AWE Surface Shader - a new physically plausible shader for DAZ Studio and 3delight

Comments

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited September 2018
    Oso3D said:

No, what I'm saying is that there's no place to put maps.

This is after applying 'AWE Base Dielectric'

The shader files aren't in the proper folders. These folders:

resources/

scripts/

shaders/

should be inside your DAZ Studrio application folder.

Post edited by wowie on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957
    edited September 2018

The shader presets are in Shader Presets/wowie, just like in the zip file.

Where should they be?

Yes, and I have all the files in the proper folders.

Post edited by Oso3D on
    Oso3D said:

The shader presets are in Shader Presets/wowie, just like in the zip file.

Where should they be?

They should be in your My DAZ Library folder, where DS keeps the runtime, data and various things like presets.

Yes, I have them there

presets.png
    595 x 239 - 26K

OK. So it seems only the shader files (not shader presets) that's in the wrong place. If you right click on the DAZ Studio icon, you should be able to bring up the DAZ Studio 4 app folder by choosing 'Open File Location' from the context menu. This is where the shader files and render script should be placed

For me, it's in the default C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\

If you ido a custom install or have a different build, then it should be placed in there instead.

The shaders are in: My DAZ 3D Library\Shaders\wowie

aweSurface.sdl and aweSurface___displacement.sdl

Is that the wrong location?

Oso3D said:

The shaders are in: My DAZ 3D Library\Shaders\wowie

aweSurface.sdl and aweSurface___displacement.sdl

Is that the wrong location?

Yes. that's the wrong folder. Those compiled Renderman .sdl files should be in the DAZ Studio app folder.

Hahahah, oh man. Yeah, it's been a year+ since I've installed anything in THAT tree. duh.

Thanks.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,418

Thank you very much for all your hard work! This shader looks very promising - but is it Windows only?

Any tips on enhancing caustic effect? I have transmission shadow at 100%, not sure that's the right thing.

edited September 2018
    caravelle said:

Thank you very much for all your hard work! This shader looks very promising - but is it Windows only?

I only have access to Windows, but the ones DAZ will bundle with the commercial pack should work on OSX. It is possible to hack the Windows files so it would work on OSX. You just need to edit the folder references in the .dsa files so it will have OSX folders.

Oso3D said:

Any tips on enhancing caustic effect? I have transmission shadow at 100%, not sure that's the right thing.

The transmission shadows will largely depend on the softness of the shadows you use on the lights. As for photon mapped caustics, I have no idea since I never tested them, but you need photon emitting lights for that.

Edit: I totally forgot about this. I limited transmission shadows so it is only enabled when you have transmission and Use Face Forward. Mostly because using transmission shadows on models with actual thickness will look strange.

Post edited by wowie on

Whew. 44 minute render.

I'm not sure what the black line is from, on the edge off the rock; maybe it's the lights or something?

Really high quality, for 3dl!

Crystal on Rock.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 328K
    Oso3D said:

I'm not sure what the black line is from, on the edge off the rock; maybe it's the lights or something?

Does the rock has SubD? On some non SubD props, black areas may appear with non optimal smoothing angles.

• Thanks for the shader wowie,Oso3D that render looks great I use 3delight and Opengl on my laptop so these new shaders are great.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,418
    edited September 2018
    wowie said:
    caravelle said:

I only have access to Windows, but the ones DAZ will bundle with the commercial pack should work on OSX. It is possible to hack the Windows files so it would work on OSX. You just need to edit the folder references in the .dsa files so it will have OSX folders.

Thank you, but instead of making a mess on my Mac (I'm really good at this) I think I'll wait for the Daz bundle... winksmiley

Post edited by caravelle on
    caravelle said:

Thank you, but instead of making a mess on my Mac (I'm really good at this) I think I'll wait for the Daz bundle... winksmiley

I'll check with DAZ to see if I can distribute the OSX version of the shader.

• caravelle said:
    wowie said:
    caravelle said:

Yeah, Mac user here too, I guess I can wait a couple of days more for the commercial package, but lol it aint easy:)

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

So... The 'real' product is out today, which looks good and well-priced for my sensibilities.

My question, (yesterday before today's release, and still today), what is this freebie, relative to the new commercial product?

(to be sure, I'll probably buy the 'real thing' at some point, but am still curious...)

Tnx, and good luck with the new store product. The blurb and renders are compelling!

cheers,

--ms

mindsong said:

So... The 'real' product is out today, which looks good and well-priced for my sensibilities.

My question, (yesterday before today's release, and still today), what is this freebie, relative to the new commercial product?

(to be sure, I'll probably buy the 'real thing' at some point, but am still curious...)

Tnx, and good luck with the new store product. The blurb and renders are compelling!

cheers,

--ms

The freebie contains only AWE Surface shader.

The AWE Shading Kit includes additional shaders, mainly new area light shaders which can cut render times up to 50%. There's also a new environment sphere shader with added flexibility. These two shaders can be used with the included light emitter props/figures and environment sphere with properly oriented normals.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

Are you going to start a new thread for the product so we can see what others are able to achieve with your fabulous new 3Delight shader system?  Be good for Q & A's too! 

edited September 2018
    RAMWolff said:

Are you going to start a new thread for the product so we can see what others are able to achieve with your fabulous new 3Delight shader system?  Be good for Q & A's too! 

Sure. I can start a new thread. Since the pack has stuff that's not in the freebie. Here's the thread in the PA Commercial Products section - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/280441/awe-shading-kit-for-daz-studio-and-3delight

When I got around to it, I'll be posting my modified version of mustakettu's Radium AreaPT lights and new point/spot/distant light on another thread.

Post edited by wowie on

yes

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    wowie said:
    mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

The freebie contains only AWE Surface shader.

The AWE Shading Kit includes additional shaders, mainly new area light shaders which can cut render times up to 50%. There's also a new environment sphere shader with added flexibility. These two shaders can be used with the included light emitter props/figures and environment sphere with properly oriented normals.

great, thanks!

--ms

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

1) Is it possible to use either or both the free and commercial versions of the shaders in old DS 4.8, either partly or fully? 

2) The "scripted 3Delight" render option doesn't seem to do anything.  Is that because I'm running 4.8, or is that the missing RaytracerGeneralRS.dsa file mentioned earlier? 

3) where would I find the missing RaytracerGeneralRS.dsa?

I'm just starting to try to experiment with this, I'd be curious if anybody has any interesting sets of settings that I should try testing with.

sriesch said:

1) Is it possible to use either or both the free and commercial versions of the shaders in old DS 4.8, either partly or fully? 

The shader files are identical. So even if one overwrites the other, you will still be using the same shader.

sriesch said:

2) The "scripted 3Delight" render option doesn't seem to do anything.  Is that because I'm running 4.8, or is that the missing RaytracerGeneralRS.dsa file mentioned earlier? 

When the files are placed in the correct folder, it should work on DS 4.7 and up. My guess would be you've misplaced the DS app folder files.

sriesch said:

3) where would I find the missing RaytracerGeneralRS.dsa?

I'm just starting to try to experiment with this, I'd be curious if anybody has any interesting sets of settings that I should try testing with.

Assuming you're using Windows (as I am)

mustakettu's render script files (the first line is the folder, the second line is the filename).

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\scripts\support\DAZ\ScriptedRenderer\RaytracerGeneral 
    RaytracerGeneralRS.dsa
    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\resources\Scripted Renderer\RaytracerDraft
    RaytracerDraft.dsa
    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\resources\Scripted Renderer\RaytracerFinal
    RaytracerFinal.dsa

edited December 2018

Uploaded AWE Surface 1.1, mustakettu's light shader, along with new point/spot/distant light and the shadow catcher shader. See the second post for details.

Post edited by wowie on

Oh goodie, an update!  :-)

• Grabbing the freebie for now, have put the full kit on my wishlist! Thanks for making this available! :)

Quickfix. There was a bug with transmission materials due to improper bias setting. If you download the update, please redownload the shader.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

For those who don't want to wait for the DIM update.

Updated the shader to build 1.2. See the first post for details/changelog.