Dawn arrives

2»

Comments

• DoricDoric Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    I've finally had a chance to play with Dawn and am truly disappointed with the paucity of expression morphs, even with the Starter Morph Pack installed. It makes me appreciate how good a figure Antonia-WM is...

And that is my main complaint, other than IF she takes off, it WILL be another V4, with a lot of junk clothing and damned little I can use. Got enough figures that way already, I don't need another one. As she is, even with the starter morphs, she's so ugly in the face you have to use UU to spell it. A gourd on a board on stilts. Her torso needs a lot of work, she looks like she lay down in front of a roller and it went over her.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

Just for grins, I did a comparison with Antonia in a similar pose. Stock textures in each case with EZSkin2.....

antoniadawn.jpg
    853 x 833 - 35K
    edited December 1969

What I will say, and you can hopefully at least give Hivewire thumbs up on this (though I doubt that since you seem to be convinced that they're evil incarnate), is that they have a 30 day return policy. Get a $45 store credit there and buy something else.

Which is the same as saying there is no refund on anything. So be it, $45 won't break me.

Evil incarnate? I would highly doubt that. Some personal beliefs were allowed to determine business decisions, which is always a mistake. None of which really matters, just if you're happy with her, then use her. Myself, I don't have the patience to wait for what should have come in the initial release, even at added cost, and by the time it's done, the price of "free" is going to be a whole lot more to get even a usable figure. Hype outstripped reality by a few parsecs.

If It's going to be a WIP for several years, then say so. I don't expect it to have everything at once, but having enough to make a reasonably attractive figure out of it at release, even at extra cost, is not an unreasonable expectation.

A common insult that used to be thrown around "Ahhh, your mudder wears combat boots!" Therefore, include them in the package. Umm, yeah. They forgot the fatigues and shovel so we could put her in the grease trap cleaning it out.

Just disappointing, and it probably won't get any better.

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Just for grins, I did a comparison with Antonia in a similar pose. Stock textures in each case with EZSkin2.....

Toni in blue?

edited December 1969

Doric said:
    WandW said:

Toni in blue?

Yes. Dawn is posed using one of the included poses...

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Doric said:
    WandW said:

Toni in blue?

Yes. Dawn is posed using one of the included poses...

The difference in hips really shows up, and dawn has a "Nefertiti neck". Should have known by looking at the legs that seem to have been wading in the dead sea too long.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

What a godawful pose. The additional abdomen, chest, and neck body parts will take some getting used to. Everyday Poses has some decent poses, but it has some rather awful ones too where the poses didn't take into consideration those extra body parts. Genesis had the same problem with some V4 poses because of its additional body parts.

Here is Dawn in the same pose, with a bit of tweaking to the hip, abdomens, and chest to get rid of that awful dip in the back. Obviously, the thighs and arms were then adjusted to bring them back into contact with the thigh and foot. I tried to get the same camera angle as you used, though I might be off a bit.

Your Antonia is in still in a more straight backed position, but I was only trying to fix the lower back, not completely alter the pose.

I also duplicated Dawn in the adjusted pose and turned her to show the other side of that pose. Dawn is definitely a different body type than Antonia. Antonia looks to be more of a Stephanie (or probably Reby Sky) body type than any of the Victoria model body types. But ... as we're seeing over at Hivewire, the base figure is simply a base, and what some people are doing with that mesh is truly amazing. There are some supremely talented sculptors working on Dawn.

Dawn does seem to have a longer neck than we might be used to, but it's pretty clear she can either be made to look horribly ungainly or elegant ... depending on which you want to show her as. Interestingly enough, the 7th promo on V6's product page makes her neck look just as long as Dawn's.

WandW said:
    Pose_Fix.png
    711 x 949 - 308K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    thanks for the comparison...it's funny how people see different things. My first thought was that Dawn's feet and ankles look much better but I suppose we all have different tastes. It would be a boring old world otherwise. I actually prefer the neck on Dawn also but I like a longer looking neck.

Thanks Satira for the image, it's a good point about the extra body parts...

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    WandW said:
    thanks for the comparison...it's funny how people see different things. My first thought was that Dawn's feet and ankles look much better but I suppose we all have different tastes. It would be a boring old world otherwise. I actually prefer the neck on Dawn also but I like a longer looking neck.

Definitely an improved pose, Satria. :)

I compared her with Antonia-WM because I felt one of Antonia's biggest drawbacks was the lack of the extensive expression morphs that the base DAZ figures came with, and Dawn has even fewer than Antonia...

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Pendraia said:
    WandW said:

Definitely an improved pose, Satria. :)

I compared her with Antonia-WM because I felt one of Antonia's biggest drawbacks was the lack of the extensive expression morphs that the base DAZ figures came with, and Dawn has even fewer than Antonia...thats cool...I've seen comparisons done with genesis but its nice to see other comparisons.

edited August 2013

Leave Dawn Alone! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

(Language advisory, IIRC. )

On the serious side, I think there have been some strongly held opinions stated in this thread, but it's been very civil. Objectively, the idea behind Dawn is ultimately to make some cash for those who created her; folks are welcome to project whatever else upon her they wish, but that's not what I'm buying...

(Edited to remove a reference to a post that was removed)

Post edited by WandW on
    edited August 2013

Here's an exercise in case anyone wants to try it. Load dawn, leave her without texture changes, morphs or anything else. Then load as many other figures as your computer can stand, without any changes. Load it, click on zero figure and leave it that way. Line them up, moving them only in the Z axis. Start with the tallest figure in the front, in my case Kez WM, and the smallest in the back, in my case, Miki 4. Do that with six or eight figures, don't spin any dials, turn off SSS and IDL, one infinite light set shadowless then start rotating the scene to look at the figures in comparison. NO anime figures, what you're looking for is which ones look human. Alyson has a worse face, but it's correctable as it comes. The positively worst face as it comes, without adding some kind of morph ($) is dawn. The worst body, hands down, dawn.

Alyson really doesn't need more than a couple of dial spins, that come with her, to improve the face a lot. Dawn, out of the box, no morph added, no expression controls either.

Judy, ten minutes at the most in the face room and you can make her look very nice. Body morphs, very lacking. Dawn, no face room for her, no dials, no nothing except "cough up the bucks to fix this turkey", and no body morphs without the same admonition. Sorry, no sale here. Antonia and Roxie bend maybe a little better, they're decent looking to begin with. But like the V things, money talks and BS walks.

Post edited by Doric on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Doric said:
    Dawn, out of the box, no morph added, no expression controls either.

You have to inject Dawn's base morphs as the CR2 doesn't come pre-loaded with them. All of the morphs/expressions/etc are found on the body node after injection. Her base morphs are in Pose > *whatever library* > Hivewire 3D > Dawn > Morphs.

Note: these are NOT the separate starter morphs. These are what are included with the free base only.

edited August 2013

Vaskania said:
    Doric said:

You have to inject Dawn's base morphs as the CR2 doesn't come pre-loaded with them. All of the morphs/expressions/etc are found on the body node after injection. Her base morphs are in Pose > *whatever library* > Hivewire 3D > Dawn > Morphs.

Note: these are NOT the separate starter morphs. These are what are included with the free base only.

I had discovered the expressions weren't loaded, and found it odd. Still very few with them loaded. Hopefully someone will do an expression pack for her...

Edit: I just now happened to open an Email to discover that "Dawn Ultimate Breasts Shapes" is available; first things first, I guess...

Post edited by WandW on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Doric said:

I am aware of that, also aware that when I load Roxie, or Miki 4 or Rex, all of the morphs are loaded at the same time. My point was, with dawn, you have the least attractive, least usable figure that was ever put out.

I can load any of the three figures I just named and won't really have to use any of the morph dials, they're usable as loaded, including expressions. Dawn would require at least a full day of dial spinning, if the morphs were available, (promises,promises) and the morph tool, and changing the textures to get something even usable, but ideal would be out of the question. Not worth the effort, Unless you're looking for Martha Raye. (She was not an unattractive woman, until she opened her mouth. To her credit, she used that in a very constructive way.)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

It is very good that the morphs aren't loaded with the base figure ... it makes it easier to make new PMD morphs for her.

By the way: if somebody wants to convert DS morphs to PoserPMD:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/71318/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/Converting-a-DazStudio-data-morph-to-Poser-PMD

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Dawn is a fun mesh to work with. Since there are not yet a lot of morphs out there-I made my own. The two Lil Greens and face morphs for the normal sized Dawn.

DawnElfGobLilGree.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 252K
    edited December 1969

Dawn is a fun mesh to work with. Since there are not yet a lot of morphs out there-I made my own. The two Lil Greens and face morphs for the normal sized Dawn.

Cute! :)

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Thanks WandW.
    My first morphs were to make a more "delicate" face. Then I went a bit crazy from there. :-) Someone said something about Football shoulders-so I started with scaling-then this happened! :-)

WandW said:

Cute! :)

DawnElfCutePink.jpg
    1115 x 802 - 42K
  • red10_3d4cbcdd19red10_3d4cbcdd19 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Great characters as usual Eric! You have quite a talent there. You are doing wonders with Dawn's mesh. :) Definitely keep it up.

Rick (cadmar)