AWE Surface Shader - a new physically plausible shader for DAZ Studio and 3delight

13»

Comments

• timeofftimeoff Posts: 49

Excellent stuff, thanks very much wowie!

wowie said:

For those who don't want to wait for the DIM update.

Updated the shader to build 1.2. See the first post for details/changelog.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

AWESOME.  Thanks so much!  

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited January 2019

Alright, I need help. Can some one try to convert materials from iray uber to AWE using the new scripts? I need to check if there's a difference between the iray uber I'm using and what others are using/DAZ bundles with DAZ Studio.

Nevermind, I found out what the problem was. I hadn't counted on people running my script on the iray uber material. So, it does look I need to update the manual with a walkthrough of the conversion process.

Edit: Updated the manual with a step-by-step walkthrough of the conversion process. Also, thanks to Mustakettu, Gone and totalbiscuit, the render script have been updated so you can now render Garibaldi hair.

Post edited by wowie on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957
    edited January 2019
    wowie said:

Edit:

Render script have been updated to support rendering of Garibaldi hair.

This, this makes it worth its weight in gold! Thanks so much for freely sharing this!

EDIT: OOPS this is for 3dl and not iray, (I saw PBR and the renders, which is outstanding!) but still, thanks for this as I can still use this for my renders, next time I won't skim the thread!blushwink

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
    edited June 2019

Haven't checked this in awhile. Mostly because the update was taking longer than I anticipated. But it looks like it's ready for use. A sneak peek of some new stuff.

• Smarter, stratified sampling. Render times are down to 25 to 30% less with the same number of samples settings.

• Hue, Gamma and Saturation controls for base/diffuse textures.

• Revised raytracing bias/ray epsilon when displacement is used. Previously, the shader wasn't using the actual proper values. As an added control measure, there is a new Diffuse Bias slider to control the bias manually.

• Revised tone mapping code and controls. It is now possible to override tone mapping values per surface, but still accept scene wide exposure values from AWE Environment Light. Tone mapping code now also works per pixel rather than per surface. Users can also select additional tone mapping methods. Available choices are : Reinhard, Unreal and ACES. Reinhard was the default on older builds. The newer build defaults to ACES. Users can select which method they prefer via the AWE Environment light.

• UV Projection Influence selection to control UV projection. Users can choose to have it affect both surface and displacement, or either just the surface or displacement shader.

Coat with bump

Coat without bump. Notice the base specular/reflection still has bump applied.

• Bump Applied to Coat switch. Users can disable this to render a smooth clearcoat while retaining bump mapping for the base layer.

There's also some bug fixes. I've changed the specular levels back to what it was before the current release update.

Capture.JPG
    311 x 208 - 20K
    Capture2.JPG
    300 x 87 - 12K
    Capture3.JPG
    294 x 108 - 15K
    Capture4.JPG
    303 x 112 - 15K
    BumpCoat1.jpg
    423 x 634 - 28K
    BumpCoat2.jpg
    423 x 634 - 28K
    Post edited by wowie on
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,606

Nice work! Thank you

• Hello, I am a newbie with Daz Studio and I have been doing a lot of learning to better understand Daz Studio and, I quickly discovered this thread, and it has been a great help. Thanks to Wowie and Mustakettu85 I have just downloaded the freebie Awe Surface Zip pack. I have also been able to install most of the files correctly but the *Awe Transfer Uber, Awe Surface, and Physical Sun*. I am assuming the Awe Transfer Uber should be placed in the path; C: Program Files/Daz 3d/Daz Studio4.....but I am confused and not certain of the specific folder it should be placed in. Kindly help, thank you.

eseogheneikoyo23 said:

Hello, I am a newbie with Daz Studio and I have been doing a lot of learning to better understand Daz Studio and, I quickly discovered this thread, and it has been a great help. Thanks to Wowie and Mustakettu85 I have just downloaded the freebie Awe Surface Zip pack. I have also been able to install most of the files correctly but the *Awe Transfer Uber, Awe Surface, and Physical Sun*. I am assuming the Awe Transfer Uber should be placed in the path; C: Program Files/Daz 3d/Daz Studio4.....but I am confused and not certain of the specific folder it should be placed in. Kindly help, thank you.

The AWE Transfer from Uber script should be placed in your My Library folder, not in your 'Program Files' folder. There's usually a sub folder named scripts there.

The script should be run after applying AWE Surface, not before. Also, it doesn't work with custom iray shaders which uses Shader Mixer blocks.

edited April 2022

New build uploaded. Also posted direct link to AWE Hair DIM installer.

Post edited by wowie on
  • CriosCrios Posts: 2,735

REally happy to see that this project is going on. Good work

Crios said:

REally happy to see that this project is going on. Good work

Although technically I'm still the maintainer, I've shared the source code(s) with Mustakettu. But if anyone want to get them (both the raw RSL or the Shader Builder project), feel free to contact me.