Morgan's Freebies: Updated March 2, 2016

Comments

• MorganRLewisMorganRLewis Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

More icons. These are just some basic shapes to get things started, and to help me refine my process before handling trickier things. I anticipate doing a set of outlines of the same shapes, and a set of plaques, to serve as possible backgrounds for other icons (or whatever other use people have for them). Then on to more distinctive icons.

Free for use in commercial or non-commercial renders and animations.

These are not to be redistributed or sold without my express written permission.

In this package is a set of icons in thirteen different shapes. The shapes load in at approximately 6 inches in size, "north-south". (I.e., if a letter A is arranged north-south, the peak is at north, and the feet are at south).

The following shapes are included:

* Circle
    * Decagon
    * Heptagon
    * Hexagon
    * Kite
    * Nonagon
    * Octagon
    * Oval
    * Parallelogram
    * Pentagon
    * Rectangle
    * Trapezoid
    * Triangle

Each icon loads at approximately 0.5 inches high (thick), and comes with an elevate morph that raises the top and lowers the bottom without distorting the rounded edge the way a vertical scale operation would. Each icon also comes with a "radial expand" morph that expands it proportionately without affecting thickness or the beveling. Several of the shapes have additional morphs to extend them on logical axes; for example, the rectangle can be extended East-West or North-South.

Download here

Icons_-_Basic_Solids_Preview.png
    650 x 700 - 128K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited March 2015

Thank You. This really looks useful, I donwloaded Shamrock pack too and hoping that there will be more.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    Thank You. This really looks useful, I donwloaded Shamrock pack too and hoping that there will be more.

There will be. I'm at work on the Basic Outlines set now, and there are about 25 total different sets that I've jotted down as ideas.
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Got 'em. Thank you, Morgan.

• VilianVilian Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:

There will be. I'm at work on the Basic Outlines set now, and there are about 25 total different sets that I've jotted down as ideas.
    Then I'm waiting for those upcoming sets as well. Thank you for the stuff already available for download :)
    edited December 1969

You're welcome, Anne and Vilian. Still working on the outlines; had a bit of an issue with bad geometry on one of them that slowed me down due to only spotting it once I was pretty far into it. But that's sorted out.

edited December 1969

After a few false starts with particularly recalcitrant shapes (you'd be amazed how difficult it is to get concentric kites to line up properly), here are the outlines. Up next will be a set of plaques, and then on to more distinctive icon shapes.

These are not to be redistributed or sold without my express written permission.

In this package is a set of icons in thirteen different shapes. The shapes load in at approximately 6 inches in size, "north-south". (I.e., if a letter A is arranged north-south, the peak is at north, and the feet are at south).

* Circle Outline
    * Decagon Outline
    * Heptagon Outline
    * Hexagon Outline
    * Kite Outline
    * Nonagon Outline
    * Octagon Outline
    * Oval Outline
    * Parallelogram Outline
    * Pentagon Outline
    * Rectangle Outline
    * Trapezoid Outline
    * Triangle Outline

Each icon loads at approximately 0.5 inches high (thick), and comes with an elevate morph that raises the top and lowers the bottom without distorting the rounded edge the way a vertical scale operation would. Each icon also comes with "radial expand" morph that expands it proportionately without affecting thickness or the beveling; there are radial morphs for the outer edge, the inner edge, and the whole object. Several of the shapes have additional morphs to extend them on logical axes; for example, the rectangle can be extended E-W or N-S. The extend morphs are also able to be used on the outer edges, inner edges or the whole object. Further, each icon has morphs to move the hole N-S or E-W.

Download Here

Icons_-_Basic_Outlines_Preview.png
    650 x 700 - 144K
    edited December 1969

Thank You, this really looks good and I hope that I will be using it :) and nice addition to previous set.

edited December 1969

Thank you, Morgan. In a way, I hate to go over to DeviantArt. I see something interesting, click on it, look at it (maybe download or save), click on something else, then something else. Next thing I know several hours have gone by. Excellent source of information for all of us.

edited December 1969

Heh. I know what you mean. It's kind of like a WikiWalk for art...

• DragonlunaDragonluna Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Glass Shader Presets for Daz Studio

Pretty much my oldest freebie, as well as the most popular. This is a set of shader presets that turn a surface into colored glass. Settings are based on the actual index of refraction for crown glass. 24 colors are included, hitting some of the basic colors and some common glass hues; the diffuse channel can, of course, be altered to provide different colors, these are just included for simplification.

These are presets for the Daz default shader, and are in .dsb format. They'll work in anything from DS 2 on up.

Free for commercial or non-commercial use. Do not redistribute.

Download at my Deviant Art page

These are AWESOME!!! I use them all the time!!!

edited December 1969

These are AWESOME!!! I use them all the time!!!

Glad you like them!
  • DragonlunaDragonluna Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

I Still use DAZ 3 so they work beautifully

edited December 1969

I Still use DAZ 3 so they work beautifully

Yeah, 2, 3, 4, they work with 'em all. I don't think they'd work (at least not as well) with the Iray renderer, but as long as you're running 3Delight, they should be fine.
    edited December 1969

After a slight delay, here are the plaques. After this, I'm thinking I'll probably tackle the hearts set next, which will probably be a smaller set (unless I get really wild on the variations.)

MRL Icons: Plaques for Daz Studio 4.7+ and Poser 10+
    by Morgan R. Lewis

* Acorn Plaque
    * Arrowhead Plaque
    * Badge Plaque
    * Banner Plaque
    * Egg Plaque
    * Filbert Plaque
    * Gemstone Plaque
    * House Plaque
    * Kite Plaque
    * Notched Square Plaque
    * Shield Plaque

Each icon loads at approximately 0.5 inches high (thick), and comes with an elevate morph that raises the top and lowers the bottom without distorting the rounded edge the way a vertical scale operation would. Some shapes have additional morphs.

Go here to download

Icons_-_Plaques_Preview.png
    550 x 700 - 145K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the plaques, Morgan. This time I resisted temptation and didn't go to any other DA pages. My brain is churning with ideas for their use.

edited December 1969

Thank You, this is wonderful addition to already nice collection. Will be useful I am sure.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,697
    edited December 1969

What rings would Ion wear (any version)?

edited May 2015

What rings would Ion wear (any version)?

I don't know if Kyle Rayner wore a ring at all when he was Ion, since the power was internalized for him. Sodam Yat as Ion wears a standard Green Lantern ring so that it can keep his lead poisoning at bay while he uses the internal power for his general Lantern-ing.

@AtticAnne, @Gulan7: You're welcome!

Post edited by MorganRLewis on
    edited December 1969

As it turns out, I did vary things up a bit more than originally anticipated with the hearts set. The outlines are to blame for the delay; I had to spend a few weeks working out a script to offset a curve by an equal amount all around.

Up next will be a set of playing card icons... which, yes, will feature a fourth solid heart design, as well as a diamond that isn't quite just a straight parallelogram, and a spade and club. It'll be the smallest of all currently-planned sets of icons.

MRL Icons: Hearts for Daz Studio 4.7+ and Poser 10+
    by Morgan R. Lewis

In this package is a set of icons in twelve different shapes. The shapes load in at approximately 6 inches in size, "north-south". (I.e., if a letter A is arranged north-south, the peak is at north, and the feet are at south).

* 3 styles of solid hearts
    * 3 styles of heart outlines
    * 3 styles of broken hearts, in left and right pieces

Each icon loads at approximately 0.5 inches high (thick), and comes with an elevate morph that raises the top and lowers the bottom without distorting the rounded edge the way a vertical scale operation would. The heart outlines also come with a "Hole Size" morph that can be used to alter the size of the hole, within reasonable limits.

Go here to download.

Icons_-_Hearts_Preview.png
    620 x 700 - 147K
    edited December 1969

Thank You, this looks awesome. I will have to download it soon, probably tomorrow or so.

edited December 1969

Thank you for the hearts, Morgan. These will be useful.

edited December 1969

You're welcome! I'm taking a little time to focus on other things (like making sure I don't take too much longer on my first RRRR pull) but I expect the next icon set won't take very long to do.

• All right, other concerns took precedence for a while, which is why what should have been the quickest set has taken so long. Now, unfortunately, I have another art project that has a bit of a time limit on it and a lot of work to do, so it'll be a while before the next set. Several weeks at the least. Possibly November. But when I do get back to making icons, it'll be the Stars sets.

MRL Icons: Playing Cards for Daz Studio 4.7+ and Poser 10+
    by Morgan R. Lewis

In this package is a set of icons in four different shapes. The shapes load in at approximately 6 inches in size, "north-south". (I.e., if a letter A is arranged north-south, the peak is at north, and the feet are at south).

* Card Club
    * Card Diamond
    * Card Heart
    * Card Spade

Each icon loads at approximately 0.5 inches high (thick), and comes with an elevate morph that raises the top and lowers the bottom without distorting the rounded edge the way a vertical scale operation would.

Go here to download: http://fav.me/d94w7vm

Icons - Playing Cards Preview.png
    650 x 746 - 122K
    edited February 2016

Side note: Apparently in the new forum software, it's impossible to edit the posts/threads that were created with the prior forum software. So I suppose next time I do upload something, I'll probably create a new thread rather than stick with a thread that has an improper "last updated" in the title. But I'll worry about that then.

Edit: Ha! It got fixed in the meantime. Excellent.

Post edited by MorganRLewis on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,545

For some unknown reason I can't download anything from your DA site. I even logged in just in case they had changed things since I was last there.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Are you clicking the Download button on the righthand column? 

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605

hi there, is there a secret to changing a forum thread title, i have a What's new thread like you but cant seem to be able to change the title

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    mCasual said:

hi there, is there a secret to changing a forum thread title, i have a What's new thread like you but cant seem to be able to change the title

Nobody can change thread titles or messages made in the "old" forum ...

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605

Thanks!

so i have a good excuse to start a new What's new thread :)

Kerya said:
    mCasual said:

Nobody can change thread titles or messages made in the "old" forum ...