Skipper's Berth

Comments

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

Well dang, good sir, happy to have you back.
    Glad that you enjoyed yourself.

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

About time you came ashore!

Been out harassing the islanders, I see.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Welcome home Skip. I'm seriously jealous, as you got to see a lot more of the world than I have, or ever will have, seen.

• skipper25skipper25 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A little hold-up at this end, I fear, but in the meantime, here is a pic of Sydney to look at.

Cruise_terminal.jpg
    1000 x 551 - 127K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

I've always loved the looks of allot of the architecture there in Australia!

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I've always loved the looks of allot of the architecture there in Australia!

Me, too.

Dana

• TallulahdahlingTallulahdahling Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

Glad to see you're back, Skipper! What a fantastic trip that must have been!

Funny... I don't have to leave home to go to Australia. Even after 11 years, that still amazes me.

edited June 2014

Yes, I liked Australia too. In my youth I thought long and hard about emigrating, either to Australia, New Zealand or Rhodesia. It was a close-run thing. One of the places that I had almost decided upon was Whitsunday Island, so when MS Black Watch sailed very close by, I studied it with great interest. It is beautiful; some sort of nature reserve-cum-holiday venue. It would have been great, but I don't regret my eventual decision to go to Africa.

BTW, the one complaint that I heard from most Ozzies and NZ'ers is that it's a long way to go to get anywhere!

Maori.jpg
    985 x 597 - 110K
    Post edited by skipper25 on
    edited June 2014

Right, folks. I have completed two text files and 214 *.jpg photo files. All have been uploaded to JustCloud. I have not used this service before, but as I understand it, anyone may click the link below and gain access. Would anyone like to try it? If it works, you should get the first of my two text files - the one giving general information and brief geographical notes on the 33 ports visited. Format is Windows *.doc, 148 Kb.

(Editted out)

Let me know how you get on. If all goes well, I will provide links to the second text file and to the photos folder. (BTW, the pic below is of one of the famous statues on Easter Island.)

P2220707.jpg
    825 x 1100 - 243K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Right, folks. I have completed two text files and 214 *.jpg photo files. All have been uploaded to JustCloud. I have not used this service before, but as I understand it, anyone may click the link below and gain access. Would anyone like to try it? If it works, you should get the first of my two text files - the one giving general information and brief geographical notes on the 33 ports visited. Format is Windows *.doc, 148 Kb.

http://public.justcloud.com/dtck5r4jpm.12760547

Let me know how you get on. If all goes well, I will provide links to the second text file and to the photos folder.

yes the link works

edited June 2014

:smirk:

P2220738.jpg
    1043 x 408 - 77K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967
    edited December 1969

Fascinating social commentary! And nice to see, though not unexpected, proper punctuation in use ;)

edited June 2014

LOL. Thank you, Simon. Glad you like it. Are you well?

P3020876.jpg
    985 x 542 - 70K
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    LOL. Thank you, Simon. Glad you like it. Are you well?

Yes, things continue to be well for me, though a slight *tsk" of annoyance at having put a reasonable sized order in earlier and just now seeing that if I'd waited an hour or two I'd have got an automatic $5 off ... timing is everything ;)
    Hopefully that was not a photo of your ship departing after you were marooned by ill-mannered dining companions/ ;)
    edited June 2014

Thanks for the best laugh that I have had for days. No, I was OK - I had a snack handy.

P2140528.jpg
    985 x 739 - 137K
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Thanks for the best laugh that I have had for days. No, I was OK - I had a snack handy.

That looks like something out of the H P Lovecraft cookbook :)
    edited December 1969

I'm just a few pages into your account, Skipper, but reading with concern and more than a little dismay toward the organisers. Just glad you got home safely!

I'd love to see Colin's pictures too, but there's a sign-up required there. Was that your intention?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited December 1969

I'm just a few pages into your account, Skipper, but reading with concern and more than a little dismay toward the organisers. Just glad you got home safely!

I'd love to see Colin's pictures too, but there's a sign-up required there. Was that your intention?

Yes, I hit that sign-up thing, too. I've signed up for way too many sites already.

Dana

edited December 1969

Hi guys. No, that was not my intention at all, but - as I said - I am new to this cloud storage business. I apologise.

It was my understanding that you (the viewer) clicked the link and the chosen file would show up. I also understood that there was no need for you to download anything unless you chose to do so - ie, that you could view the text as if it already existed on your computer. It would seem that the text files are behaving in this way, but the photo folder is not. Mmmmmmm.

The difference is of course that the text files are single, but that the pic file shows as a folder. Did you click on the folder to open it? If so, this should have revealed 33 other named folders and opening one of these should have revealed a list of those .jpg files contained within it. Clicking one should have it appear on your screen as a pic. At no time is it necessary for you to download anything. Nor should it be necessary for you to sign up for anything, unless perhaps you have clicked something that would have permitted you to change or save something on the cloud store.

Please try again with this in mind. In the meantime, I will check everything at this end and if necessary get in touch with the site owners. This needs clearing up.

Good luck.

P4212251.jpg
    985 x 574 - 96K
    edited December 1969

Great picture of you and Eve, Skip. I'm wondering what in particular has you puzzled of all those wonders you beheld from deck. Perhaps the "posse" of Indian customs officials coming aboard!

I'm afraid the only think click-able on the JustCloud page with the photos is "Create an account".

Meanwhile I'm deep into "Social Issues" and finding it just as interesting as the itinerary journal. I've always wanted to write up my travels like this but invariably set them aside until too much was forgotten, an outcome you deftly avoided. Thanks a lot for sharing all this with us.

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited June 2014

... THE PRODICAL SON HAS RETURNED! ...

... A LITTLE YOUNGER, BUT A LOT WISER! ...

Well ahoy mate! (I raise my glass of whiskey) Good to see you are in good spirits my friend. Cater and I have missed you. I assumed you were out to sea...literally, and was just hopeing you were having the time of your life. From the looks of these photos, all is well. I am hosting the annual "Summer Fun and Pinups" challenge in the freepository forum if you want to come by and say hello. Most are new folks now and all the old guys...uhem...have moved on to greener pastures and sunnier horizons. I am no longer running it as I passed it on to another younger one who runs faster than me...hehehe. Anyway, I held down the ship for going on 7 years you know. Still on the first page of the free forum, as usual. Cater sends her love and we hope to hear from you sometime soon, maybe on FB. Enjoy yourself and stay young.

:-)

Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited June 2014

Hi there, Music! I don't know about the prodigal son bit, but - yes - I am well and having a great time. I've looked at the Challenge pages but have not posted because since my return I have been swamped by stuff to do. If you would like to "read all abart it" then scroll back and copy the links to Cloud.com. Actually, you may be able to help us, for there seems to be some obstacle in the download of pics and I may have to search for an alternative. Do you remember the name of the site where you used to store them?

Love to Cater.

Seven_Pillars_of_Wisdom.jpg
    985 x 685 - 149K
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Hi there, Music! I don't know about the prodigal son bit, but - yes - I am well and having a great time. I've looked at the Challenge pages but have not posted because since my return I have been swamped by stuff to do. If you would like to "read all abart it" then scroll back and copy the links to Cloud.com. Actually, you may be able to help us, for there seems to be some obstacle in the download of pics and I may have to search for an alternative. Do you remember the name of the site where you used to store them?

Love to Cater.

How lucky to have that label in the desert so you know what the rocks are called ... ;)
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited June 2014

I just want to say thanks for some freebie items of yours that i have been using and that i found on one site, actualy this one http://www.artraiders.com/download_page.php?file_id=401

And good to see you after all :) i am relatively new to CG Art but i am trying to get better.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:

Love to Cater.

Yes and I still use it with no problems. It is 4shared.com. They have given me over 10 gb of storage space now since I have been there so long. They will start you with 5 gb I believe. No charge. Good luck. (I am enjoying the photos...what an adventure it must have been!)

edited June 2014

I got the two .doc files fine. It is the photo link that does nothing. There is a blue folder there, which I assume is the one you spoke of opening for the 33 individual folders inside. It is not linked so it does nothing when you click on it. That could be one problem. Also if you take the 33 folders and put them each in a seperate .zip or .rar file (archiver) it will reduce the size of the file a lot, thus cutting back on download time. You should have winzip on your computer already, so just right click the folder, scroll down and select winzip, then a side menu select "add to (name of folder).zip" and it will zip it up for you and place it back where the folder is along side the original folder. It will not change the original folders at all, so they are good.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

There is https://www.dropbox.com/
    Free, and you CAN make a folder visible to everybody.

edited June 2014

OT but I wanted to say...I love your avater Kerya!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2014

Skipper I use Dropbox nowadays, and many of the PAs here use it as well for sharing files. You can get a free account and it's painless and ever so easy to use.

If you like I can send you an invite to join, and then I earn more free space if you do join. You can do the same once you are a member, get someone else to use it and get extra free space. You start off with 2gb of free space (or 2.5 gb if you use a referral like me referring you)

I have found it really easy and intuitive to use, and I am hoepless with the teccy side of stuff.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited June 2014

Thanks folks. I'll get to work.....

Simon - Yes. They have something like that in Hollywood, so that Americans know where they are.

Gulan7 - You're very welcome. Glad you like it. When I get some tasks cleared away, I want to get back to 3D modelling.

Dorseyland - Since you mention the expression on my face, I had better explain. It was the result of one of those daft things that organisers get you to do, so that you don't get bored during long days at sea. This was a Build a Boat competition, using only scrap materials and no tools. The boat had to (1) float for ten minutes, (2) carry eight full cans of booze and (3) withstand turbulence (somebody splashing in the pool.) The scrap materials were mainly cast-off polystyrene packaging, Sellotape and cocktail sticks. Against my better judgement, I allowed myself to be talked into making an entry and came second out of eight. The photo of me was taken when the results were announced, so there is nothing more to say....

As for the models, I cannot possibly comment.

Comp.jpg
    1354 x 432 - 112K