Dawn arrives

DoricDoric Posts: 80
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

A reproductively crippled vicky, what else would you expect.

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Doric said:
    Obviously you haven't played with her....here is an image with Rawn's hero shape and Asian face from the starter pack

Personally I'm enjoying playing with this figure and when Mec4D's male shape comes out will have even more versatility.

asianface_and_raws_hero.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 187K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

She's actually not a bad character. Even got her wearing V4 clothing via a self made autofit clone.

DawnV4_B25AliceGothic.jpg
    500 x 800 - 112K
  • DoricDoric Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    She's actually not a bad character. Even got her wearing V4 clothing via a self made autofit clone.

Martha Raye!
    edited August 2013

Pendraia said:
    Doric said:
    Obviously you haven't played with her....here is an image with Rawn's hero shape and Asian face from the starter pack

Personally I'm enjoying playing with this figure and when Mec4D's male shape comes out will have even more versatility.
    Wrong. I played with her tonight. I'll be removing her tomorrow. $45 for a case of the terminal uglies is a bit steep.

Fantasy clothing doesn't impress me either, not my style, not what I'll buy. YMMV. But I ain't gonna use this thing.

Post edited by Doric on
    edited December 1969

Doric said:
    Pendraia said:
    Doric said:

Wrong. I played with her tonight. I'll be removing her tomorrow. $45 for a case of the terminal uglies is a bit steep.

Fantasy clothing doesn't impress me either, not my style, not what I'll buy. YMMV. But I ain't gonna use this thing.Your choice...

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Doric said:
    Vaskania said:

Martha Raye!

lol Say what?

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

Nice free model, texture, expressions, morphs - thanks to hivewire3d!

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Her expressions are incredible. Especially, the smiles. It's the first time I've been able to get smiles I like. Plus, when you split the expression morphs in Poser, it really opens up a lot of possibilities.

I'm terribly spoiled on the number of morphs that V4 has (after six years), so I feel a bit constrained with the Dawn morphs. But then, V4 and Genesis on release also had a lack of morphs. Chris has assured us he's got more morphs, including creature, on the way, and if I remember correctly, he's also got ethnic faces planned. Plus, Rawn's Poser mini-morphs should be available soon, so I suspect it will be no time before I'm in morph heaven. There are just so many talented content providers who are supporting Dawn, that we won't even recognize her in a few months.

I'm not crazy about the default skin, but I also wasn't crazy about V4's default skin and don't believe I have ever used it because it was so ... yeah. I'm gonna say it. Ugly.

martClut said:
    Nice free model, texture, expressions, morphs - thanks to hivewire3d!
    A_New_Dawn.png
    711 x 949 - 1M
    edited August 2013

. There are just so many talented content providers who are supporting Dawn, that we won't even recognize her in a few months.

I'm not crazy about the default skin, but I also wasn't crazy about V4's default skin and don't believe I have ever used it because it was so ... yeah. I'm gonna say it. Ugly.

If what you want is a rehash and shucking out more bucks for the same stuff you can get for vicky, fine, knock your socks off.

For me, Dawn has a hard, cold face. Give her an open smile, Martha Raye reborn. Her torso more resembles "board" than "broad", and no morphs to fix it. Legs ala Vargas, and the morphs won't bring them back into proportion. Those are waiting for a third party, as are the genital and full body morphs. Face morphs, not much, and not very effective.

Promise and hype once again far exceed what was delivered. Played with her an hour or so last night, three hours this morning, bit bucket with the whole lot now. Roxie serves my ideas a lot better, out of the box.

Oh,yeah. Skin? Either she's been wading in industrial waste or she got caught in a fire.

Post edited by Doric on
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

Had you been here for the V4 launch, you would have seen the exact same thing. At least Dawn doesn't have a purple bikini.

I agree with you about Roxie, but I doubt she will get anywhere near the support Dawn will end up with in the first 30 days.

I was here for the v4 launch, and I paid the full price for her as well as morphs++. A short time ago, I put all of the 40+ daz figures I had in the bit bucket, so darn sick of more of the same clothing and nothing decent. Junk and fantasy rubbish galore. The amount of support for her may grow, but the variety is going to be more of the fantasy and skankwear that v4 already has in great profusion. Must please someone, but that someone ain't me.

Unfortunately, Roxie and Rex will probably not get the support they need, even if they are far ahead of most of the figures available. Even V4WM doesn't bend as well as Roxie, and she's still a Vargas girl, a caricature instead of halfway realistic. Dawn is even worse. I bought the whole bucket of rubbish from Hivewire, but that doesn't mean I have to keep it, and I didn't. Bit bucket, empty bit bucket, done.

But I turned around and bought Silo this morning. Should have done that instead rather than in addition.

edited December 1969

Without the additional morph packages, character packages, and finally, the massive fixes, V4 was rather boring. I've never liked the V4 default face and figure, but then ... the base figure should be rather plain or bland.

There has always been a rather vocal (and still is) contingent that absolutely hated V4. Just as there is one that absolutely hates any flavor of Genesis. It would have been disappointing had Dawn not attracted her own "anti-fandom" of haters.

I like Roxie. Enough so that I start with a Roxie look alike V4. I will probably create a Roxie look alike Dawn too. I like the smaller petite figure more as a base than the taller model type figure. One of the coolest things about Dawn is that you can dial in realistic sized breasts (A / B) as well as no breasts. But that may not appeal to many Poser/DS users since it's rare to see a female without melons under her chin.

I'm not sure how many Genesis content providers will be willing to take a chance on developing content for Dawn, especially if they will not be able to market it through DAZ. It seems most DS content providers develop for Genesis and sell through DAZ. I just don't see a lot outside DAZ that is Genesis or DS ... just as I don't see all that much figure related content here that is for Gen 4 and Poser.

People tend to overlook the fact that DAZ has a rather large stable of content providers so their new figure releases are always (or pretty much always) accompanied by quite a bit of new content ... even if so much 3d content is a rehash of what's already available. Not a lot new that gets developed. But then, that's not all that different in the real world either.

Remember, not only is the Dawn figure new, but so is Hivewire. But it's the names behind Dawn that made me comfortable enough to spurge on Dawn content.

I have SHINEY TINGS to play with again. How cool is that?!?

ssgbryan said:
    Doric said:
    . There are just so many talented content providers who are supporting Dawn, that we won't even recognize her in a few months.

If what you want is a rehash and shucking out more bucks for the same stuff you can get for vicky, fine, knock your socks off.

For me, Dawn has a hard, cold face. Give her an open smile, Martha Raye reborn. Her torso more resembles "board" than "broad", and no morphs to fix it. Legs ala Vargas, and the morphs won't bring them back into proportion. Those are waiting for a third party, as are the genital and full body morphs. Face morphs, not much, and not very effective.

Promise and hype once again far exceed what was delivered. Played with her an hour or so last night, three hours this morning, bit bucket with the whole lot now. Roxie serves my ideas a lot better, out of the box.

Oh,yeah. Skin? Either she's been wading in industrial waste or she got caught in a fire.

Had you been here for the V4 launch, you would have seen the exact same thing. At least Dawn doesn't have a purple bikini.

I agree with you about Roxie, but I doubt she will get anywhere near the support Dawn will end up with in the first 30 days.

edited December 1969

Roxie might be the best figure since sliced bread I don't know. I have no way of telling or even using her as she is Poser only. I use DS...

I can only comment on th figures I'm able to use. I like Dawn and like Satira says yes at the moment she doesn't have all the morphs but she only arrived yesterday and there are more to come . Combining the characters I bought and the starter morphs I can get a wide range of characters already. My only gripe is there is not much ds ready clothing a lot of what was released is poser dynamic.

If needbe though I will make my own...

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Roxie might be the best figure since sliced bread I don't know. I have no way of telling or even using her as she is Poser only. I use DS...

I can only comment on th figures I'm able to use. I like Dawn and like Satira says yes at the moment she doesn't have all the morphs but she only arrived yesterday and there are more to come . Combining the characters I bought and the starter morphs I can get a wide range of characters already. My only gripe is there is not much ds ready clothing a lot of what was released is poser dynamic.

Roxie gives me the kind of figure I want, and a pretty face to go with it, without having to jump through the hoops as in using vicky in any of her many iterations. If I want a different face, no big deal, face room. She came with that, and a lot of other morphs for her body as well as her face, pretty hard to beat, and I haven't seen anything else that bends as well. Dawn bends well, but by itself, that doesn't make up for the hard, cold face and the few ineffective morphs that come with the basic morph pack. Her torso is also a mess, no attempt at making it realistic at all, and it shows.

I dumped out the money for the whole package, installed, looked, played with what was there, then dumped it all out of my computer. Not worth the effort, and the lack of decent clothing makes it even less worth it. I don't care what they make for dawn, I'm more interested in some support for the native poser figures.

edited December 1969

Doric said:
    Pendraia said:

Roxie gives me the kind of figure I want, and a pretty face to go with it, without having to jump through the hoops as in using vicky in any of her many iterations. If I want a different face, no big deal, face room. She came with that, and a lot of other morphs for her body as well as her face, pretty hard to beat, and I haven't seen anything else that bends as well. Dawn bends well, but by itself, that doesn't make up for the hard, cold face and the few ineffective morphs that come with the basic morph pack. Her torso is also a mess, no attempt at making it realistic at all, and it shows.

I dumped out the money for the whole package, installed, looked, played with what was there, then dumped it all out of my computer. Not worth the effort, and the lack of decent clothing makes it even less worth it. I don't care what they make for dawn, I'm more interested in some support for the native poser figures.Your choice...as I stated earlier. I could post renders using some of the characters I've bought and dial spins I've done that I think change her quite a bit but I dont' think you're really interested in seeing them so I won't. I'm not trying to change anyones mind...my opinion differs though.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    I could post renders using some of the characters I've bought and dial spins I've done that I think change her quite a bit but I dont' think you're really interested in seeing them so I won't. I'm not trying to change anyones mind...my opinion differs though.

You're entitled to your opinion, As much as I'm entitled to mine. However, note the bold in the quote. Granted, I can't and don't expect an extensive morph pack with a free figure, or even as part of a starter. What I would like is a figure that's usable with a basic morph pack, without having to shuck out another bunch of money to get it, and Dawn is not. Her face is probably worse than the P5 Judy, without the ability to go into the face room and fix it, which you could with Judy. Her torso is a mess, turn her to look at her from the side, Umm, yeah. Board, not Broad. Add on her far too long legs, you have a gourd on a board on stilts. Also one that will be supported just like vicky has been, with 99 out of 100 pieces of clothing being something I won't look at. Another 10% finished project, that will never be finished by Hivewire, that will have to come from the third party. But give her a wild, unruly hair and she could probably serve for Phylis Diller as well as Martha Raye.
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

Really?

1. V4 was released in Dec of '06, your join date is '08.

Umm, yass. Before V4 was even out, I bought V3 and a bunch of crap to go with her, by telephone, on disk. V4 was out at least 2 or 3 years before I bought her. Never did use V3, continued with Judy. But that was in the days when you could read the forums without having to sign on. Join date might be when I decided to try V4, and I know she sat without being used at least another year after that. I didn't start to use V4 until after I joined Poserworld and could get something halfway decent to put on her. But I was around, lurking, LMAO at the postings. P7 was out for a while before I got P6, P8 was out before I got P7, then I think I did an upgrade to P8 and kept upgrading when the price was right. I know not too long after I got P5, my first one, SR-2 was released, if that dates it at all. I don't remember dates, they're not important.
  • edited December 1969

Doric said:

Umm, yass. Before V4 was even out, I bought V3 and a bunch of crap to go with her, by telephone, on disk. V4 was out at least 2 or 3 years before I bought her. Never did use V3, continued with Judy. But that was in the days when you could read the forums without having to sign on. Join date might be when I decided to try V4, and I know she sat without being used at least another year after that. I didn't start to use V4 until after I joined Poserworld and could get something halfway decent to put on her. But I was around, lurking, LMAO at the postings. P7 was out for a while before I got P6, P8 was out before I got P7, then I think I did an upgrade to P8 and kept upgrading when the price was right. I know not too long after I got P5, my first one, SR-2 was released, if that dates it at all. I don't remember dates, they're not important.

So you freely admit that V4 was out for years before you got into her. Which means she had two years to build a respectable wardrobe, hair collection, morph collection, texture collection, pose collection, etc. And you are ragging on Dawn for not having EVERYTHING you want the day she comes out?? Sounds a bit unrealistic to me. Sounds to me like you are just looking for a reason to diss something that you aren't even willing to give a chance. Will you come back and apologize in 2-3 years when she has a similar collection to V4 when you decided to get into her?

I am seeing such hated towards her, almost like people are afraid. Afraid that maybe she might be EXACTLY what the community needs to stop the silly bickering between fans of specific setups. It's just insane.

edited December 1969

It is insane.

She is a joy to work with, even with her limited morphs. (But, I remember whining a lot about the lack of morphs and ... especially, the lack of definition in those morphs, when Genesis was first released.) Of course, the equivalent to V4's Morphs ++, Creature morphs, and Ethnic morphs can't come any too soon for me. But in the meantime, I'm having fun playing with Dawn. Dawn's shape turned out to be closer to Roxie's shape than I realized. I had to tweak V4 quite a bit to get her to match Roxie, but with Dawn, I mostly just scaled her down a bit.

As for DS content for Dawn? Most content providers have expressed a willingness to provide content for both programs, either by learning how to convert the clothing to the other program or by partnering up with others who have the skills they lack. People are asking for help in understanding how to do that. Hivewire is also looking at how best to help content providers to support both Poser and DS. After all ... it's to their benefit for users of both programs to be happy with Dawn.

This is a smaller Roxie sized Dawn with some of V4 Amazon morph brushed in.

I am seeing such hated towards her, almost like people are afraid. Afraid that maybe she might be EXACTLY what the community needs to stop the silly bickering between fans of specific setups. It's just insane.
    Get_Yours_Today.png
    1296 x 1730 - 3M
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Nice, lots of comments to Dawn - no no one says where to get her :-/

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited August 2013

Talking about Dawn is fine. Linking to it is a violation of the commercial posting rules as set forth in the DAZ 3D TOS. DO a google seach for it and it will take you there.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that hint ;-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK, want another hint, lol Google "The Dawn of a New Era, and you should get some results" :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Will you come back and apologize in 2-3 years when she has a similar collection to V4 when you decided to get into her?

No, and for the same reason that I dumped all of the daz figures out of my computer. A glut of clothing, of which only a fraction of a percent has any interest to me. I'm not now and never will be a clothing maker, I can handle simple architecture fairly easily, but not clothing. As it stands right now, I have more clothing for Kate 2 than I ever had for V4, thanks to the efforts of a few freebie makers and Poserworld. Poserworld had, the last time I checked, three pieces of clothing for Dawn, one is a period piece that I won't use, another a wedding gown, but that's available for several figures, and I can see some use for it. Obviously not with V4 as I no longer have her. The last is a bikini, sorry, no interest there either. A large collection of clothing available probably means only that what I'd actually use is a shrinking percentage of the total, not worth the search to try to find something that suits my wants.
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited August 2013

Doric said:

Fantasy clothing doesn't impress me either, not my style, not what I'll buy. YMMV. But I ain't gonna use this thing.

You know, maybe I'm just strange, but I sure just don't get why someone feels the need to start a new thread with the sole intent of saying nasty things about a product that people spent time creating. Even worse when it's something that's being given away free for a month. It seems incredibly rude, and I'm bothered that trashing another company's product (not talking about saying "I don't like it", this goes WAAAAAY beyond that) is apparently perfectly fine for people to do at Daz forums, but giving a link to where you can GET this free product is unacceptable according to the Daz TOS.

I have no interest in trying to persuade you to use Dawn. And yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but HOW you say things should matter and clearly doesn't here.

What I will say, and you can hopefully at least give Hivewire thumbs up on this (though I doubt that since you seem to be convinced that they're evil incarnate), is that they have a 30 day return policy. Get a $45 store credit there and buy something else.

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
    edited December 1969

Doric said:
    Poserworld had, the last time I checked, three pieces of clothing for Dawn, one is a period piece that I won't use, another a wedding gown,
    You know I had almost decided to ignore you but I'm glad I didn't because you just provided some useful info...off to check out Poserworld.
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Doric said:
    Poserworld had, the last time I checked, three pieces of clothing for Dawn, one is a period piece that I won't use, another a wedding gown,
    You know I had almost decided to ignore you but I'm glad I didn't because you just provided some useful info...off to check out Poserworld.

Oh, yay - I haven't looked there since she came out, but I know they are doing stuff for Dawn :)

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

I've finally had a chance to play with Dawn and am truly disappointed with the paucity of expression morphs, even with the Starter Morph Pack installed. It makes me appreciate how good a figure Antonia-WM is...