Strand-based hair - need testers

perlkperlk Posts: 854
edited July 2022 in Freebies

Looking for someone who can try out my SBH I am working on. I am having a hell of a time getting it to work right, and would love if someone else could test it and give feedback on maybe what I'm doing wrong.

It looks great initially, but it's when I save the hair cap and the SBH vanishes when you turn PR view on - but then if you reset the x,y,z Parameters it works.

Any volunteers?

strand-hair-promo.png
800 x 800 - 697K
Post edited by perlk on

Comments

• AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

He perlk,

What would I have to do as a tester? I know nothing about SBH except how to buy it from DAZ, install it with DAZ Central and put it on the model's head. That's as far as my knowledge goes. If you could explain to me what this job entails, I would be able to tell if I can help...

• WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

I'm in the same boat as AOBB, willing to help but I am not experienced with SBH.
    But then again it would be a good learning oportunity for me.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

What version of Daz Studio are you using. There were some parenting issues in early versions of the Strand-Based hair that seem to be resolved for me in DS 4.20.1.43 Public beta.

• perlkperlk Posts: 854

barbult said:

What version of Daz Studio are you using. There were some parenting issues in early versions of the Strand-Based hair that seem to be resolved for me in DS 4.20.1.43 Public beta.

This is good to know. I'm using 4.20 Pro, but not Beta. Will that make a difference, do you think?

@AOBB and @Websoul - All you need to do is install it, apply it to G8F, and then try posing your model as you normally would. I just want to make sure that the hair sticks to her head. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I can see from your render that it looks like she just took off a hat of some sort but otherwise, it looks great! I like it.

I have messed with SBH a little. There is a radio button you press on / off to get SBH to "follow" the model when you pose the model and the SBH doesn't follow. In the "Parameters" tab for the SBH turn On the "Apply Transformation" radio button at the top to get it to transform on the X, Y, Z and turn the radio button back off if need be (sometimes, not all the time in my experience).

• WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

perlk said:

@AOBB and @Websoul - All you need to do is install it, apply it to G8F, and then try posing your model as you normally would. I just want to make sure that the hair sticks to her head. 

I'd love to help out and test this for you.

• UnseenUnseen Posts: 619

I can test it too if you wish.

Thanks @Websoul and @Unseen - PMs sent!

perlk said:

barbult said:

This is good to know. I'm using 4.20 Pro, but not Beta. Will that make a difference, do you think?

I would expect 4.20 pro release version to be new enough, but I don't have it installed to test.

In that case, perlk, I can do it too. Would you send me the files?

perlk said:

Thanks @Websoul and @Unseen - PMs sent!

Thank you for the file. Sent you a PM with the test results. I use the latest official version of Daz Studio (4.20 I think).

@AOBB - done!

@Unseen - thank you! I got them. I'm thinking I might ditch this version and remake on G8F's head, so the hair fits will work for the G8F morphs. 

Or maybe it won't. SBH is a huge headache.

Thanks, perlk! Already sent you a response with results as a PM. The hair looks good to me (in a nutshell).

Fabulous, thank you! I might release it with the caveat that it may not work for all model shapes, and if people have problems, they can have their money back :-)

edited July 2022

I think I was wrong about the strand-based hair parenting problem being fixed in 4.20. I think I was simply lucky once. Today it fails for me again if I parent the strand-based hair to the scalp, save the hair, and reload it.

This is what does seem to work for me:

• Create a scalp geometry and use transfer utility to rig it to G8F, or use an existing rigged scalp
    • Fit the scalp to G8F but do not parent the scalp to G8F
    • Create the strand-based hair elements fit to the scalp
    • Do not parent the strand based hair elements to the scalp
    • Create a new group with the scalp and strand-based hair elements parented to the new group
    • Select G8F (nothing is parented to her)
    • File/Save as/Wearable Preset and select the new group as the thing to save

With this method, I can load the saved wearable preset on any morphed G8F and it will follow the morphs. Fit may not be exactly perfect, just like any other autofollow scalp doesn't follow perfectly. I generally add morphs to my scalps to adjust forehead depth, etc. Sometimes I even create FHMs for extreme shapes.

Oops, I didn't mean to name my scalp "scalp scalp" but it doesn't matter what the name is.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 154709.jpg
    915 x 536 - 62K
    Post edited by barbult on

Super helpful - thank you @barbult. I'm about 80% of the way there. I think my problem is I fit the scalp to G8F AND parented it, maybe that's what was causing the hair to have the Y and Z translate parameters get changed randomly?

If you parent the hair to the scalp instead of fitting, it does get wonky. 

It sucks that it is THAT hard wink

edited July 2022

@barbult - you are a freakin' genius. Not parenting but fitting to hair cap OR G8F worked a treat.

hairtest.JPG
    1819 x 1437 - 161K
    Post edited by perlk on

perlk said:

Super helpful - thank you @barbult. I'm about 80% of the way there. I think my problem is I fit the scalp to G8F AND parented it, maybe that's what was causing the hair to have the Y and Z translate parameters get changed randomly?

If you parent the hair to the scalp instead of fitting, it does get wonky. 

It sucks that it is THAT hard wink

parenting = wonky for me, too.

perlk said:

@barbult - you are a freakin' genius. Not parenting but fitting to hair cap OR G8F worked a treat.

Congratulations on your success!!! I'm glad to have helped.

edited July 2022

Thanks! Also, for @Unseen - I discovered that "Apply Transformation" needs to be turned on under Parameters on the SBH for it to fit smaller models. I tried it with Young Mckenzie and had the same trouble you had with smaller models.

It'll make my first free item to have an "instructions" null item in the content library. 

hairtest2.JPG
    1881 x 1553 - 306K
    Post edited by perlk on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    edited July 2022

i've used SBH extensively.

SBH items (or groups of SBH items) should be unparented or else it will get double transformations. (the Haircap itself ofc should be parented.)

I think the 'Apply Transformations' parameter is a bit buggy. Generally after fitting, 'apply transformations' should be changed to 'On', but if i remember corectly it's not always a case of having it 'turned on/off' that causes issues.  Sometimes you have to just toggle it to whatever setting it currently isn't set to in order to get the hair to follow it's fitted scene item.

SBH are not readily shareable because Daz in their infinite wisdom chose not to create a support asset type for it so only thing you can do when sharing as an asset is to first load the wearable haircap as a normal 'wearable/attachment' type asset, and then load the SBH in a separate step as a 'set' type asset, and then manually edit the 'fit to...' parameter to be the hair cap. (and then sometimes toggle the 'Apply Transformations' parameter if it's buggy?).  Perhaps someone could write a script to do this all on a single load, but at moment its laborious.  Good luck trying to explain this to Daz users.

The only SBH items i've seen in Daz store (but i could be wrong) are the body hair that comes with the G8M Roderick.

There is also some freebies on Deviantart.

Post edited by lilweep on
    edited July 2022

When I save the Strand-Based hair as I described above, I can load the saved wearable on any G8F character, and the scalp and hair load in the correct place, properly fit to the G8F character, and autofollow the G8F head morphs. There is no manual work involved.

Post edited by barbult on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

barbult said:

When I save the Strand-Based hair as I described above, I can load the saved wearable on any G8F character, and the scalp and hair load in the correct place, properly fit to the G8F character, and autofollow the G8F head morphs. There is no manual work involved.

oh lol i didnt read that post.

I see you have the haircap unparented too. I guess that is the thing that makes it work - a gamechanger. you probably explained this to me before at some point but i forgot.

edited July 2022

perlk said:

Thanks! Also, for @Unseen - I discovered that "Apply Transformation" needs to be turned on under Parameters on the SBH for it to fit smaller models. I tried it with Young Mckenzie and had the same trouble you had with smaller models.

It'll make my first free item to have an "instructions" null item in the content library. 

Thank you very much for the suggestion. So the cap should be unparented and the hair should be parented to the cap and the Apply Transformation property turned on? I tried but the hair still loads at the wrong place with smaller characters... I don't know if I am doing anything wrong... 

Post edited by Unseen on

Unseen said:

perlk said:

Thank you very much for the suggestion. So the cap should be unparented and the hair should be parented to the cap and the Apply Transformation property turned on? I tried but the hair still loads at the wrong place with smaller characters... I don't know if I am doing anything wrong... 

I'll upload a new file and you can try it again.

Unseen said:

perlk said:

The hair should NOT be parented to the cap.

Yes - don't parent the cap, use the "Fit To" button to fit it, but don't parent it when it asks you if you want to parent it.

Also - I created the promo and loaded several models. I had to make sure "Apply Transformation" button was clicked for the right hair to stick to the right cap on the right model.

edited July 2022

Thank you so much for your help,barbult and perlk! Now everything works after having fit the hair to the cap in the parameters tab..I was still parenting the hair to the cap at some point and it's why it didn't work.

You were pointing at the moon and I was examining the finger! :)

Thank you again! :)

Post edited by Unseen on