Genesis 2 Figures in PoserPro 2014 - Don't See 'em! :-P

RodSRodS Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Anyone out there having any luck getting the V6 - G6 figures to work in PP2014?

I just blew 80 bucks on both figures, and so far, have nothing to show... :-P

FYI..

99% of my content is in external runtimes - that is to say my main Poser runtime contains basically what came with Poser. Everything else is in external runtimes on my D drive. One of the external runtimes is named "DAZ People" and contains the base V4, G4, M4, etc. as well as the basic Genesis figure - basic female, basic male, etc. This is where I install Genesis characters, clothing and so on.

The basic Genesis figure works fine, and I can apply any of the Genesis characters and materials, and they all work fine. I also have V5, and she works fine as well.

The thumbnails for V6 and G6 show up in my DAZ People folder when I go to my Poser library > Figures. However, when I click V6 or G6, I get a progress bar from the DSON importer that flashes for about 2 seconds. Then I get a blank Poser scene - nothing there at all. There is an indication above the parameters / properties tabs that shows "Genesis 2 Female" as if it was there, but I see no figure at all.

I thought all I had to do was purchase/install the V6 files - at least that's the impression I got when reading the product description at DAZ. It comes with the Poser Companion Files, which when unzipped contain a "runtime" folder. I have copied this to the "DAZ People" runtime, and also the the "data" "people" and "runtime" folders under "my library."

So - anyone have any ideas? Do I need to buy something else? Or am I just having a brain fart? (entirely possible...)

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

Have you installed "Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials"?

• RodSRodS Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

Well...... Here's another chance for me to expose my massive lack of knowledge for all things Genesis... (LOL).

Honestly not sure... I do remember seeing a note about the Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials being part of a bundle included with V6... I thought this was part of the download of V6 and/or G6... Is this another file i need to download/install?

Thanks for the prompt reply! ;-D

Rod

Just went back to my account > product library and saw the G 2 Female Essentials there - I'll DL/Install it and see what happens....

Post edited by RodS on
    edited December 1969

Downloaded and installed G 2 Female Essentials. No change. Still get an empty scene when clicking V6. :-(

I do have the latest version of DSON, and the latest SR for PP 2014. Not sure what to do now..... Looks like I just wasted 80 bucks...

edited December 1969

Got it! :-D

It's working now..... Finally figured out where to install everything... What was confusing me was the fact that the DAZ People folder has a folder for data, people, and runtime. There's also another folder called 'my library' and it also contains folders called 'data,' 'people,' and 'runtime.'

Everything needed to be installed in the data, people, and runtime folders under the main DAZ People folder, and not in the 'my library folder.' Confusing? Just a tad, but then I have my runtimes set up differently than most folks, I'm guessing.... :-P

I do this basically in case something happens I have my runtimes backed up - and all I have to do is re-link them to Poser's Libraries rather than spend 6 months reinstalling content....

Anyway, it's all working now, and I'm a happy camper again. :-D

• DarkElfDarkElf Posts: 358
    edited December 1969

Hi Rod. It's Mike. Being you have been through this, can you direct me to a simple, straight forward, step-by-step on where to put what to use Genesis 1 & 2 to work in Poser 2014? I finally broke down and got the darned cute Girl 6. :-)

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

MrEstey said:
    Hi Rod. It's Mike. Being you have been through this, can you direct me to a simple, straight forward, step-by-step on where to put what to use Genesis 1 & 2 to work in Poser 2014? I finally broke down and got the darned cute Girl 6. :-)

I use DS a little bit to do some conversions and such, I put all the DSON core files in a DS directory, and then I have a Genesis Content runtime for Poser where I install all of the Poser Companion Files. As long as Poser has the DS directory and the Genesis Content directory both listed in its runtimes, you should be able to install and use Genesis with no problem.

• DarkElfDarkElf Posts: 358
    edited December 1969

Thank TheWheelMan! I have gotten pretty much everything in the bundle working now. What a royal pain in the butt! It's not a wonder Genesis isn't catching on with Poser users! I almost gave up and asked for a refund. I had to manually drag and drop a bunch of files into various locations from the zip files to get this Genesis stuff to work.
    Don't know why SOMEONE can't just make this simple.
    EVERYTHING in all these zip files begins with "content". Do these people know that when you unzip files into Poser you don't HAVE a "content" fold. The CF zips should be unzipping to "runtime" not "content".

edited December 1969

MrEstey said:

That's why DIM was created.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

MrEstey said:
    Thank TheWheelMan! I have gotten pretty much everything in the bundle working now. What a royal pain in the butt! It's not a wonder Genesis isn't catching on with Poser users! I almost gave up and asked for a refund. I had to manually drag and drop a bunch of files into various locations from the zip files to get this Genesis stuff to work.
    EVERYTHING in all these zip files begins with "content". Do these people know that when you unzip files into Poser you don't HAVE a "content" fold. The CF zips should be unzipping to "runtime" not "content".

I have established a system whereby I download (manually) then unzip to a temp folder. I then go to the temp folder and drag the runtime to whichever of my folders contains the runtime into which I wish to put that particular set of downloads, and when it asks if I want to merge I let it.

If I want to actually customise it even more then I move parts of the stuff in the runtime folder to the specific locations, rather than the whole folder.

This is the way I always worked with zip files, and indeed even the old installers. I like to have my runtimes the way I want them, not how someone else feels I should have them :roll:

I find this works very much faster than having to run all the individual installers as we used to.
    From time to time I purge the temp folder of the Dross

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

MrEstey said:

That's why DIM was created.

Indeed; it works extremely well... :)

• F0ulF0ul Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

R_Shelley said:
    Got it! :-D

It's working now..... Finally figured out where to install everything... What was confusing me was the fact that the DAZ People folder has a folder for data, people, and runtime. There's also another folder called 'my library' and it also contains folders called 'data,' 'people,' and 'runtime.'

Everything needed to be installed in the data, people, and runtime folders under the main DAZ People folder, and not in the 'my library folder.' Confusing? Just a tad, but then I have my runtimes set up differently than most folks, I'm guessing.... :-P

I do this basically in case something happens I have my runtimes backed up - and all I have to do is re-link them to Poser's Libraries rather than spend 6 months reinstalling content....

Anyway, it's all working now, and I'm a happy camper again. :-D

Can you or someone else explain this because, I have been messing with folder options for 3 days now and no luck. I have even installed everything in multiple folders at the same time hoping to luck up. I have installed content in external folders and in poser as well. I have The newest version of DAZ just downloaded. All of my content is located in Poser Runtime files. Nothing is located out of poser except for Genesis files I installed in C:/Daz content/runtime as well as in poser. I get invisible figures since it seems to load the model but no display. I have read 5 different posts on this and still am lost. Thanks.

edited December 1969

You should never install to the Runtime folder itself or any subfolder thereof -- always install to the folder CONTAINING the Runtime folder.

edited December 1969

You should never install to the Runtime folder itself or any subfolder thereof -- always install to the folder CONTAINING the Runtime folder.

http://s17.postimg.org/n15rctlen/oneee.jpg

Everything is in my runtime. Made it easier for me. What should I have done?

edited December 1969

The "Runtime" folder inside the Poser program folder is not part of the Library. (nor should it be if Poser is installed in c:\Program Files, which it appears to be) Where did you install the included content when you first installed it? The default location is Shared Documents...

edited December 1969

Aside from the problem of installing under Program Files, which will cause problems in Windows 7/8/Vista, you should be installing to the folder CONTAINING the Runtime folder -- if the Data folder is under Runtime instead of parallel to Runtime it won't work. Nor will the Runtime folder inside another Runtime folder.

edited December 1969

WandW said:

The "Runtime" folder inside the Poser program folder is not part of the Library. (nor should it be if Poser is installed in c:\Program Files, which it appears to be) Where did you install the included content when you first installed it? The default location is Shared Documents...

Everything gets sent to the runtime folder located in Poser. Do I need to install in the runtime outside the program itself?
    Poser seems to work ok with all other content under Poser/Runtime. I can move it to an outside runtime if that's what is required for it to function. Thanks

edited December 1969

If you are running Windows Vista or higher, the content is supposed to be installed outside of the Program Files Hierarchy to prevent issues with Windows' User Access Control. Because of this, the default location for the content installation is 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content'. Having the content in the Poser Program folder will cause all sorts of odd issues....

edited December 2013

Everything was moved to that directory. I left aniblocks, Cg, Lipsinc, plugins, prefs, python, scripts and ui in poser runtime.

I reinstalled dson into the public folder and rebooted the computer. I tried to load V6 and it is still blank. I tried loading v4 and she loads no problem.

Post edited by F0ul on
    edited December 1969

Everything was moved to that directory. I left aniblocks, Cg, Lipsinc, plugins, prefs, python, scripts and ui in poser runtime.

I reinstalled dson into the public folder and rebooted the computer. I tried to load V6 and it is still blank. I tried loading v4 and she loads no problem.

The DSON Importer itself should be installed to the Poser application folder -- the content (G2F Starter Essentials, V6, G2F Starter Essentials PoserCF, and V6 PoserCF) should be installed outside the application folder, such as in Documents.

edited December 1969

Did you install both the DSON Core and Poser CF files?
    edited December 1969

Ok... :p I reinstalled DSON into Poser. DSON installed itself into Runtime\Geometries, Python\addons & poserscripts\scriptsmenu.

I decided to see if my files worked with Daz3d and all the files I pulled up would load in Daz3d but, would always ask for textures. Once I gave Daz3d the texture path it was happy. (deleting old paths and giving it a new path didn't help. Keeps asking for textures for each model.)

Poser will still give me a blank model. It loads older models without any issues at all . For some reason it hates Genesis with a passion. I have no clue as to what could be wrong now. I made sure all genesis CF were reinstalled but, I am not sure what you mean by DSON CORE.

DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.1.1.33_Win64.exe is what I am using to try and make Poser enjoy my DAZ products.

I am close to giving up on Genesis and being content with V4. She seems to be a low maintenance girl.

edited December 1969

Ok... :p I reinstalled DSON into Poser. DSON installed itself into Runtime\Geometries, Python\addons & poserscripts\scriptsmenu.

I decided to see if my files worked with Daz3d and all the files I pulled up would load in Daz3d but, would always ask for textures. Once I gave Daz3d the texture path it was happy. (deleting old paths and giving it a new path didn't help. Keeps asking for textures for each model.)

Poser will still give me a blank model. It loads older models without any issues at all . For some reason it hates Genesis with a passion. I have no clue as to what could be wrong now. I made sure all genesis CF were reinstalled but, I am not sure what you mean by DSON CORE.

DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.1.1.33_Win64.exe is what I am using to try and make Poser enjoy my DAZ products.

I am close to giving up on Genesis and being content with V4. She seems to be a low maintenance girl.

The file that's NOT the PoserCF file -- you need to install both.

If DS keeps asking for texture paths, make sure the folder containing the Runtime is listed as a Poser-format folder, not jut a DS-format folder..

edited December 1969

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Victoria 6\FBMVictoria6Body.dsf
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\People\Genesis 2 Female\Characters\Victoria 6.duf
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\People\Genesis 2 Female\Materials\Victoria 6\V6 Belle All.duf
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\People\Genesis 2 Female\Poses\Victoria 6\V6 01.duf
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\Support\DAZ_3D_16281_Victoria_6.dsa
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\Textures\DAZ\Characters\Genesis2\Victoria6\RyBelle_face.jpg
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\libraries\character\DAZ\DAZ People\Victoria 6.cr2
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\libraries\character\DAZ\DAZ People\Victoria 6.duf
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\Libraries\materials\DAZ Genesis 2 Female\Victoria 6\01 Belle Skin.duf

These are some of the locations for some of the installed files. I have put all DAZ figures in their own folder to condense my menu some. If this effects DSON looking for them, I can change this. As far as I know, All content is installed. Daz has no problem finding anything so it has to be an issue with Poser or DSON.

Poser Loads everything besides Genesis so then I boil it down to DSON. DSON has created files in some folders that it seems to have made itself. If it creates a file, shouldn't it be able to read what it creates? DSONs main file locations are

C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014\Runtime\Geometries\DAZ 3D\DSON
    C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014\Runtime\Python\addons\dson
    C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support

DSON has create folders that were not installed by me for example
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Runtime\DSON\auto_adapted\content_files

If there are certain key files that must be in a certain location for DSON or Poser to find Genesis, PLEASE link a file menu so I can move that content to the proper location.
    Thanks again for your help.

edited December 1969

You need to install to the folder CONTAINING the Runtime folder -- in particular, the Data folder cannot be under Runtime.

edited December 1969

That was it!!! The data folder was under runtime. THANKS, you have saved what little sanity I have left.

• edited August 2014

This is a very old post. But in case someone read it I would like to add that the Data folder is not a part of the Poser , the data folder is for DAZ Studio. Correct me if I am wrong. But that is said before in the tread I think. Anyway I can't get this working. Everything should be correct. All my files for poser and DAZ Studio is outside the Program files folder. Still notting showing. Nada
    But I found a solution in the daz forums, a workaround. I made a simplified version of it here: http://ravn3d.no/?page_id=16

Esim

Post edited by esimacio_6de14de8f3 on
    edited December 1969

The Data folder contains the DSON files. It's not used directly by Poser, but is used by the DSON Importer...

• edited December 1969

ah okay. Thanks

• edited December 1969

But should the DSON Importer also be outside the runtime folder ?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited August 2014

The DSON Importer for Poser goes to the Poser application folder, though it does end up in a specific place in the Runtime folder there (which is not used for content, at least on Windows from Vista on).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on