Skipper's Berth

1234568»

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Thanks folks. I'll get to work.....

Simon - Yes. They have something like that in Hollywood, so that Americans know where they are.

Gulan7 - You're very welcome. Glad you like it. When I get some tasks cleared away, I want to get back to 3D modelling.

Dorseyland - Since you mention the expression on my face, I had better explain. It was the result of one of those daft things that organisers get you to do, so that you don't get bored during long days at sea. This was a Build a Boat competition, using only scrap materials and no tools. The boat had to (1) float for ten minutes, (2) carry eight full cans of booze and (3) withstand turbulence (somebody splashing in the pool.) The scrap materials were mainly polystyrene packaging, Sellotape and cocktail sticks. Against my better judgement, I allowed myself to be talked into making an entry and came second out of eight. The photo of me was taken when the results were announced, so you may judge my reaction.

As for the models, I cannot possibly comment.

LOL!
    But I bet you had some fun. ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    skipper25 said:
    Thanks folks. I'll get to work.....

Simon - Yes. They have something like that in Hollywood, so that Americans know where they are.

Gulan7 - You're very welcome. Glad you like it. When I get some tasks cleared away, I want to get back to 3D modelling.

Dorseyland - Since you mention the expression on my face, I had better explain. It was the result of one of those daft things that organisers get you to do, so that you don't get bored during long days at sea. This was a Build a Boat competition, using only scrap materials and no tools. The boat had to (1) float for ten minutes, (2) carry eight full cans of booze and (3) withstand turbulence (somebody splashing in the pool.) The scrap materials were mainly polystyrene packaging, Sellotape and cocktail sticks. Against my better judgement, I allowed myself to be talked into making an entry and came second out of eight. The photo of me was taken when the results were announced, so you may judge my reaction.

As for the models, I cannot possibly comment.

LOL!
    But I bet you had some fun. ;)

I think your one should have got first place. Great modelling. :coolsmile:

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967
    edited December 1969

Love the laid-back captain in yours! :)

• skipper25skipper25 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Simon - you have sharp eyes. The captain was actually made by one of the Sea Gypsy women that I talked about. (Crotcheted, I think.) He looks drunk.

Thank you, Cho - our real captain shared your views. (He is shown in the second pic, providing the water turbulence.) I was a little embarrassed that night when he bellowed at me in the bar, "You were robbed!" But - what the hell? - it was fun. All entrants got a bottle of champagne and the prize for the winner was a key ring. (Hey, wow.)

Model_Capt.jpg
    1428 x 544 - 101K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Really looks like you had an absolute blast Skipper!! :-)

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Simon - you have sharp eyes. The captain was actually made by one of the Sea Gypsy women that I talked about. (Crotcheted, I think.) He looks drunk.

Thank you, Cho - our real captain shared your views. (He is shown in the second pic, providing the water turbulence.) I was a little embarrassed that night when he bellowed at me in the bar, "You were robbed!" But - what the hell? - it was fun. All entrants got a bottle of champagne and the prize for the winner was a key ring. (Hey, wow.)

I seem to have quiet good pattern recognition at times and seeing the darker 'mass' I immediately thought "that looks like a ..." then I remembered our chats and just laughed and thought, "of course it's a captain!"
    edited June 2014

Hi folks. Well, I don't know about all this "easy" stuff. In the months that I have been away, just about every logging-on procedure has got worse - and worse - and worse - until there's blasted advertisements, offers and irritating voice-overs almost without end, not to mention the myriads of poorly-designed screens overlapping with each other. (And I have been around computers since the early days.) In my RTW texts I made fun of the Indian customs/immigration procedures and suggested that if or when they spread, they could bring the world stuttering to a halt. Well - believe me - they are here, right now, on the internet and I sympathise with anyone new to it all. The American mindset has led to a price being attached to everything, while the Indian mindset has led to more and more levels of complication, so what began as a simple system is now mind-blowing in its complexity. And of course, one is forever reaching for one's credit card. By which you will gather that I am more than a little annoyed. However, after days of faffing around, I have at last managed to upload a zipped file to 4Shared.com, which comprises a selection of 200 photographs.

(Link editted out)

If I have managed to extricate myself from the complexities, downloading should take no more than two minutes and unzipping should produce a list of pics for you to make a selection.

Let's see how it goes. I'll keep the lifeboat handy in case anyone else feels like throwing themselves overboard.

P2170674.JPG
    985 x 739 - 193K
    Post edited by skipper25 on
  • edited December 1969

Skipper, what is the password we need to download the file?

edited June 2014

Sorry. Link -
    (Editted out)
    Password - 7734&etc; (Note - nothing following the cee) - This is what I use to access 4Shared. However, it ain't working for me on the download. Is it for you? NB - if a semi-colon appears at the RH end of the password above, then this is one example of things going wrong, for I did not type it. For some reason, applications will sometimes add one. Stoopid bunch of wires!

Clearly, I will have to access 4Shared and change my password. I feel an urgent necessity to go and lie down.

>:-(

• edited December 1969

No joy in Mudville with this password. Your photos are being held hostage by the computer gremlins.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Sorry. Link -

http://www.4shared.com/zip/P6EKjhqPba/RTW2014DRD.html
    Password - 7734&etc; (Note - nothing following the cee) - This is what I use to access 4Shared. However, it ain't working for me on the download. Is it for you? NB - if a semi-colon appears at the RH end of the password above, then this is one example of things going wrong, for I did not type it. For some reason, applications will sometimes add one. Stoopid bunch of wires!

Clearly, I will have to access 4Shared and change my password. I feel an urgent necessity to go and lie down.

The ampersand is a special character on websites. The following three or four characters usually stand for a special character code, and would be followed by a semi-colon. I try not to use it in passwords and such. In a website address, it usually precedes a parameter that the target page would use to import data or options, like an ID, or a selection from a set of options on a shopping cart and so on. It's possible that web software is adding it because of the first situation. For instance an ampersand followed by the word copy and then the semi-colon would result in the copyright symbol. ©

Dana

edited June 2014

Thanks Dana. I thought it would be something like that. Actually, since I have had trouble with 4Shared, Dropbox and JustCloud too, (using different passwords) as well as having minor probs with other stuff, I have arrived at the obvious conclusion that there is something wrong with my computer - in Windows, Windows Explorer or that area. So - I have saved all of my progs and data onto an external drive and have this morning reinstalled Windows7, using the default parameters. Now I must spend the rest of the day reinstalling all of my other progs and data. I am aware that if one of these progs had become corrupted previously, then one could re-introduce the fault, so will proceed cautiously, testing as I go. Hopefully, I can then get the photo album uploaded. JustCloud seems to be the favourite destination as the upload page is simple and no password is required for stuff intended for the public domain.

This keyboard is getting steaming hot but at least I am cooling down now that I am back in the saddle, as it were.

edited December 1969

The keyboard is getting hot? That doesn't sound good. Maybe the problem is in the keyboard. Is it a laptop?

Dana

edited July 2014

Hi folks. A lot of work behind me, and I have a quick fix and a not-so-quick-but-better fix.

The Quick Fix - the entire file ( a zipped version of all 200 photographs and 2 text files ) has been successfully transmitted to my kid brother as an attachment to an email. So if you would like a copy, send me a PM or email containing your email address and I will return it to you, plus the attachment. I do not imagine that many folks will respond to this invitation and hence do not anticipate a lot of work, but nevertheless I hereby commit myself to dealing promptly with all who do.

The Not-So-Quick Fix - I suspect very strongly that this 7-year-old computer is nearing the end of its useful life and so have treated myself to a 64-bit, 4-core brand-spanking-new one. Currently it sits in boxes on the floor behind me. When reinstalling my old one I was appalled by the need to download no less than 153 updates to Windows, plus another 111 updates to IE. Since this often necessitated automatic restarts, this task alone took several hours. Tomorrow therefore I shall go into town and buy the latest versions of these and other progs.

The task then is to unpack the boxes, assemble by bright shiny new comp'r and install everything. It will be a lot of work but I look forward to it and hope that it will prove to be the end of a lot of niggling errors.

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SKIPPER!

:-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Happy Birthday to you, or as we say in my adopted country pen-blwydd hapus

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Happy Birthday!!!!

edited December 1969

Happy Birthday! Have a wee dram for me! :)

edited December 1969

Happy Birthday, Skipper!

Dana

edited December 1969

:-) Wow! That was a great surprise! Thank you all. Skol.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    :-) Wow! That was a great surprise! Thank you all. Skol.

cake cake - no some pie
    skull

edited December 1969

Will this do? Tuck in!

Food.jpg
    461 x 346 - 41K
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Will this do? Tuck in!

It's a start, but where's yours? ;)
    edited December 1969

LOL. That's OK - I used a bin liner as a doggy bag before you got here.