Kururu for Genesis 2 Female (DAZ Studio 4.6 only)

amy_aimeiamy_aimei Posts: 139
edited December 1969 in Freebies

Thanks mato for giving me the permission to modify/update mato's Kururu to a TriAx weight-mapped figure for using with DAZ Studio 4.6.

The package contains a modified version of mato's Kururu (くるる) for using with Genesis 2 Female in DAZ Studio 4.6.

It was modified with Blender 3D, DAZ Studio, GIMP and Notepad++.
It works in DAZ Studio 4.6.

It is tested in DAZ Studio 4.6.3.52.

Usage Instruction:
1. Load People -> Genesis 2 Female -> Characters -> KururuBodyG2F
2. Select KururuBodyG2F
3. Load People -> Genesis 2 Female -> Characters -> Anatomy -> KururuHeadG2F
4. Make sure KururuHeadG2F is fitted to KururuBodyG2F

If everything works correctly, the Genesis 2 Female's head will be replaced by Kururu's head. Noted that the body is morphed too.
Now Kururu can wear Genesis 2 Female's clothes!

It can be downloaded from my dA site at http://fav.me/d82rgbn

KururuG2F.png
1024 x 768 - 169K

Comments

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 781
    edited December 1969

Thanks amy_aimei!! Can your Kururu morph be used to fit Kururu clothing to G2F?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Very cute! Thank you for your work!

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

Thanks amy_aimei!! Can your Kururu morph be used to fit Kururu clothing to G2F?
    Not without a lot of work, the body shape and T pose are different and the head is a geograft, so the morph is of little use as a clone for autofit.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 1969

can use XD4 to convert to V4 if you buy a license then autofit

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited December 1969

Hey, Amy;

Why is the head a geo-graft and not a morph, like the body is? That really doesn't make much sense to me. Is there a technical reason for it? Wouldn't it have made more sense to make it a morph (even if it's a separate head morph)?

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited October 2014

Hey, Amy;

Why is the head a geo-graft and not a morph, like the body is? That really doesn't make much sense to me. Is there a technical reason for it? Wouldn't it have made more sense to make it a morph (even if it's a separate head morph)?

Just looking at it I can tell you one good reason: eyes. You literally can't have a normal head with giant eyes as a morph of a DAZ figure.

That specific very round eye shape is almost impossible to create with a morph (I've tried, it's why my anime character builder isn't finished yet), and then you'd have to do a lot of MCMs with it to make it work. It would ruin the head proportion as well because the head has to be big enough for the eyes to remain perfectly spherical inside the head. Hopefully using a geograft allows the Kururu head to keep proper proportions and still have eyes that close properly (I haven't tested it yet).

Also, she's very cute! Thank you amy_aimei, and thanks to the original creator for giving us this option!

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

Just did a quick install to check her!

Grand: The eyes and expressions work perfectly, allowing some very anime looks that are impossible with existing G2F characters (BlinkSmile alone is worth it!).

Disappointing: Her texture is converted to G2F's base UV instead of converting the Kururu UV to map onto the G2F body. Thus, she can only ever use this one texture, because G2F base UV textures won't support her head UV and other Kururu textures won't support her body.

On the other hand, a good set of skin shaders like Amazing Skins might make up for only being able to use this one body texture with her. Also, the head can be geografted to G2M as well (as with all G2 geografts), and the body texture used on him (no gens, but this texture is very simple, it' shouldn't be hard to come up with some matching ones for the gens in GIMP if you really need them). On the whole it's a very fun new toy for anime fans to play with in DS, and I appreciate having it!

edited December 1969

Hey, Amy;

Just looking at it I can tell you one good reason: eyes. You literally can't have a normal head with giant eyes as a morph of a DAZ figure.

That specific very round eye shape is almost impossible to create with a morph (I've tried, it's why my anime character builder isn't finished yet), and then you'd have to do a lot of MCMs with it to make it work. It would ruin the head proportion as well because the head has to be big enough for the eyes to remain perfectly spherical inside the head. Hopefully using a geograft allows the Kururu head to keep proper proportions and still have eyes that close properly (I haven't tested it yet).

Also, she's very cute! Thank you amy_aimei, and thanks to the original creator for giving us this option!That may be except for the fact that we do have a number of "anime" style toon characters with large eyes for Genesis and Genesis 2 which don't require the head to be geo-grafted. In particular, there is Mavka for Genesis, Hitomi for Geneisis, Toon Amy for Genesis, Nata for Genesis, Jazlyn for Genesis, Kimberly for Geneisis, Sadie and Sam for Genesis, Jason and Jasmine for Genesis, and for the Genesis 2 we have Eclypse for Genesis 2 Female, Fiends forever and Fiends Forever Male. All of them have oversized eyes, and Mavka's and Hitomi's eyes, in particular, are absolutely huge. In fact, Hitomi's are around the same size as Kururu's, and Mavka's are even larger, yet none of these character morph sets require the head to be geo-grafted. So it is possible to do.

edited October 2014

Hey, Amy;

Also, she's very cute! Thank you amy_aimei, and thanks to the original creator for giving us this option!

That may be except for the fact that we do have a number of "anime" style toon characters with large eyes for Genesis and Genesis 2 which don't require the head to be geo-grafted. In particular, there is Mavka for Genesis, Hitomi for Geneisis, Toon Amy for Genesis, Nata for Genesis, Jazlyn for Genesis, Kimberly for Geneisis, Sadie and Sam for Genesis, Jason and Jasmine for Genesis, and for the Genesis 2 we have Eclypse for Genesis 2 Female, Fiends forever and Fiends Forever Male. All of them have oversized eyes, and Mavka's and Hitomi's eyes, in particular, are absolutely huge. In fact, Hitomi's are around the same size as Kururu's, and Mavka's are even larger, yet none of these character morph sets require the head to be geo-grafted. So it is possible to do.

All of those have eyes that are proportionately smaller compared to their head size than Kururu. Look at the distance from eye edge to the sides of the head. And not in their promos - those have hairs that cover the intervening distance and also always turn the head to one side.

Look at Hitomi side-by-side with Kururu in DS in front view here. In the wireframe you can see how absolutely enormous Kururu's eyeballs are - they overlap each other inside her head in a way that would be very hard to manage with G2F (although I have to say I'm impressed that they do move properly as spheres; I didn't expect that, and it gives me a little more hope for future projects).

All of the Aikos, Jasmine, and the Fiend have much smaller eyes than Hitomi by proportion to their head size, so I've only shown Hitomi here, but anyone can compare this for themselves. Again, this is not meant as a putdown to the makers of those - I have most of them, and they're great, but their makers are working with the limitations of the figures' geometry. Rigging a stylized head as a morph is VERY difficult.

hitomikururuwireframe.jpg
    691 x 633 - 244K
    hitomiandkururu.png
    685 x 685 - 127K
    Post edited by SickleYield on
  • amy_aimeiamy_aimei Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

I tried to answer all these questions in this thread.

The body morph is not the same as original Kururu's body. Therefore, she cannot wear original Kururu's clothes.

The reason why I made this because I discovered even the Kururu with TriAx weight-map I finished before this cannot wear original Kururu's clothes without minor adjustment to the clothes. In additional, someone told me that he had hard time to find clothes for Kururu.
    During that process of making a clone to convert Aiko 3 clothes to Kururu weight-mapped figure, I found another issue with DAZ Studio. If the item has duplicated and disconnected vertices, DAZ Studio crashes when I tried to perform a Weight Map Symmetry on it.

The clothing clone to convert original Kururu's clothes may not worth my time because there are few clothes that are unique to Kururu. In fact, with the original mesh, it is not hard for me to make it to fit Genesis 2 with modelling tools.

Why the head is not the morph of Genesis 2's head? SickleYield already explained it. It is the same as my reason. The eye sockets for Kururu's big eyes are the most difficult part to morph. In additional, I have to make another set of expressions. With such "extreme" morphing, Genesis 2's expression cannot work properly.

SickleYield, the texture is a big issue for me, I'm not good at that!

• AmariJunAmariJun Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

Great item! Thank you !

KururuG2F-002.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 169K
    edited December 1969

Hey, Amy;

That may be except for the fact that we do have a number of "anime" style toon characters with large eyes for Genesis and Genesis 2 which don't require the head to be geo-grafted. In particular, there is Mavka for Genesis, Hitomi for Geneisis, Toon Amy for Genesis, Nata for Genesis, Jazlyn for Genesis, Kimberly for Geneisis, Sadie and Sam for Genesis, Jason and Jasmine for Genesis, and for the Genesis 2 we have Eclypse for Genesis 2 Female, Fiends forever and Fiends Forever Male. All of them have oversized eyes, and Mavka's and Hitomi's eyes, in particular, are absolutely huge. In fact, Hitomi's are around the same size as Kururu's, and Mavka's are even larger, yet none of these character morph sets require the head to be geo-grafted. So it is possible to do.

All of those have eyes that are proportionately smaller compared to their head size than Kururu. Look at the distance from eye edge to the sides of the head. And not in their promos - those have hairs that cover the intervening distance and also always turn the head to one side.

Look at Hitomi side-by-side with Kururu in DS in front view here. In the wireframe you can see how absolutely enormous Kururu's eyeballs are - they overlap each other inside her head in a way that would be very hard to manage with G2F (although I have to say I'm impressed that they do move properly as spheres; I didn't expect that, and it gives me a little more hope for future projects).

All of the Aikos, Jasmine, and the Fiend have much smaller eyes than Hitomi by proportion to their head size, so I've only shown Hitomi here, but anyone can compare this for themselves. Again, this is not meant as a putdown to the makers of those - I have most of them, and they're great, but their makers are working with the limitations of the figures' geometry. Rigging a stylized head as a morph is VERY difficult.I think the biggest "issue" there is the Kururu eyeballs are unecessarilly large for their sockets. The Hitomi eyes are just as wide horizontally (in fact, a little wider), and only a little narrower vertically, yet the eyeballs are much smaller and better proportioned. I really don't see a need for a "Genesis" morph's eyes to be even half as massive as the original Kururu eyeballs to fit those wide "anime" eyes as a straight morph. So, all I really see needed to to shape the G2F head to look like Kururu's and scale the eyeballs maybe a little larger than Hitomi's. I don't see any need for the eyeballs to be as huge as the original Kururu's to get the same look.

edited December 1969

Based on my own experiences, I disagree with you. I think if I continue to argue past that we'll get the thread locked, which amy_amei does not deserve for converting a lovely free item to share.

edited December 1969

nmizu said:
    Great item! Thank you !

You're welcome!
    I like the background of the picture. Feel like the Magical Girls (魔法少女)
    I visit your site too. There are few more renders featuring Kururu for G2F.
    edited December 1969

My reply to the comments from both Tramp Graphics and SickleYield:
    Technically, it is possible to morph but difficult. I decided to geo-graft is a personal choice because I can't morph it close to what Kururu look like with my skill and the time I can afford to put on the task.

• tentmantentman Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Super happy to meet Kururu on G2F. Big thank you!! :)

k1s.jpg
    769 x 1000 - 182K
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

This is great, thanks! :)

edited December 1969

@tentman, lovely dress, nice scene and pose. Glad to see it is being used :)

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 988
    edited December 1969

I've only just discovered this, and I am astonished! :D

A long time ago I experimented with something similar, grafting BelBel's head onto Genesis' body. It had no expression morphs or anything though, so it wasn't really useable. I am so glad to see someone use that same concept and actually make something useable with it! Can't wait to try it out.

edited December 1969

...and Kururu was a good anime choice to use! She's cute!

Viku1_sm.jpg
    346 x 477 - 55K
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I don't know why I didn't think of geographing an anime head onto an existing figure's body. That actually seems like it would be a hell of a lot less work than it was to sculpt different head morphs for the figure and getting the damned eyes to work right.

Seriously, the curvature of the typical anime character's eyes extrapolated would mean the entire orb is actually larger then that of their head. Anime anatomy is weird.

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    ...and Kururu was a good anime choice to use! She's cute!

Good to know that it is useful for the others.
  • versora_vincentversora_vincent Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

Kururu! Oh, she's my favorite of the freebie characters. Thanks so much for converting her. I'll have lots of fun tinkering with her now that she's updated and can wear G2F clothes. Dōmo arigatōgozaimashita, again. ^_^

Is there any good tutorial on how to do this?  I was wanting to try for personal use with some other Anime style characters, but I am unsure the process to do so, to retain the head morphs like this. :)

3dOutlaw said:

Is there any good tutorial on how to do this?  I was wanting to try for personal use with some other Anime style characters, but I am unsure the process to do so, to retain the head morphs like this. :)

The tutorials I used when I did that are:
    I read the "Process Overview" of http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/assembling/tutorials/geo_grafting/start ;
    I followed these step-by-step tutorials: 
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24555/tutorial-starting-out-with-geo-grafting-repost
    http://tofusan.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2013/06/geo-grafting-f8.html (in Japanese, but the steps are illustrated by screenshots from the English version of DAZ Studio)

• Thank you Amy, it worked nicely with the full of morphs. Below is my first render.

In addition, Kururu is charming especially on expressions.
    If interested, take a look at an example of my tiny Web tool that I wrote 2 years ago:
    Web Multiple Images in a Frame  (Japanese page having Engligh version).

kururuG2F_tkybg.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 102K
    edited October 2015
    amy_aimei said:
    3dOutlaw said:

The tutorials I used when I did that are:
    I read the "Process Overview" of http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/assembling/tutorials/geo_grafting/start ;
    I followed these step-by-step tutorials: 
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24555/tutorial-starting-out-with-geo-grafting-repost
    http://tofusan.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2013/06/geo-grafting-f8.html (in Japanese, but the steps are illustrated by screenshots from the English version of DAZ Studio)

I did not get notified of your reply, sorry!  Thanks for the links!

After a quick review, these look good for the geo-grafting part (which now I think I can handle), but I am curious how you created the Kururu head, and kept its morphs?

It appears you removed the mesh of Kururu, but still kept the head and face morphs.  Is there steps on how to do this to a figure?

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on

OK, maybe I figured it out?  I added Kururu base, and then in the joint editor, removed all bones except Hip through head and children of head.  Then in the geometry editor I used the Lasso to select all polygons except the neck and head and children, hid them, and then deleted hidden polygons.  What I am left with is a Kururu head only, and the morphs of the head still work.

Was this the process you used...and then continued on to geograft to G2F?

3dOutlaw said:

OK, maybe I figured it out?  I added Kururu base, and then in the joint editor, removed all bones except Hip through head and children of head.  Then in the geometry editor I used the Lasso to select all polygons except the neck and head and children, hid them, and then deleted hidden polygons.  What I am left with is a Kururu head only, and the morphs of the head still work.

Was this the process you used...and then continued on to geograft to G2F?

Yes, it is like this.  Once I cut the Kururu's head out and I find the edges that match G2F's body, I added new vertices/polygons for Kururu's head to connect to G2F's body using Blender.  Adding new vertices will not break the old morphs if it is done carefully, i.e., keep the new vertices at the end of the mesh.  I manually edit the .OBJ file and .DSF files with Notepad++ to combine the first Kururu's head saved by DAZ Studio and the second Kururu's head (exported version of the first Kururu's head from DAZ Studio and modified using Blender, then imported back to DAZ Studio).
    This is the way I did it.  The process is very time consuming.  I wondered if there is a better way too. 

Oh, I forgot to tell you about the UV and texture.  I kept the UV of the exisiting vertices/polygons of the head by pinned them in Blender, then UV unwrap the head with the new vertices/polygons.  Then, I loaded the texture, and used the "texture paint" in Blender to paint the new polygons.  The clone brush is very useful in this case.  Kururu's texture is not that hard to paint manually.