is just doing his job) is using every avenue to shut me down.