A military vehicle I started work on. Thread Resurrected June 2017

13»

Comments

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839

The work on the underside is finished now but some of the linkage rods will need to be joined to interior levers near to the driving seat.

I know that a lot is wrong with this.  But I can try harder next time!

It's difficult to judge how much small parts should be simplified.

ChassisFinished3.jpg
    1900 x 911 - 250K
    Doc13.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 274K
  • Great work Marcus, I really like the details shown in the wireframe :)

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 322

Hi everyone,

Here are a couple of images of something I've begun in the past week. Hexagon behaved beautifully apart from a several crashes in 'decimating by slice'. That's the main action that causes occasional problems for me and it's generally caused by some earlier action that wasn't a good thing to do.

EDIT: I meant to say 'Tessellate by Slice'

Awesome; I also use Hexagon and Carrara together including ultimate unwrap 3d pro.

Thanks WeeDangerousJohn and I Samuel, for the comments.

Hexagon is a treasure of a program and so is Carrara for hobbyists like me - probably for some professionals also.

I haven't tried much with UV unwrapping yet - once or twice in Carrara only.  I have 3d Coat but have only scratched the surface of that.

Today I continued to build the interior which is pretty much a waste of time for the model because, like the engine, will be out of sight.  But I want to finish as much as I can as a learning challenge since I got this far with it.   The trouble with the interior is that it is stuffed with parts, some with no symmetry, reaching up into the turret.  So I will probably not attempt to do all of it.

The following two pictures show where I'm at so far.  The parts are just being shaped roughly until I can fit all this to the chassis, then they will be adjusted for scale.

Interior1.jpg
    1900 x 911 - 126K
    Interior2.jpg
    1900 x 911 - 136K

The Interior as far as I will finish it.

I have still to move a few bits around at the driver's end and build the bits to join the steering to the hub underneath,  The other links to rods underneath are fitted.

I've copied the lack of symmetry of some parts as far as I can from references and the seats have different sizes as per references.  The strange piece of square trunking goes up to fit to the big cannon/gun thing inside the turret.  I have no idea what it does - silencer? smoke trap? giant counterweight spring?  I just don't know.  (Actually, in spite of having done a fair amount of car repair work, I don't know how some of the bits of this vehicle work.  I know that bits and pieces such as link rods and so on are not well made in this model - I stretched their entry points too much in places to get a fit).

Anyway, after the finishing touches, I'll take a look over the old exterior body and fittings and see if I can put the whole thing together finally.

Interior5.jpg
    1649 x 912 - 175K
    Interior6.jpg
    1649 x 912 - 141K
    Interior7.jpg
    1649 x 912 - 143K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I know that a lot is wrong with this.  But I can try harder next time!

There is a lot more right than wrong. wink  I took a look at a bunch of DAZ autos... they all lack detail and took many shortcuts.

It's difficult to judge how much small parts should be simplified.

As simplified as you can get away with and have them look good or give the illusion of looking good.

The strange piece of square trunking goes up to fit to the big cannon/gun thing inside the turret.  I have no idea what it does - silencer? smoke trap? giant counterweight spring?  I just don't know.  (Actually, in spite of having done a fair amount of car repair work, I don't know how some of the bits of this vehicle work. 

Guess I'd better not sign up for a guided tour. :)

Sorry for the delay in replying, John, I had hoped to do more but today I got some more work done on this project.

I don't own many vehicles from the DAZ store or elsewhere (I got some free with Poser) but those I have are great to study and learn from.  What always impresses me is the way the creators succeed in making things look as they should.  The hinges I've done don't bear looking at close up but the PAs make hinges look like hinges with rivets and chamfered edges.  It's the same with the car batteries, seats, pedals and so on.  I think it could be worth starting individual projects for commonly-used items such as fire-extinguishers, fans and so on.  That way a detailed item is all ready to import as required.

I decided that the finished model should have opening doors and such, so I will probably put more details inside the upper hull and the turret after all.

A couple of pics - some proportions are wrong and I forgot to tweak the faces for the door opening before deleting them.

BodyJune06.jpg
    1900 x 911 - 136K
    Body2June06.jpg
    1900 x 911 - 119K
  • I've put in some more work on this, just a little bit at a time.

I put more details into the interior and have started making a new turret with what details I can get references for.  The references are not at all clear so I'm just following them to a point and making do.

TurretInside.jpg
    1633 x 855 - 101K
    TurretUnderside.jpg
    1633 x 855 - 114K
    TurretUnderside2.jpg
    1633 x 855 - 94K
    Wireless.jpg
    1633 x 855 - 108K
    Doc10.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 473K

Looking good Marcus!

• Excellent work Marcus :)

• To John and John - the two Johns.

Thanks again, both of you for commenting again, you have both done so before and knowing that the thread is being looked at gives me a reason for showing more images.

I hope no-one thinks that I'm someone who says 'hey, I made another tube, box, hinge or whatever for the model, now I must show the world'.  Other people post amazing work and show just one picture.  In this thread the project grew along with my learning and I post images in the hope that some others might like to see them.  If I ever flick through a 3D magazine in a store, I'm always interested in any wireframe WIP so I hope this has the same interest for some others.

My images are just what I capture as I go along or I try the model in other software.  Yesterday I tried it in Poser 11 and was actually only putting it there to see some of the different render styles that Poser can deliver.  What did please me, though, was that a Poser figure sitting in the driver's seat fitted well and that his head was level with the viewing hatch.  Now I need to make a gap for him to see out of - then I can raise the visor.

Question for anyone - in Carrara, an object's hot point can be moved from the centre by using the arrow gizmo while CAPS LOCK is on.  Can the hot point be moved in Hexagon?  I'm looking to rotate the turret and have doors open, etc. 

HumberPoser14.jpg
    1085 x 861 - 382K
    HumberPoser4.jpg
    1085 x 861 - 393K
  • Actually, I took a look back at this page and realized how often I've shown just the same things - sorry about the over-exposure.  It really will be soon finished - there aren't any major bits left!

HotPoint in Carrara can only be moved while Caps Lock is On... Correct... be sure to turn it off again after placement.  Note that if you have a polgon where you want to place it you can just find it's coords and make sure that the HotPoint is placed even with it.  In Carrara there is also an checkbox option to enable you to unlock the Hotpoint.

I must confess... my modeling has become better now that I'm showing others my models and getting feedback.  What helps me is when someone points out something wrong or a better and/or faster way to accomplish what I want.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Very cool model, Marcus! Bravo, my friend! yes I love this!

• Thanks, Dartanbeck, for your (as always) generous comments.

I'm glad you like the work and now that you've re-raised the thread which started such a long way back I'm reminded that I need to finish this thing!  I wasn't going to post any more unless it was finished.

The last work I put into it was months ago and I made a list of about a dozen smallish things left to do.  But other things in life always take over.  I'll dig out that list, though and try to put an end to this finally!

I did take a stab at using Carrara's 3d painting tools on a copy of the body hull just to see whether I might have a go at giving this a texture.  The colours I used were just to try things out - the real vehicle is uniformly drab olive green with a few markings depending on which of the various allied forces was using it.  So it would mainly just need some rust and mud but the UV unwrapping is something I've scarcely tried doing yet and there are many parts to deal with.

The images below are the results of Carrara's 3d painting but rendered in Poser with the figure a lot smaller than would be in the real thing.  (In one of the renders - in my final post above - the Poser figure can be glimpsed in the driver's seat).

Dartanbeck, I've sent you a PM

UVPaintedHull.jpg
    1085 x 861 - 432K
    UVPaintedHull2.jpg
    1085 x 861 - 369K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Very cool! I've also heard that Hexagon has 3d Paint (?) Kinda eager to try that out too! At least for sure the UV Editing tools. Having so much fun in Carrara, it's hard to get myself dragged into Hexagon - as much as I seem to love it when I do have it loaded up - though I really haven't done much in it yet, but look around and make a few morphs, etc.,