4x4x4 Lattice deformer in Daz Studio -- pre-release / Beta / Unfinished PC/Win x32 / x64 version av

Comments

• amy_aimeiamy_aimei Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Casual said:

** sneak peek **** sneak peek **** sneak peek **** sneak peek **

pre-beta for the adventurous Indiana Jones's ( or uh the Marion Ravenwood's )

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjlattice

I tried it on the sandals that I made recently. Sorry, I'm too excited about your plugin. I did not read the instructions of how to use it. First thing it happened is a crash. Then, I discovered DAZ Studio crash if I started mcjlattice without a selected item. Yes, it will crash 100% of the time, my bad, user error. (My suggestion) It will be nice to show a warning message and stop the plugin nicely.

Then, I selected the lFoot of the sandals, again my bad, the lattice form nicely around the lFoot of the sandals but it didn't work at all.

After that, I think it may work like the dFormer on the Genesis figure, i.e., only work at the figure level. Great! it works! I'm too excited again. I adjusted one of the control point, the sandals deformed too much. Then, I tried to key-in the values by changing the third digit after the decimal place only. It works well! Of course, it is hard to control like that. I'm not sure if it is something do with the Poser unit or scaling applied by DAZ Studio. As I experienced, if I export the OBJ from DAZ Studio with "Poser" is selected, the OBJ is smaller than the one exported with "DAZ Studio" is selected. Just my guess.

At the end, I think I better take a look at how it suppose to work. I think I got it, it works properly on OBJ only, am I right?

I'm really enjoy testing it. Thank you. If you need a tester, I will sign-up for the task.

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited April 2013

amy_aimei said:

.... DAZ Studio crash if I started mcjlattice without a selected item ...
    ... only work at the figure level. ...

... it, it works properly on OBJ only, am I right? ...

I'm really enjoy testing it. Thank you. If you need a tester, I will sign-up for the task.

the plugin was not really ready to be released ,

eventually i'll get around to preventing crashes due to not selecting a node

for now it works best on an object that is not moved rotated or scaled from its initial position

i want to have it work for everything, including selected bones of a figure, even if the figure is not in a zero pose

... moderately soon

the first update will probably be a version that can optionally deform only the part of the object that is inside the cage ( or inside a separate cube or sphere volume )

for now if you move the object outside the box, the object still gets deformed

i'll probably also give the option of deforming only surfaces textured with a given material

( for an advanced version i could even have texture images modulate the "weights" of the deformation )

--- for this pre-pre release version it's better to work on imported .objs and primitives that are not moved rotated or scale ( though just moving the object may give predictable results )

if you subscribe to this forum thread you'll see when i post updates , corrections, and the final release

accommodate.gif
    640 x 480 - 56K
    Post edited by mCasual on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,504
    edited December 1969

Casual said:
    i'm tempted to do it now, the lattice deformer

though the next project is supposed to be -- updating, the mcjWarp plugin for DS4.5 use

it still works for DS 3 though https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/mcjwarp-plugin-for-ds3-pc
    ------

image below : deforming a 3x3x3 faces cube

omg i want both but i admit to wanting mcjwarp for Ds4.5 the MOST!!! Its THE ONLY REASON i still have DS3 installed... SERIOUSLY!
    pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase? :D :D :D

edited April 2013

Casual said:
    i'm tempted to do it now, the lattice deformer

though the next project is supposed to be -- updating, the mcjWarp plugin for DS4.5 use

it still works for DS 3 though https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/mcjwarp-plugin-for-ds3-pc
    ------

image below : deforming a 3x3x3 faces cube

omg i want both but i admit to wanting mcjwarp for Ds4.5 the MOST!!! Its THE ONLY REASON i still have DS3 installed... SERIOUSLY!
    pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase? :D :D :D

mcjWarp is very very close on my to-do list, some of the code for mcjLattice was borrowed from it

i may see if mcjWarp is quickly updatable to DS4.5 but i have doubts

the root node of figures in DS4.5 owns the entire figure mesh

in DS3, each bone owned the part of the mesh it controls

if i want to allow posed figures (clothes too) to be edited with mcjWarp, i have to solve that issue

and i want this feature for mcjLattice too

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,504
    edited December 1969

*starts cheering section for Casual* You can do it, yes you can! woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Casual! :D:D

edited December 1969

*starts cheering section for Casual* You can do it, yes you can! woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Casual! :D:D

something moved over there http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21044/

edited April 2013

now that mcjWarp works well ( apparently) i'll advance the mcjLattice project

here you can see we'd probably not want movements at the bottom of the lattice to influence the vertices at the top

well something else must be at play here

latt.png
    944 x 714 - 178K
    edited May 2013

on the back-burner

something i put together using wires and duct tape, while procrastinating on plunging back in mcjLattice

----

a script + a callback script + mcjCollider plugin

you "shoot" near a vertex, the script finds that vertex

and creates a null-node at the position of the vertex

from that point each time you move the null,

the vertex moves accordingly ( using a 1-vertex morph )

.... don't know when or how i'l turn this into something usable

soso.jpg
    827 x 827 - 209K
    bburner.jpg
    827 x 827 - 138K
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 737
    edited December 1969

Interesting, this could make a good sculpting tool, if its able to use as a brush that deform not just the point but the adjoining ones like soft select. However i guess since the null has to remain that could be an issue until you find a way to remove the null without snap-back.

I could see a very good application. have an object create a null point with the mouse move the mouse around that affects a soft select area near the mouse. Combine this with some of your other sculpting tools you already have (warp etc.) and your on your way.

Thanks for you continued effort in adding functions to the program we all love.

edited December 1969

Tugpsx said:
    Interesting, this could make a good sculpting tool, if its able to use as a brush that deform not just the point but the adjoining ones like soft select. However i guess since the null has to remain that could be an issue until you find a way to remove the null without snap-back.

I could see a very good application. have an object create a null point with the mouse move the mouse around that affects a soft select area near the mouse. Combine this with some of your other sculpting tools you already have (warp etc.) and your on your way.

Thanks for you continued effort in adding functions to the program we all love.

yes soft-select would be great for clothes-poke-through fixing-for instance, though it would probably need to be done by a plugin, since i need to build an inter-connection map or /neighboring map...

for single vertex tweaks, a script is fast enough. The callback's job is simple, identify the null node that was moved, it's also the vertex index, then create a 1-delta morph and add it to the figure

edited December 1969

progress report ( version not published )

here you can see a lattice being applied to a rotated object

next i want to make sure it can be applied to a posed limb of a figure/clothing item

also (even if the maths of it will be a bit puzzling ), i'd like the whole lattice/cage to be rotatable and translatable

and have the option for other lattice configurations

ex: 1x4 2x2, 3x3

stretchme.png
    1920 x 1168 - 312K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

WOW, that's really cool. Creation of morphs right in DAZ Studio. Biggest desire on my wish list!

edited December 1969

didnt work on it very long today, but here you can see a lattice-deformation limited to a single bone of a clothing figure

momorph.jpg
    1273 x 850 - 93K
    edited December 1969

Looks like it needs some more smoothing added in to make those edges smoother when the affected area is pulled or pushed.

edited May 2013

RAMWolff said:
    Looks like it needs some more smoothing added in to make those edges smoother when the affected area is pulled or pushed.

it's a temporary (exponential) artifact that wont be in the final version

weight maps and smoothing zones would be nice but i don't think i'll do too much work on this

well come to think of it i could add a basic cubic-shaped smoothing effect that would be optional

edited May 2013

worked a bit on the plugin,
    it will take a snapshot of the posed geometry each time it's refreshed
    compute the deformation based on the snapshot and the lattice/cage
    rotate the deformation in space according to the non-posed base geometry
    ( though i'm not sure that last step is needed and that puzzles me because it should )

2nd image --- repaired lattice/cage visibility

3rd image ... in just 2 operations, scale and translate, we created a morph affecting hundreds of vertices

sisis2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    sisis.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    workit.jpg
    1405 x 793 - 123K
    edited December 1969

AWESOME progress there sir. WOW..... looking forward to seeing how for your going to take this. Funny, I'm working on fit morphs in ZBrush right now for my SuperSuit. lol

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    AWESOME progress there sir. WOW..... looking forward to seeing how for your going to take this. Funny, I'm working on fit morphs in ZBrush right now for my SuperSuit. lol

hey look here a demo video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNuvajmZ6rc

edited December 1969

quick and not really dirty demo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNuvajmZ6rc

edited December 1969

Couple of questions. The list at 0.13 shows ALLOT of items added to the Scene tab. Just wondering why so much added? You clicked on just the bottom most item "lattice" to do your morph.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Couple of questions. The list at 0.13 shows ALLOT of items added to the Scene tab. Just wondering why so much added? You clicked on just the bottom most item "lattice" to do your morph.

when you create the lattice, 64 null-nodes are created, the way to deform the lattice is to grab one of those nulls and move it

i also wrote and used a script in that video, that helps me grab 4x4 a panel of nulls

it all kinda clutters the scene but on the other hand, it gives you much freedom,
    ... for example, to parent some of those null nodes to body parts or objects
    and to animate those null nodes

edited May 2013

looks like i'll have to contend with "modifier stack" issues ( meaning i'll fix it but it will take more time )

because apparently the morph produced by mcjLattice is applied very late during the re-generation of the object we see on screen

so as we move the character around and change the pose, our morph stops making sense

---

here you see an aerial view of Aiko5 wearing the Genesis/Magnus Jacket

a morph was added to a sleeve using mcjLattice

but as we move Aiko5's arm it becomes evident that the morph is not practical

---

i'll save and reload the scene to see what happens

stack.gif
    600 x 400 - 347K
    edited May 2013

here you can see i saved the scene with the problematic morph

and re-loaded it, and it changed the behavior

so during Daz Studio's saving process, the morph migrates up (or down) the modifier stack

---
    fig 2. maybe if i make it the first modifier ( maybe not though )

---

fig 3 : yay that seems to be it
    though there were some advantages to the 'old' way

fig 4 : now that the morph is applied early on, the plugin has to reverse-rotate each deformation vector
    and this image shows that the maths seem ok

DzQuat rotSubject = node->getWSRot(); //todo per bone?
     DzQuat inversedRotSubject = rotSubject.inverse();
       pt = inversedRotSubject.multVec( pt );
       morphDeltas->addDelta( i, pt.m_x, pt.m_y, pt.m_z ); 

fig 5 - shows that we can change Aiko5's pose and the jacket sleeve morph comes along for the ride

ze.jpg
    1090 x 652 - 74K
    unrol.jpg
    1084 x 614 - 111K
    t.jpg
    1080 x 609 - 88K
    pip.jpg
    419 x 80 - 9K
    garca2.gif
    480 x 480 - 115K
  • mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506

@mCasual has there been any updates on this plugin?

edited June 2016

no updates since 2013 sorry

i have a lot (big lot) of projects i started and want to complete

the top of the list is

mcjElastic - SoftBody dynamics simulator script ( breast bounces being the more popular use )

mcjNewCastle - The final version of mc Castle prop

mckKinectFacialMocap

mcjKinectMocap - for "old" Kinect 360s

my Bullet physics thing

my midi-music-to-animation thing

then somewhere around that is the lattice deformer

note that if you want to follow the progress of my different projects

you can see it all here 

http://mcasual.deviantart.com/

mtl1 said:

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,040

mcjElastic sounds pretty interesting!

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited June 2016
    mCasual said:

no updates since 2013 sorry

i have a lot (big lot) of projects i started and want to complete

the top of the list is

mcjElastic - SoftBody dynamics simulator script ( breast bounces being the more popular use )

mcjNewCastle - The final version of mc Castle prop

mckKinectFacialMocap

mcjKinectMocap - for "old" Kinect 360s

my Bullet physics thing

my midi-music-to-animation thing

then somewhere around that is the lattice deformer

note that if you want to follow the progress of my different projects

you can see it all here 

http://mcasual.deviantart.com/

mtl1 said:

Lattice deformer is so awesome especially if it's key-able!

But ELASTICITY? Really? Wow wow wow is it interactive as in realtime !!!???

Even if it's a sim I will still faint from over-excitement!  laughsurpriselaugh

I mean, my Daz actors will finally have bouncy JELLO HAIR BITS and and and wobbly rabbit ears! OMG!!!

And Bullet physics in Daz??? That that that is so speechlessly OMG!

mCasual you come out with the most original and interesting ideas!!! (and videos too!)

Post edited by Mythmaker on

the lattice-grid-box-cage  is attached to null nodes which, yes,  are themselves animatable. Generating morphs is probably the way it will be most used

mcjElastic ( will be ) is a script so it's not super fast, the normal way to use it is, 1 animate your character moving

over 100 frames, then using the script to animate the dangling objects over that timerange

as of now i didnt attempt to have it work in real-time

--

the bullet physics exists in a beta version since embarassingly long time ago 

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjbulletservice01

Mythmaker said:
    mCasual said:

Lattice deformer is so awesome especially if it's key-able!

But ELASTICITY? Really? Wow wow wow is it interactive as in realtime !!!???

Even if it's a sim I will still faint from over-excitement!  laughsurpriselaugh

I mean, my Daz actors will finally have bouncy JELLO HAIR BITS and and and wobbly rabbit ears! OMG!!!

And Bullet physics in Daz??? That that that is so speechlessly OMG!

mCasual you come out with the most original and interesting ideas!!! (and videos too!)

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited June 2016
    mCasual said:

mcjElastic ( will be ) is a script so it's not super fast, the normal way to use it is, 1 animate your character moving

over 100 frames, then using the script to animate the dangling objects over that timerange

Can we choose which bone/s or polys to make 'dangly'? And custom frame range too?

And and and... dangling styles? Like bouncy, bobbly or stretchy? 

On conformed items too?

Is it like, your mcjlageffect, which I just discovered?

Do I ask a lot of questions? cheeky

mCasual said:

the bullet physics exists in a beta version since embarassingly long time ago 

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjbulletservice01

it's a shocker to see the impossible in Daz Studio! My jaw was literally dropped eyes were popped!!

Don't know how I missed this amazing two years ago. Sheesh = me...lol

Been gone to play with Bullet in Carrara Poser and Nvidia in iClone  (can't live with Daz "mud hair" and "playdough skirts" anymore; after seeing dynamic hair + clothing you can't unsee it!!!)

If I knew this Bullet thing was happening I would've cheered out loud and nag you until it goes out of beta!!

Will check your Bullet stuff out once I resettle myself into DS again

Cheers and please continue to make Daz Studio more awesome!!!

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

hey mythmaker

whats up with the missing lucky gods ?